Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Nighteyes the scope is a Simmons Atec with a red glowing cross hairs when they are turned on. This is on the Interarms .308, because that rifle has no iron sights at all. With out a scope that gun is only good for a paddle or a club.

I can't see 400 yards, unless I leave the state LOL. or I pull an Obama and look up geeeze..

My son has a few .233 pea shooters, I find them loud, and that they send hot brass to my belt line, shootin the damned things lefty... I like hot stuff in my pants, but that don't count any brass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Not thining carrying. More for the out back trips in the wilderness. Should we decide to spend the summer in the Bitterroot Mnts or the winter in the wilds of Oklahoma just to have available. For what it is worth, I carry a simple .25 Baretta--it has been enough so far.
If this firearm is not for conceal carry or open carry daily and for wilderness outings, as you say, then I would say choose the caliber and style which both you and your wife can shoot the most consistently effective. The question needs to be posed: are you wanting to protect yourselves from 2-legged predators or 4 legged predators?

What one needs outback where there are aggressive bears and mountain lions differs from what one needs where there are rattlesnakes; unless, your choice is a shotgun and varying between buck & slug.

For your wife, the "just let her keep the .357" is typical male machisimo, IMO. Your wife needs to find out what firearm and caliber she handles best. Perhaps you may be willing to encourage her to attend at least one NRA "Women on Target" instructional shooting clinic so she can make better informed choices and not just dependent upon your opinion?

Link to NRA Women on Target instructional shoots in North Carolina:
Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-10-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nighteyes the scope is a Simmons Atec with a red glowing cross hairs when they are turned on. This is on the Interarms .308, because that rifle has no iron sights at all. With out a scope that gun is only good for a paddle or a club.

I can't see 400 yards, unless I leave the state LOL. or I pull an Obama and look up geeeze..

My son has a few .233 pea shooters, I find them loud, and that they send hot brass to my belt line, shootin the damned things lefty... I like hot stuff in my pants, but that don't count any brass.
Button your shirt and wear a 'kerchief around your neck (or untuck the shirt from your pants) and you won't be doing the hot brass dance.
-been there, done that and have the scars to prove it.

.223's are only loud if you are not wearing hearing protection.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Shirts are costly and skin heals MO Gal LOL .233's are loud with ear plugs in and ear muffs on over them.. Maybe it's a Bushy thing, I don't know, but that's the only brand i got to try.

I don't want one of those rifles anyway. I am not into plastics on guns much. As you know i am old and stubborn and still like real blued steel and walnut wood. Even my pre Bible Ruger 10-22 is real walnut and better bluing than what they make today.

Then brown steel has a big place in my guns, but they aer all rock locks except the Brown bess which I keep bright. No finish at all just bright silver color steel as it is....

I don't know what I am whining about really since I can't hear well anyway. To much impact tools working on cars and machines. I use brail on my wife for it.. Don't tell her brail is for the blind, she don't know, and I have been at convincin' her of this for a good number of years

None of my AK clone dump hot brass in my pants and they run a lot quieter. IMO AK's clone are a great gun for women since th shoulder stocks are so short. In part because they were designed to be a tankers gun so small counted. In part because the warriors that tend to use AK's are smaller than most American males, and in part because AK get used in some very cold places and a heavy coat takes up space.

Of the 3 I own one has been assumed to be my wife's. That was the first one I bought and when she tried it iut, she gave me the 'LOOK'. I know what the 'LOOK' means reaaly well and it means expensive as I have to get another gun. She is all righty, I shoot long guns lefty no matter what kind of gun it is. I shoot hand guns righty, but my master eye is left.

I do shoot all guns with both eyes open, but it is a matter of feel... I can switch too, as that is a part of the Buck Skinning Games.

If you have never gone to a Buck Skinner shoot you should make a point to go sometime. Woods Walks and Senaca Runs are a lot of fun. The Senca Run is more a work out than a Woods Walk. In a Senaca Run some things are nearly impossible to do.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If this firearm is not for conceal carry or open carry daily and for wilderness outings, as you say, then I would say choose the caliber and style which both you and your wife can shoot the most consistently effective. The question needs to be posed: are you wanting to protect yourselves from 2-legged predators or 4 legged predators?

What one needs outback where there are aggressive bears and mountain lions differs from what one needs where there are rattlesnakes; unless, your choice is a shotgun and varying between buck & slug.

For your wife, the "just let her keep the .357" is typical male machisimo, IMO. Your wife needs to find out what firearm and caliber she handles best. Perhaps you may be willing to encourage her to attend at least one NRA "Women on Target" instructional shooting clinic so she can make better informed choices and not just dependent upon your opinion?

Link to NRA Women on Target instructional shoots in North Carolina:
Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

She is really wanting a Sig 9 mm. That is what got me to seriously think about a handgun / rifle match. I would prefer she gravitate towards the S & W 9mm or even the .40? She likes the .380 but it's difficult to hit an upright target at more than 20 yards where you wanted. I carry the .25, but I am mostly in town or a city and don't really see a need to carry a cannon here in NC...
As for what the protection is for, it would be more for the ornary two-legged varmits and the rifle for all other varieties / hunting.

And I want to say thanks to everyone for their coments and insights!!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM

zthatz, I like her choice better than that .25 of yours. Any chance you got a similar size .22 pea shooter?

If so put several phone books in a box and pop them with the .25 and the .22LR rounds and tell me wich one you like best after that.

I lost track, which .25 is this anyway. Beretta I hope, probably that is the best of the best for .25's.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
zthatz, I like her choice better than that .25 of yours. Any chance you got a similar size .22 pea shooter?

If so put several phone books in a box and pop them with the .25 and the .22LR rounds and tell me wich one you like best after that.

I lost track, which .25 is this anyway. Beretta I hope, probably that is the best of the best for .25's.
Had a .22 revolver but let it go to my brother to pop rats in the barn. It is the Beretta flip barrel. It has done well for me, considering all has done so far is show it's face once or twice and potential trouble walks the other way.

On the road I do carry the .357 as it does make a much bigger impression than the pea-shooter. So it looks like I may jusr be picking up a .40--maybe a Beretta...??

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Here is my thinking. An automatic obviously has larger capacity. BUT with a revolver (.357) I can also have a rifle that shoots the same caliber and carry ONE type ammunition. NOt to mention the ability to use .38s in the .357.

Is this logical or is an automatic make more sense?
There is nothing wrong with your logic, tho I carry an automatic.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
She is really wanting a Sig 9 mm.
I have an older P226, and really like it. If she has small hands the grip may be too large, but its smaller than the grip on the Beretta 92s. Of course, Sig makes other 9mm pistols.

I notice that I've forgotten to mention my incredibly consistent Ruger 22/45, and my "guilty-pleasure" handgun -- a .380 Astra A60. For those who don't know it, it's like a much-improved PPK with a double-stack magazine. If I ever need a hideout gun, it will be the A60.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Here is my thinking. An automatic obviously has larger capacity. BUT with a revolver (.357) I can also have a rifle that shoots the same caliber and carry ONE type ammunition. NOt to mention the ability to use .38s in the .357.

Is this logical or is an automatic make more sense?
There are rifles that shoot .45 auto, .40 and 9mm too, or pistols that shoot just about any rifle round you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness