Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,505,913 times

Advertisements

Oh, yeah, one more war story:

After Hurricane Frederic in 1979, I pulled most of a pine tree out of the grille, windshield wipers and engine compartment of my '76 Camaro LT (whut was a Z-28 in all but name, with MUCH cheaper insurance).

Though it was completely buried under debris, the only real damage to the car was the loss of my C.B. antenna, and I found it on the ground behind the car. All I had to do was replace one bolt, and I wuz 10-8 on the frequency again.

Musta been livin' right or sumpthin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,303,173 times
You guys all know you have to do maintenance/repairs/cleaning and upkeep on firearms. Especially the ones you TRUST YOUR LIFE to. I have those little clear plastic fishing tackle boxes with dividers from WAL-MART full of replacement parts sitting at home. AR-15, GLOCK, SIG, Beretta, AK-47 etc. I buy parts all the time when someone has a special or a sale. Sometimes at gun shows that's all I buy. If that gun goes down you can USE another or repair that one. Yet another reason to have more than just #1. I've had guns down for a month or more waiting on a back ordered part. I've also had friends come over in a panic in the middle of the night to buy a part off me. They have a match the next day, going shooting, hunting or whatever. They need that part ASAP. I already have one in the little tackle boxes!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,142,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The very shortest shotgun I ever owned was a LC Smith someone else cut, and did it well, at 18 and 1/4 inches, but that is my bare minium, to buy a used gun. Once I run out a tape to check if any shot gun is less than that, I put it down and wipe it clean walk away...

If I wanted a shot gun like gun less than that I would build it for black powder. As a hunter I don't want any shot gun shorter than 18 and 1/4 inches anyway. I will never own a pistol grip shot gun, it must have a full stock for the way i hunt.
Mossberg makes a package deal with standard stock and pistol grip, with 2 barrels, I think. An 18 1/2" and 24". Good package to have something for hunting & also close quarter home defense if needed. I would not buy a pistol grip I couldn't change. Standard stock is more versatile. I can hold stock between my arm & chest for a more compact stance.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
I don't see me with any pistol grip shot gun for much of any reason. Once I had a Hi Point 12 ga riot gun, which I don't think can be had new anymore. You could load that gun from the bottom at the same times you were shooting it. It was a real stout shotgun, and ran just fine. If I ever get to find a used one, I will try to buy it.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,907,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't see me with any pistol grip shot gun for much of any reason. Once I had a Hi Point 12 ga riot gun, which I don't think can be had new anymore. You could load that gun from the bottom at the same times you were shooting it. It was a real stout shotgun, and ran just fine. If I ever get to find a used one, I will try to buy it.
Remington Wingmasters from LE trade-ins are quite good for home defense, especially if they have already been rebuilt. As a woman with a shorter LOP (length of pull) I prefer a wood stock that is easier to cut down to the correct LOP than a synthetic factory stock. No use at all for a pistol grip on a shotty. All it does is get hung up on the clothes when reloading.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 12-24-2010 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,184,213 times
My suggestion for a personal defense firearm is to choose one you can learn to use with competency and confidence. Get one you can afford to practice with regularly and become really familiar and comfortable with. A well placed shot with a .32 is much better than a miss with a .44 magnum.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,505,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
A well placed shot with a .32 is much better than a miss with a .44 magnum.
Now, where have I heard THAT before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Shooting accurately with a .22 is FAR better than spraying rounds all over the place with a .44 magnum (and missing your intended target with all of them...).

Old 12-25-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Now, where have I heard THAT before?
Buying a quality firearm that performs, is accurate and holds it's resale value is important too. Just like practicing with it so YOU WON'T MISS! So many people buy a piece of crap and get discouraged when they can't shoot it. Some of it may be them, but then again some must be the gun as well. When you can buy a BRAND NEW GLOCK for about $479-$500, it is stupid to buy crap! I bought my Beretta 92FS matte black for $450 brand new. I also have a Italian stainless 92FS. That one was more but it is a all made in Italy stainless. My 96G Police that I bought from the PD was $205 with night sights and three factory LE mags. Lesson to learn...... why buy s%$# when you can buy quality for the same or just a bit more. I paid $350 for my S&W 642 brand new. Check prices and shop around. Gun shops around here run sales all the time!

Old 12-25-2010, 12:33 AM

For that matter, WAL-MART and Dick's Sporting Goods runs sales on Remington 870 Express and Mossberg 500 as well. Some come in combo packs with 2 or 3 different barrels even. You get a 18 1/2" riot with improved choke, and a 28" vent rib with full choke or even improved, modified and full with the wrench. Shop around to get the best buy. You won't be sorry you did!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 AM

S&W M&P is becoming a favorite across America by Police Departments as well. They are pretty dang nice. I have fired them from friends but don't own one yet. Notice I said yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2qkQ_F08fI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness