Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Wow, must be really hard to get by in your area.

Around here roads get plowed. Many homes have either their own plow-truck or a tractor, and they help neighbors.

Deep snow an issue? snow shoes work great!

Wool clothing and well-insulated homes make living in this area, pretty nice

You take care, now.
I'm talking about in the collapse scenario. In the case of no collapse everything is just fine. A different set of rules could apply in the event of a collapse I have zero plans of running around melting water from snow, and heating my house with firewood as I would much rather spend my time at coffee shops, salons, etc,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm talking about in the collapse scenario. In the case of no collapse everything is just fine. A different set of rules could apply in the event of a collapse I have zero plans of running around melting water from snow, and heating my house with firewood as I would much rather spend my time at coffee shops, salons, etc,.
Well if there's a "collapse" you can use the time you don't spend at coffee shops, and salons to gather firewood and melt snow. Or is your expectation that coffee shops and salons won't be affected? Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Well it's a fact that IF there is shtf you won't be going out for fancy coffee, since those people won't have any either.

It's another fact that IF shtf, and you have exactly 0 skills, you have almost the same chance to get by, or 100% chance to be dead in a very short time.

On water: Where you are you will want river water, brook water really, probably filtered by moss. Snow melt is ok too. Melting snow is not good since you have better.

Snow hasn't got all that much water.

Go test it. Go fill a 4 qt pot and see what you get.

No matter how cold it gets in NH there is water not frozen. Even on the Presidentials there is springs, and on maps. If people do the right things these springs run all year long. If people screw up the spring freezes.

And then the right kind of water bottle make are make iot or break it deal cutters.

Last week i saw guys in EMS buying stuff, but I could not figure out for where to.

One guy bought a water bottle the right kind and the rest of 12 guys also bought water bottles all the wrong kind if they are having some over night outting for around here.

For around here right now you want a wide mouth Nalgene bottle with a retained cap. The first thing to know is you can hold the cap and dip the bottle which holds 32 ounces.

This means no wet mittens. Next if the bottle does turn to slush you can dump it out, where you can't with a small mouth bottle, which just becomes a rock.

If the nalgene bottle is left to become a rock atleast it can sit in a pan of boiling water and come ice free sooner than any other kind of water bottle.

One guy bought a metal small mouth water bottle and if that freezes in his pack he's meat, since it will wet everything he has.

Probably more people have died in NH mountains than any other mt's in the world except for Everest where most people have no bee's wax in the first place.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well if there's a "collapse" you can use the time you don't spend at coffee shops, and salons to gather firewood and melt snow. Or is your expectation that coffee shops and salons won't be affected? Inquiring minds want to know...
Clearly I expect those things would be affected as well as snow removal etc. so my point is if you are looking for an ideal BOL I would not choose a cold location. That is my point. I know that some people can live in a tent, but, I was commenting on best BOL not worst BOL. I believe if there was ever a collapse that things would change greatly for all of us.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
The farther south you get the more humid it gets, the more creepy crawlers there are.

IMO Tn and Ky are humid and oppressive to the point I can't bear summer there, and be outside.

For me the cold isn't a problem where I can do something about it. The heat makes it much harder, but that's just me.

IF shtf happens I'll have my coffee. It grows on trees in NH all over the place, but it doesn't look like coffee. The wild foods here in NH are pretty decent over all, for those who learn about them.

For those who won't, well then thar's nuthin here for you. There won't be time to learn any of it when you need it right now. That how it is.

A fool can pack 200 pounds of books, but that will just ruin the books.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Clearly I expect those things would be affected as well as snow removal etc. so my point is if you are looking for an ideal BOL I would not choose a cold location. That is my point. I know that some people can live in a tent, but, I was commenting on best BOL not worst BOL. I believe if there was ever a collapse that things would change greatly for all of us.
You did say "I have zero plans of running around melting water from snow", it's not unreasonable given that statement you meant at any time (zero plans), not just currently.

We agree that AK is not necessarily the best BOL. Which is something I've said since the beginning. It has many advantages however for those who do not have the time or ability to learn some survival skills it's certainly not the best.

If you have plans to move to a warmer location then as I mentioned in my first post, it's better to move as soon as possible rather than presume you can "bug out there" if something nasty happens.

HTH

Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
Default Aquifer land rights = they own your water

For people in Texas who think the Ogallala Aquifer is keeping you safe, read about what T. Boone Pickens is doing. Water is the next oil.
best,
toodie

T. Boone Pickens Invests in Water - Should You? - Seeking Alpha
Pickens wants to take the water from the Ogallala Aquifer and pump about 200,000 acre feet of groundwater annually to El Paso, Lubbock, San Antonio, or Dallas-Fort Worth - for a price, of course.
This price would depend on how far the water needs to go. El Paso would pay around $1,400 per acre foot, while Dallas would pay $800 and San Antonio more than $1,000.

Beyond Wind Plan, Pickens Eyes Pipelines in Drought-Ridden U.S. - Popular Mechanics
Pickens is in the planning stages of a $1.5 billion initiative to pump billions of gallons of water from an ancient aquifer beneath the Texas Panhandle and build pipelines to ship them to thirsty cities such as Dallas. So far, no city has taken up his water company, Mesa Water, on the offer. But company officials and experts agree that a continuation of the drought impacting large portions of the United States could turn Pickens into something of a water baron.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
I really think picking a place that is very cold is a poor idea. You need to spend so much time just keeping warm and surviving and even though you may have water it is frozen. It just doesn't make sense to me.
If you have a superinsulated shelter, it is more bearable.
See: Saskatchewan Conservation house.

Also: Thermasave
{Check out some of the stories of Alaskan homes built with his SIP panels}

Without Air Conditioning, hot / humid climates are hard to bear. The migration to the Sunbelt wouldn't have happened without A/C.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Yup, R40 in the walls, and R60+ in the floors and ceilings
Insulated shutters for windows, too?
Or multipane glazing only?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The farther south you get the more humid it gets, the more creepy crawlers there are.

IMO Tn and Ky are humid and oppressive to the point I can't bear summer there, and be outside.
From PA to GA, it was a shock. But I acclimated - to a point. Learned why folks move and talk slower - cuts down on heat generated.

While visiting New Orleans in May, a midday stroll was like swimming upright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness