Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Reason I posted this in this sub-forum is that sexual violence is another long term consequence of prolonged social/economic/natural disaster. It is one, IMO, we try not to think about.

Children of rape: Latest legacy of Haiti quake - Health - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Gives some plausibility to the term "rape and pillage" doesn't it ?
When I saw TV footage of what when on in NO after Katrina and read what went on in NYC after a power outage, I knew things would not go well if something bad happened in the US..either economic or natural disaster. Citizens outnumber law enforcement and if TSHTF lawlessness will rule at the onset.

What can one person do though except prepare themselves and alert their family members ?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gives some plausibility to the term "rape and pillage" doesn't it ?
When I saw TV footage of what when on in NO after Katrina and read what went on in NYC after a power outage, I knew things would not go well if something bad happened in the US..either economic or natural disaster. Citizens outnumber law enforcement and if TSHTF lawlessness will rule at the onset.

What can one person do though except prepare themselves and alert their family members ?
Teach young women the importance of learning to defend themselves! Talk about it to their parents. Promote the importance of women's self defense in schools and churches.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I hadn't thought of that myself, but now it's pointed out I can see it clearly. Anytime that things go to shtf, I expected bad would happen from man, but forgot this 'bad'. If it happens here (USA) and mob rule comes, things won't be so nicey nice anymore for a while.

I don't know any young women, and the ones I see are not going to listen a bit to me. The best I can do is not be a raper if and when the time comes, and on that I am certain I won't be.

As was mentioned elsewhere about that idea as a 'trade item'; won't be lookin' fer that either.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I ditto what Mac_Muz said. I suspect there are other things some of us haven't thought about also, but when it is pointed out, it is so clear. I don't know that just young women will be targetted, I think even some older women need to be on the alert. Groups of younger maurading men might not be very picky if and when they see a lone female that could be an easy target. When it comes right down to it, I think we are all going to be in for some surprises. It is hard to prepare for everything.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Nite Ryder, I agree with what you say. The discussion of this topic still seems to be taboo to an extent in our society. Yet, if parents and grandparents of today's young women made their family members aware of the imporance and taught them some skills regarding awareness and defense, I think women as a whole, and moving forward, would be better "prepared" in general, and, more likely to pass on the discussion and the skills to their own one day.

So many young girls today are absolutely clueless when it comes to privacy, safety, and not painting themselves to be a target. They walk about in a complete fog with earbuds listening to music or texting away and posting photos along with personal info. online. Young men too for that matter.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Well just to add to the taboo, there is a significant Man on Man rape that occurs during civil breakdowns either with a single victim, or where one victim is forced to commit rape on the other.

It's not just the women that might need to watch out for this.

In today's information age, then should civil disturbances break out, then its not beyond the realms of possibility that someone somewhere is already collating a list of people who are potential targets should law enforcement (and/or enforceability) break down. This is a very good reason to maintain a highly restricted number of people who have access to your personal appearance, location, possibly habits and routines etc. (personal video's on youtube anyone [and do they contain anything that may tip of that person, like a dog, or alarm image]? Or Foursquare check in's on Facebook). This is not even including the locals who may be aware of your presence from personal contact.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Man on Man better not try any idea of that any place near me! That would be a sure way to die tied to a post, getting a real good sun burn, and with no scalp.

Yeah I miss things like this rape topic since I don't see a lot of people day to day in the first place. My son is grown in Iraq, and his son live with his mother less than 20 miles away.

Shopping younger women look at me as if I am the walking dead and don't know nuthin'. The best I can do is leave them alone. Just before Christmass shopping I saw a young women wearing buck a roo boots at Best Buy. I tried to talk to her, only wanting to knew where she bought the boots and she ran from me. My wife tried to speak with her and she ran from my wife. I lingered off a ways.

No young women will even talk to me in this time, so in shtf I would guess they won't do any better then.

The woman in the boots when my wife tried went on her cell phone in the store and swung her elbows and hips as if to say no not now, not ever..

This generation is real different.

Another reason I miss things like this is I don't see me running anywhere but staying here hidden in plain sight. In shtf I won't want to see anyone who doesn't call out my name real loud at 150 yards away.

If they don't know me I still want the same and then I will see what's to be done.

I won't need to go out, and infact have a old rusty chain to cross the road in with that has the old town dump sign roughly painted on it it still. I will want to lend the idea nothing worth anything is out back off the end of that road and for most people all there would be is trouble. Anyone who doesn't know me or in need of assistance will not be very welcomed.

Assistance is limited in shtf too. So many are so un-aware and I don't get it. I do my best for others here trying to get them to wake up.

The day you need that awareness won't be easy at the same time things go to hell in a hand basket.

OT: one examle is yesterday in Tilton NH there was a 40 car pile up. google that. This was in a little snow squall maybe they got an inch. I was out in the same thing, a short lasting white out, but I didn't crash, didn't even skid any and in my volvo wagon with summer tires on. These people have 0 awareness.

MO gal how do you teach awareness to the blinded by the light?

My take on that crash, hopin it's ok to use an a example, is the first guy lost it and the rest all looked. You go where you look, so anyone wanting out should have looked at a clear place. That is how mc riders look, and are trained to look. It works on 4 wheels too.

A woman needs to look at her surroundings and stay clear of some would be muggers, rapists and etc, but many seem way to caught up in themselves to bother. In time I have learned to tell a wacko nut case at 1/4 miles walking, I can tell a cop at that distance most of the time too. People use body language all the time and I can read threat .

I am at a loss to teach that.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
This type of behavior does not happen strictly as a result of economic or natural disaster, it is also a result of culture.
It is exactly the same kind of behavior seen in much of Africa, but not necessarily in other parts of the world.
Some cultures join together and work as a community to survive disaster, and other use disaster as an excuse to exploit the weak.
The point is, one of the most important aspects of being prepared, is to locate yourself within a community of people with like views, morality, and values, who are willing to stand together to protect their families and neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness