Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,009 times

Advertisements

I'd say somewhere in Southern Utah. Anywhere really that the Indians thrived. I think where they went, there were options for self survival. There's also a lot of places that are easily defensible, with water and grow-able land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM

212 posts, read 320,389 times
u can HAVE any place that gets really cold and stays that way, if shtf. you have no IDEA how horrible that will be, when smoke signals call in killers, when ice and snow = starvation, falling thru, slip injury, no med care, when "sign" left by wood cutting or noise of chain saw or axe calls in killers. When the short growing season, water frozen over (ie, no fishing worth doing) have to melt ice for water, when there's no moth balls or plastic bags to protect winter clothing during the summer, pita afte pain in the butt, put up with all that, for no reason at all? not me, dude. I'll take SW Oregon.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
u can HAVE any place that gets really cold and stays that way,
And stays that way?

Antarctica maybe?

Quote:
... if shtf. you have no IDEA how horrible that will be, when smoke signals call in killers, when ice and snow = starvation, falling thru, slip injury, no med care, when "sign" left by wood cutting or noise of chain saw or axe calls in killers. When the short growing season, water frozen over (ie, no fishing worth doing) have to melt ice for water, when there's no moth balls or plastic bags to protect winter clothing during the summer, pita afte pain in the butt, put up with all that, for no reason at all? not me, dude. I'll take SW Oregon.
No idea why smoke should call to killers.

Ice /snow does not equal starvation, lack of food makes starvation. It happens the same everywhere.

The best fishing is ice-fishing.

Not sure what you want to 'protect' winter clothing from?

You are going to great lengths to make-up a fantasy.

Very few people live up in the arctic tundra. Those who do, stay there as they appear to like it there.

I have been to SW Oregon, no thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
And stays that way?

Antarctica maybe?

No idea why smoke should call to killers.

Ice /snow does not equal starvation, lack of food makes starvation. It happens the same everywhere.

The best fishing is ice-fishing.

Not sure what you want to 'protect' winter clothing from?

You are going to great lengths to make-up a fantasy.

Very few people live up in the arctic tundra. Those who do, stay there as they appear to like it there.

I have been to SW Oregon, no thanks
Damn FB beat me to it. Yup up here in AK, we get cold in the Winter and hot in the summer, can swing about 160 degrees from the warmest to the coldest temps across a year. That's +90F to -70F.

I was wondering about the smoke and calling in the killers. Which ones? Which of the 150 people I already know in 32,000 square miles is it going to call into that don't already know where I live, because that's the only killers there are going to be.

The protecting winter clothes too, I've never had any moth problem anywhere I've lived ever. Not sure how people get clothes moths, either I'm doing something right that keeps them at bay without thinking about it, or they're just not a problem.

I agree on the Ice Fishing, great fun.

Yup I think we've got another Avatar of John Melvin Davis.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:
u can HAVE any place that gets really cold and stays that way, if shtf. you have no IDEA how horrible that will be, when smoke signals call in killers, when ice and snow = starvation, falling thru, slip injury, no med care, when "sign" left by wood cutting or noise of chain saw or axe calls in killers. When the short growing season, water frozen over (ie, no fishing worth doing) have to melt ice for water, when there's no moth balls or plastic bags to protect winter clothing during the summer, pita afte pain in the butt, put up with all that, for no reason at all? not me, dude. I'll take SW Oregon.

SW Oregon would be completely overrun by the California outflow.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Yet the peoples of the far north survived for many thousands of years (Greenland, northern Alaska, northern Russia, northern Scandinavia, northern Canada, etc...). Not that it stays below absolute zero () 365 days a year like you're sort of hinting at, but those folks made it work, no? Read up on the Inuit peoples who settled Greenland and northern Canada. Fascinating culture and a testament to our specie's ability to survive harsh climates. If folks can survive Qaanaaq for thousands of years... I suppose you could handle a few days below 50 F per year, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
SW Oregon would be completely overrun by the California outflow.
The "Golden Horde" would quickly do the locust thing in that area before moving on to afflict other areas.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
[quote=SCGranny;22044244]
This piece is on the far edge of a town of 145 people. The first thing I and daughter did was to go sit in the local bar and listen to people talk. They were (and are) for the most part, hardworking, independent, mind-yer-own-biznez people. If you are doing something on your property they don't understand/have never seen, they'll ask what and why - but it has nothing to do with stopping you, just people trying to understand how you fit in. We get kidded (a LOT) about our mini-cows and mini-horse, about the greenhouse, about DH and my lifestyles. But - after 3 years - I feel quite comfortable in saying that we 'fit in'. They know that we carry (when our neighbors or we make the trek to Cabela's, we buy ammo for each other!), they know we are not wastrels or goof-offs. They know we will help without being asked, just as they do. They know we will share knowledge and ability - just as they do. We have developed quite a comfortable niche, where barter and co-operativeness are a way of life.

quote]

It sounds very good. But, doesnt Nebraska get very cold and it lasts 6 months or so? It all appears wonderful except for that. Although, i have heard of some areas in the northern states that similar to "banana belts" and are considerably warmer. I wish i could find that link.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
... It sounds very good. But, doesnt Nebraska get very cold and it lasts 6 months or so? It all appears wonderful except for that. Although, i have heard of some areas in the northern states that similar to "banana belts" and are considerably warmer. I wish i could find that link.
To find a location where winter lasts 6 months, I think you would well up into the Arctic Circle.

Parts of Alaska, but nowhere in the lower states.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
The "Golden Horde" would quickly do the locust thing in that area before moving on to afflict other areas.[/quote]

I am not sure they would be able to make it that far North. They would have to go into the mountains and thru the snow and cold of Mount Shasta in the winter. In the summer, they would need quite a bit of gasoline. I don't think the hordes will make it much beyond a 100 miles outside of the urban areas before they come to a halt for lack of food and infighting. Maybe a few scragglers will make it that far but they will be very weak.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
I thought this article might contribute to the dialog.

Best places to live off the grid - MSN Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness