Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Now, where have I heard THAT before?
My apologies for echoing your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
You guys all know you have to do maintenance/repairs/cleaning and upkeep on firearms. Especially the ones you TRUST YOUR LIFE to. I have those little clear plastic fishing tackle boxes with dividers from WAL-MART full of replacement parts sitting at home. AR-15, GLOCK, SIG, Beretta, AK-47 etc. I buy parts all the time when someone has a special or a sale. Sometimes at gun shows that's all I buy. If that gun goes down you can USE another or repair that one. Yet another reason to have more than just #1. I've had guns down for a month or more waiting on a back ordered part. I've also had friends come over in a panic in the middle of the night to buy a part off me. They have a match the next day, going shooting, hunting or whatever. They need that part ASAP. I already have one in the little tackle boxes!

You may or may not be surprised at the number of people who don't understand this. OR they claim they have the cleanest and best maintained firearm ever and you take a good look and think to yourself that this firearm has never seen a cleaning pad or bore brush.

(I won't bust your chops about walmart )

Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You may or may not be surprised at the number of people who don't understand this. OR they claim they have the cleanest and best maintained firearm ever and you take a good look and think to yourself that this firearm has never seen a cleaning pad or bore brush.

(I won't bust your chops about walmart )
I already know what you are going to say. It is true. They sell special models that are made specifically for them. The wood might not quite be as nice, maybe a nearly invisible second etc.! That's how they sell so cheap! As for the dirty firearms go......... yeah, I know what you mean. Their idea of cleaning and mine is two totally different things. I completely field strip and clean after every firing. That is the same for 20 rounds or 500 rounds. After about 3000-5000 I detail strip it. That means totally taken down. Every single part out and just a bare frame or receiver. It's the only way to get all the gunk, powder residue and whatnot completely out. Gun Scrubber (safe for synthetics) works great in both the field strip and detail strip cleanings. It degreases the weapon and flushes all the crud out. You must not forget to re-lubricate and re-oil after though. DON'T FORGET IT!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Amazon.com: Gun Scrubber® Synthetic Safe Cleaner

Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM

A 1911 should be detailed stripped after about every 1,500-3000 rounds. Especially if you are shooting lead semi-wadcutter reloads.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Every so often I get a cusomer that complains the gun used to be accurate, and swears it's clean. LOL the mung and metals I get would fill a table spoon.

I don't allow anyone to watch anymore. The last guy swore I was gonna wear out his bore with a bronze brush. Maybe that was possible when barrels were made of real wrought iron, but I haven't seen a barrel hammer lap welded and still be in use in my life.

If there are any, they would have to made by someone like Wallace Gustler or Hershal House. That is well above my present skills sets.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Every so often I get a cusomer that complains the gun used to be accurate, and swears it's clean. LOL the mung and metals I get would fill a table spoon.

I don't allow anyone to watch anymore. The last guy swore I was gonna wear out his bore with a bronze brush. Maybe that was possible when barrels were made of real wrought iron, but I haven't seen a barrel hammer lap welded and still be in use in my life.

If there are any, they would have to made by someone like Wallace Gustler or Hershal House. That is well above my present skills sets.
Get it as clean as you can get it Mac. You think she is shiny. Then use this. MORE CRAP COMES OUT!
Bore Cleaners - Gun Bore Cleaning and Conditioning Shooter's Choice (http://www.shooters-choice.com/mc7.html - broken link)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM

BTW, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods and gun shops all sell it!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Next time I get out with any money not already spent, and I'll look into that stuff. I got a zillion cleaners that eat copper for breakfast though. I don't go shopping often, and any good gun store, or any store for that matter is a ways away. I go out more in summer time than I do in winter too.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I already know what you are going to say. It is true. They sell special models that are made specifically for them. The wood might not quite be as nice, maybe a nearly invisible second etc.! That's how they sell so cheap! As for the dirty firearms go......... yeah, I know what you mean. Their idea of cleaning and mine is two totally different things. I completely field strip and clean after every firing. That is the same for 20 rounds or 500 rounds. After about 3000-5000 I detail strip it. That means totally taken down. Every single part out and just a bare frame or receiver. It's the only way to get all the gunk, powder residue and whatnot completely out. Gun Scrubber (safe for synthetics) works great in both the field strip and detail strip cleanings. It degreases the weapon and flushes all the crud out. You must not forget to re-lubricate and re-oil after though. DON'T FORGET IT!!!
Better look at those Buck and Gerber knives at WAL-MART closely as well. Some are stamped U.S.A. and some are China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness