U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:15 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,227,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Next time I get out with any money not already spent, and I'll look into that stuff. I got a zillion cleaners that eat copper for breakfast though. I don't go shopping often, and any good gun store, or any store for that matter is a ways away. I go out more in summer time than I do in winter too.
That 1st shot accuracy guarantee isn't any s*** Mac. All us guys used to use Hoppe's Old #9. That is until I ran out right in the middle of cleaning one and had to borrow some off another guy. He had the Shooters Choice and my patch came out with the copper fouling blue/green crap on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I know what you people are thinking. I should quit my day job right? LOL I'm the guy who happens to be in the gun shop when the staff can't help or doesn't know. I'm always asked after the staff says...... "hell , I don't know, ask Axle"! LOL LOL I can even tell what weapon fired the empty case without seeing it. Police say.......... "what is this from"? Me........ well, see that rectangle mark on the primer? It's a GLOCK! LOL "Is this a piece of s*** Axle"? "I'm thinking of buying 50 of them to issue"? LOL LOL Stuff like that! LOL

Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM

Mac and Nite Ryder...... if you have a DVD player and are curious as how to completely detail strip those 1911's, I recommend this DVD. I don't know if you guys ever had one all the way down before, but with this DVD in hand, it's a cake walk! I have friends that always want to borrow it from me. I let them because that is one less I have to do for them! LOL Ron goes very-very slow and shows you step by step what needs to be removed and what to leave alone. This DVD will knock your socks off! Complete Disassembly & Reassembly | Colt 1911 Auto | DVD-Wilson Combat

Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,834,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
also want to be able to carry it easily.

What's my best option? I'm going to call a couple of local ranges and find out about training and to see if they rent guns...I live in a restrictive state and have to jump through hoops to be legally armed (which is my intent.)

Recommendations? Browsing gun forums and online gun stores is a bit overwhelming.
For home a semi-auto 7.62 rifle. Being a long-arm it should be easier from a legal standpoint. Plus the 7.62 is a killing round, not a wounding one, and the AK-47 type rifles are easy to maintain, reliable, and get the job done.

Should run you 600-800 dollars.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM

1,497 posts, read 2,972,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
For home a semi-auto 7.62 rifle. Being a long-arm it should be easier from a legal standpoint. Plus the 7.62 is a killing round, not a wounding one, and the AK-47 type rifles are easy to maintain, reliable, and get the job done.

I dont agree with this at all. Seriously a 7.62 for home defense? Yea no need to worry about collateral damage in that house, I hope the OP doesnt live in an apartment or condo, or have neighbors within 2 miles......

And could you specify rounds that are specifically manufactured to injure and not kill.... perhaps the anti gun libs will get on board if manufacturers start touting "our rounds dont kill, we design them to injure"...... please.

You dont need an AK47 or AR10/AR15 to defend your home, not very practical for the average guy looking to get a weapon to protect his family.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I dont agree with this at all. Seriously a 7.62 for home defense? Yea no need to worry about collateral damage in that house, I hope the OP doesnt live in an apartment or condo, or have neighbors within 2 miles......

And could you specify rounds that are specifically manufactured to injure and not kill.... perhaps the anti gun libs will get on board if manufacturers start touting "our rounds dont kill, we design them to injure"...... please.

You dont need an AK47 or AR10/AR15 to defend your home, not very practical for the average guy looking to get a weapon to protect his family.
Though the above post was a little off on info, I can respect what he was trying to say. It doesn't matter if it is a handgun or a rifle. LOL As for the YOU DON'T NEED A AK-47 OR A AR-10 OR AR-15 comment..........that's your opinion. Not every gun owner lives in New York City BTW. I could engage in a over 300 YARD shot easily on my property. What if the guy is shooting back at you with a rifle? I don't know about you guys but I'm not taking a handgun to a rifle or shotgun fight if I can help it!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Of course something like that never happens in LA-LA Land, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_y2...eature=related

Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM

You may need a handgun or you may need a rifle. Just get something for Christ sake! Richard Ramirez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hruhe6n7Stk

Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM

David Berkowitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Charles Manson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness