U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2011, 03:00 PM

16,448 posts, read 10,595,066 times

Advertisements

Disaster is in progress.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,372,529 times
jmellc, we seem somewhat alike. I will had over a 20 to street bum if he is honest though.. If I think he is lying i won't give him nuthin.

Once i looked a wreck to the point a street bum gave me a 20 or he tried to. I didn't need it, I had money, I just had ridden 100 miles in 108 degrees with 3 broken ribs and i did look bad.

I ain't a pretty boy in the first place, all sinew and cable body, with a pony tail and long hairs.

I would stand in line for $270.00 an hour wages, for something i don't know how to do. That work in the south for me was cake. I couldn't belive my luck tripping on that work on a USA tour. I still had the same broken ribs too, but that didn't stop me from lugging and bullin around much.

That paid for the room with plenty left over for real cajun foods, which was my first time. Lovely stuff, but my guts had a different opinion I bought a mess of roll aids after those meals.

I don't know why people do what they do, I don't do what they do most often.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:14 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,152,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
One can get a box of crackers for $1.00 at Dollar Tree. They also have jugs of water for $1.00, same with hand cleaner, paper towels, and toilet paper. Oh, also mid size jars of peanut butter. Probably would be a lot less than $40.00 for all that stuff.

And yeah, you're right cigarettes and lotto tickets are a complete waste of money.
Actually, Wal-Mart had their dirt cheapest crackers for less than $1.00. I didn't mention them because we tried them once & they weren't very good. I picked the cheapest crackers I knew to be any good.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
jmellc, we seem somewhat alike. I will had over a 20 to street bum if he is honest though.. If I think he is lying i won't give him nuthin.

Once i looked a wreck to the point a street bum gave me a 20 or he tried to. I didn't need it, I had money, I just had ridden 100 miles in 108 degrees with 3 broken ribs and i did look bad.

I ain't a pretty boy in the first place, all sinew and cable body, with a pony tail and long hairs.

I would stand in line for $270.00 an hour wages, for something i don't know how to do. That work in the south for me was cake. I couldn't belive my luck tripping on that work on a USA tour. I still had the same broken ribs too, but that didn't stop me from lugging and bullin around much.

That paid for the room with plenty left over for real cajun foods, which was my first time. Lovely stuff, but my guts had a different opinion I bought a mess of roll aids after those meals.

I don't know why people do what they do, I don't do what they do most often.
Yes Mac, we think a lot alike. I guess we've both seen a lot of people making their own bad luck & lashing out at those that try to help them. There's no crime in being poor or down on your luck. Those things can happen to anyone at any time, especially with these disasters thrown in. But beggars can't be choosers. They take our help or do without. A person's attitude has a lot to do with it. Someone refusing good work that you described is the height of foolishness. He may have found a future job for all we know.

I wonder what would happen to some people if every welfare office in the nation were to close today. Some have lived their whole lives on the dole & don't have a clue that someone has to pay for it all, or don't care. I guess we would have massive rioting, another emergency situation.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 PM

jmellc, Used to be i would give the shirt off my back to help others, still do if they take it right and also pitch in. Other wise I try once and quit.

I will work for free for the right people in the right places too, if they need it bad and can't pay a thin dime even.

Even in shtf i will offer feeding anyone once, but probably not twice. For twice labor in trade will have to happen, after all I labored to grow foods in excess of my needs. Eat N' Skeet policy works for me once....

It was a couple bus loads of folks I saw, maybe a few more busses than a couple I was busy nailing down shingles on a roof, so at a distance and I was happy to have the work.

I was there because i took up a old dream and rode a motorcyle from NH to Cal, Cal to Fla, and I was on my way to Fla. From Fla I turned back to Arkansas and went right into Oklahoma.

I was west bound in SD during the Katrina storm, but was in that storm area in LA by the 2nd week of Oct east bound. I was simply passing thru. That kind of a dream is a little more work than it might appear. It can be work to ride that kinda miles seeing the USA as best you can.

I could have crossed the USA 3 times one way just getting to cal, and again twice more getting to Fla. I am a kinda fool see?

Riding gets you right out there, all out doors in all kinds of weather, and you meet people that you would never meet driving a private car.

Anyone who asked me why, I told I want to see the USA before it's gone.

In some ways a lot of the USA is gone. i didn't get stopped once on that ride but I get stopped 3 times in my own state after i got back.

The first stop was for a registered but un-inspected motor vehical my car. We get 10 days for a sticker in that type situation and I have 9.5 days left.

The state police officer asked why my sticker was out of date and why the regi was brand new that day. I told him about the ride, and for that I got a 45 long lecture about no one has the ability to ride that long and far. I told the cop that this was news to me, and someone should have told me 10 months before when I left.

The next stop was for driving 30 minutes after sun set with just my parking lamps on. I was under a street light at a little store my wife bought water and tea in, and I failed to notice my head lights were off under a street light. I drove about 7 mph for 50 feet before I got bagged.

The last stop was in my 3/4 ton van, for a look see around as NH cops just hate vans. Cop saw tools nuthin but tools. It's what i do.......

Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM

2,069 posts, read 984,147 times
Default "Vote" ... "What Vote" !!! Run The Bum Out Of Town !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Occasionally I look through the threads on here and the common thread seems to be preparation for an imminent disaster or civil unrest here in the U.S.. I am a fan of Coast to Coast AM nightly radio show and many of their topics also center on this theme. It often reminds me of the senario in Stephen King's The Stand, in which America collapses after the gov't accidentally leaks a biologically engineered "super virus". Sometimes that "fictional" book almost seems plausible.

My question, I guess, is do you truly believe life as we know it in America could completely unravel? How likely is this and is it imminent? How would the average person even begin to prepare for something like this? I am saving to buy my first firearm as I already live in a high crime area although I will be moving soon to a very rural part of the U.S. I just don't know after that. Thanks for listening!
lilred0005 !!! ... Excellent Material That Deserves Serious Consideration!

Your word "Unravel" may well be more accurate than you ever imagined when applied to the current status of the States !

Absolutely no loyal and patriotic citizen of this beloved nation would ever desire the collapse and or demise of this beloved nation.

But let us now keep in mind the exceedingly foolish "New Rules" that "The One" & crew have so incredulously heaped upon the "Democracy Game" !... As unbelievable as it sounds these muppets has decreed that it is OK to organize a big bunch of blokes, have that bunch put on quite the protest, keep it going for a bloody long time, have the press side with the blighters and take up fer em no matter what they do ... and don't let up with the until the duly elected representative is forced to bugger off !!! ... What ?

So now the rules of the ole "Democracy Game" Have changes mates ! ...

May we hope that the American People will never repeat this very same rot within their own beloved homeland ... although remember it has now been officially sanctrioned by ole you know who in the ole "Yankee WH" !

In the days to come we may well observe a horrendous "Domino Effect" regarding other so called "Democratic Nations" around the globe who have been strongly advised that they no longer need rely on the vote of the people to elect and reject their politicians !

Such insanity as this should in no wise had ever been proclaimed to the world by Mr. HO and Crew ! In the final analysis it just might be our undoing without the other so called situations which could possibly cause this nations collapse !

Yeah .. I mean if one day you just don't like the looks of your duly elected, by the people Democratic Society Leader in Office any more, simply send him on his way ... who cares about the "VOTE" anywho !

Indeed ... "Off Ones Onion" are very mild words to use in description of the mugs in the WH who came up with this absolute madness !

Hopefull the American Patriotic Citizens of this blessed land will most resolutely vote the current inept "Career WH Politicians" out of office for the long term in 2012 !... That is at least while the vote is still on the books in our so called American Democracy !

Cheerio Mates / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Is that really you? What a hoot! I didn't know you could write limey! mac

Old 02-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Default Attention : Much Wisdom Below ! Please Read ! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Absolutley not,
But we as a nation aren't as good off as we were 20, 30, even 40 years ago. Corporate America and our current round of politicians don't care about the citizenry of the country they only care about profits and making more money. Both political parties are guilty for the one world economy, free trade (that costs the middle class) and reckless spending of the taxpayers doller. Over 100 years ago elderly were taken care of by thier children, and we are well on our way back to those times. Corporate America no longer offers pensions to thier employees, you might get a 401k that the company matches 2%. Meanwhile corporate profits are through the roof. Or they move jobs overseas, good for others bad for American Middle Class
Cali BassMan !!! ... Excellent Post !

You mate ... have absolutely hit the "Nail On The Head" with your most wise post ! ... Jolly Good Show !

Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Another "Limey Greaser" in the works !!! ARRRRRGH !

Quote:

Is that really you? What a hoot! I didn't know you could write limey! mac
Mac_Muz !!! ...

It's me bloody muppet relatives from the Isles whats driven me daft with their Limey cakeholes! ... What ?

These plonkers are turning me into a blooming Limey toerag mate !

Ta / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
jmellc, Used to be i would give the shirt off my back to help others, still do if they take it right and also pitch in. Other wise I try once and quit.

I will work for free for the right people in the right places too, if they need it bad and can't pay a thin dime even.

Even in shtf i will offer feeding anyone once, but probably not twice. For twice labor in trade will have to happen, after all I labored to grow foods in excess of my needs. Eat N' Skeet policy works for me once....

It was a couple bus loads of folks I saw, maybe a few more busses than a couple I was busy nailing down shingles on a roof, so at a distance and I was happy to have the work.

I was there because i took up a old dream and rode a motorcyle from NH to Cal, Cal to Fla, and I was on my way to Fla. From Fla I turned back to Arkansas and went right into Oklahoma.

I was west bound in SD during the Katrina storm, but was in that storm area in LA by the 2nd week of Oct east bound. I was simply passing thru. That kind of a dream is a little more work than it might appear. It can be work to ride that kinda miles seeing the USA as best you can.

I could have crossed the USA 3 times one way just getting to cal, and again twice more getting to Fla. I am a kinda fool see?

Riding gets you right out there, all out doors in all kinds of weather, and you meet people that you would never meet driving a private car.

Anyone who asked me why, I told I want to see the USA before it's gone.

In some ways a lot of the USA is gone. i didn't get stopped once on that ride but I get stopped 3 times in my own state after i got back.

The first stop was for a registered but un-inspected motor vehical my car. We get 10 days for a sticker in that type situation and I have 9.5 days left.

The state police officer asked why my sticker was out of date and why the regi was brand new that day. I told him about the ride, and for that I got a 45 long lecture about no one has the ability to ride that long and far. I told the cop that this was news to me, and someone should have told me 10 months before when I left.

The next stop was for driving 30 minutes after sun set with just my parking lamps on. I was under a street light at a little store my wife bought water and tea in, and I failed to notice my head lights were off under a street light. I drove about 7 mph for 50 feet before I got bagged.

The last stop was in my 3/4 ton van, for a look see around as NH cops just hate vans. Cop saw tools nuthin but tools. It's what i do.......
Strange, I've always heard about NH as a liberty loving state, by & large, but I've heard similar things lately about cops there harassing citizens over trivial issues. Do they get bored with the low crime rate & need something to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness