Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 09:28 PM

245 posts, read 304,191 times

Advertisements

I propose not being anyplace where you need to burn wood to stay warm. I propose being underground during daylight. I propose using a dakota pit if you have to cook food, boil water for purification, etc. It's not going to be 1 indian per square mile, with nothing but a bow that he's got no accuracy with. if shtf, there's going to be millions with long range, repeating rifles. and many of them will be scoped, too. They will spot wood smoke from miles away and come looking for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 PM

245 posts, read 304,191 times
yeah, and it's something totally different, being in cold weather when you don't dare use a chainsaw, or send up smoke signals, or fire unsuppressed shots, or leave tracks in the snow, or make noise chopping, cause of hostilities.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
and just how does this wood stove not sent up smoke signals to your enemies, hmm? Don't kid yourself, if it's shtf, the woods will be full of people perfectly willing and able to kill you for your stuff.
Maybe the trick is not to have enemies.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
yeah, and it's something totally different, being in cold weather when you don't dare use a chainsaw, or send up smoke signals, or fire unsuppressed shots, or leave tracks in the snow, or make noise chopping, cause of hostilities.

man, I am glad you are not a member anymore, as you come up with the craziest ideas sometimes. to me you sound like a fedgov agent or gunkid, and in either case, you would be wrong.

it just goes to show how little you really know about surviving.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,271,755 times
When I get ready to move to an end-of-life home, I plan on listing all the places people say would be good bugout locations, and put them on my 'do not consider' list.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
I don't agree with your pick of best places. Alaska would be the last place I would want to be, because of the cold and the short growing season. What do you think is going to happen to the food supply? You will either have to grow your own, or starve. If you were in Alaska you would have to live like an Eskimo and live of of sea foods, whales, etc. If you lived in heavily populated areas I would think people would be fighting with each other for food, remember, someone is going to have to grow the food supply the grocery stores will be closed. I think the best location would be in states with a fair amount of rain fall and warm summers, which would mean a longer growing season. If you were in an area with less population you would have fewer people to worry about trying to take your property and supplies. We don't know what plans the government has for use either if there is a collapse. I do know they have converted many unused military bases for FEMA's use. Most of what will happen I think is all already planned by our government, I think we will be in for some surprises that won't be too pleasant. The first step will be to disarm us, after that, not telling what will happen.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We moved to SW Florida. Real long growing time, no hard freezes, close to water for fishing, close to game for hunting, very shallow water table (20' wells). And my next door neighbor literally grew up wrassling gators.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 PM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
Get out of citys. I call them the new killing fields. The place not to be during a SHTF situation.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,000 times
These are all very good posts and interesting thoughts. One thought I have had that I have really seen mentioned is in regards to the serious preppers. I worry about the preppers who have spent money and time getting their BOL ready for the breakdown. I am a firm believer in being prepared to get the hell out of dodge when the SHTF. I believe the people who can dodge the first punch stand the best chance of winning/evading the fight. BE READY TO MOVE AND FAST! Don't stay in your bunker if you can get out of the way, no matter how much time and money you spent on it. Nothing is impenetrable to desperate mob forever.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger007 View Post
... I am a firm believer in being prepared to get the hell out of dodge when the SHTF. I believe the people who can dodge the first punch stand the best chance of winning/evading the fight. BE READY TO MOVE AND FAST! Don't stay in your bunker if you can get out of the way, no matter how much time and money you spent on it. Nothing is impenetrable to desperate mob forever.
That makes more sense for urban people.

On the other hand, if your hundreds of miles from any real city, producing your own food, and living in a community where homes are over a mile apart, you might look at it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness