Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times

Advertisements

"Thinking that 5 acres is not enough space is such a crazy concept to me!" If you have ever had to live next to a psycho neighborfrmh*ll. You would NOT say this. Esp. since living in an unincorporated area with zoning codes that are from the 1920s, that allow him to do just about anything with his property that he pleases... it has been rough for us. Only 9 more years here, yeah!

Yeah, you are right, it was probably stupid for someone to build a house where they did, but there is no accounting for taste and if they have more money than brains...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The ones that will help are a small percentage of the total number, and are likely the ones living closest to you. If something bad enough happens, it's a toss of the coin, whether or not the other 9,980 people will likewise help each other out, or start looting/rioting.

A rural area is better for survivability in any situation I can think off. Land to have your own food source, wood for heating if without power (a major issue with peak oil hitting now), less people to present a problem, most people around will be armed and will quickly take care of any looters from a city who come far enough...

everything in a city needs to come from somewhere else, incl. food, fuel, water, etc. think of a city without power a few days...no water, no heat or AC if in the South, major security issues criminals will take advantage of (no lights, no alarms, police too busy...). On top of that, sewage in municipal systems will backup unless you have a valve to shut off your sewage connection. That happened in the town I'm at the edge of now. No power, etc., and sewage backed up in homes in the low lying areas.
No offense, but you seem to be painting all cities as the same. My neighborhood has a great family feel, has a very close community and has stuck together during hard times. Scenes you see on TV with rioting/looting are a small minority. Cases where neighbors pitch in, stick together and help each other through emergencies are far more common, they just don't sell news like the rare riot.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No offense, but you seem to be painting all cities as the same. My neighborhood has a great family feel, has a very close community and has stuck together during hard times. Scenes you see on TV with rioting/looting are a small minority. Cases where neighbors pitch in, stick together and help each other through emergencies are far more common, they just don't sell news like the rare riot.
The veneer of civilization falls off when people are hungry, cold, etc. In a truly serious scenario, I don't want to be anywhere near a city. Any city.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The veneer of civilization falls off when people are hungry, cold, etc. In a truly serious scenario, I don't want to be anywhere near a city. Any city.
If you get hungery look me up. Most folks passin thru I'll feed once, your an exception. Bring guns.....

Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If you get hungery look me up. Most folks passin thru I'll feed once, your an exception. Bring guns.....
Thank for the offer. If things get real bad, I have a few isolated areas in the woods here picked out, if I have no land of my own to go to here. Places where the game population is good, and the access for people not so good. Some relatives have some property too. The family's hunting camp in Northern Maine would be a nice hideout if I made it up there...being so far from cities and just a short hike to the Canadian border at that if that became useful...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
... I am self-sufficient...

... I am simply saying that having 10,000 neighbors within one square mile is a lot more people to help out than having 1 neighbor within that one square mile.

... My neighborhood has a population density of about 15,000 people per square mile
No community can be self-sufficient when they have 10,000 or 15,000 people crammed into a square mile, surrounded by equal population densities on each side.

Very few places on this planet could support that high a population all in one mile simply for potable water [ignoring for a moment food and fuel].

There is no place anywhere on this planet where one square mile of land can produce food enough to feed 15,000 people. It does not exist.

You are not self-sufficient when inside of such a city, saying that this massive population is going to 'share'. Share what? Share in that which they do not have?

No population of that size can support itself on that tiny a piece of land.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No community can be self-sufficient when they have 10,000 or 15,000 people crammed into a square mile, surrounded by equal population densities on each side.

Very few places on this planet could support that high a population all in one mile simply for potable water [ignoring for a moment food and fuel].

There is no place anywhere on this planet where one square mile of land can produce food enough to feed 15,000 people. It does not exist.

You are not self-sufficient when inside of such a city, saying that this massive population is going to 'share'. Share what? Share in that which they do not have?

Never mind all that..15,000 people with no working sewer system..think about that one.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Regardless of the price, the only say you have over the abutting land (outside of enforcing existing zoning regs, etc.) is to own it. They may be mean, rude, etc for doing what they did and Karma will get them, hopefully, but in the meantime you control your own destiny.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Self-sufficient given what scenario? You seem to assume there is a chance civilized society as we know it will cease to exist, in which case you are right, however that is a very, very crazy notion.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Self-sufficient given what scenario? You seem to assume there is a chance civilized society as we know it will cease to exist, in which case you are right, however that is a very, very crazy notion.
You said that you are 'self-sufficient' then you also said that your neighborhood has a population density of about 15,000 people per square mile.

I am pointing out that these are completely contradictory statements.

They can not co-exist in any context, at any time.

I said nothing about society ceasing to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness