U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
 
19,127 posts, read 11,621,261 times
Reputation: 7123

Advertisements

E Rider, I agree that Chris doesn't fabricate disasters and collapse, but that he see's these events either taking place, ie: Haiti, NZ, Japan, other events all in close order, the weak dollar, which I can't see how it can be called weak anymore, when 1 troy ounce of silver cost 36 so called dollars.

I am old enough to remember real silver dollars in common circulation.

Now if you divide 1 by 36, you get the value of a dollar right? That seems to be $0.027, and if anyone thinks i am going to be upset about a dollars value being 2.7 cents they have another thing coming. I ain't got the time to worry about that.

It is common knowledge that the EURO and Yen are taking over the USD. The USD is no longer the world trade device, and more than likely over the next several decade will be phased out of existance completely for some other form of exhange.

That brings up another idea, that is pretty scarey to some people and i just happen to be one of those people. The vera chip just might be the next form of exhange, and I for one will not be party to it .....EVER. It might be that with out it embedded in your body, you may not legally buy or sell, just like with out so called dollars you can't legally buy, and maybe sell.

All I can say on that is I will refuse to have any Govt partical of anything embedded in my body, now and forever, and anyone trying is bound to suffer great harm for just trying.

The wrong nuke plant in the wrong place could spell disaster. Man is just full of money grabbing schemes for power, power, and greed. That's 2 powers...

It makes me wonder why man hasn't tapped into volcanoes to run power plants. Probably can't find anyone foolish enough except for in Ice Land to work in one, but these nuke plants don't appear to be so well thought out as Govt's say.

Then we have this little problem called Red Commie China, who are very busy being the worlds largest ever factory pounding out tons of junk and crap with no other meaning that to gain profit for greed, and at the same times are running the show just like it was the begining of the Industrial Revolution, as if 'we' don't already know what happens when you work that way.

In 40 maybe 50 years do you suppose the Chinese will discover the polution they caused has a ill effect on their lands, waters, and airs?

Oh WOW that will be the big discoverey of the 21st century right? I can recall the logging/ pulp rivers in New England in the 50's running a very nice shade of bright orange.... The air stinking of brimstone and sulfer. Ok well not brimstone really but sulfer really!!!!!!

The smell of money stinks like rotten eggs that exactly what it smells like.

The WORLD is paying a prive for the escaped mercury the USA and the Brits made, along with a little help from everyone else, and now China is beating those percents as if it never happened.

The Earth can absorb so much, but man can't. For the love of money man is doing the fastest thing he can do to exterminate man kind..... I love it.

We may as well go right back to sweetening wine with lead, using mercury, lead and other heavy metals as make up, like white lead oxide for hair powder, and smear mercury all over out flesh to get the nice pink glow. As it is woman today still use products that include lots and lots of real nasty chemicals in the alure of so called fashion. One of my favorites is acetone, in fingernail polish and in finger nail polish remover.

There is no safe contact on flesh, or to breath of that stuff, but everyday females slather that on their bodies with out a hint of the danger.

The lists of what might happen is endless. The way man-kinds luck runs isn't.

Sooner or later that straw that breaks the camels back is bound to occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: central Indiana
214 posts, read 277,527 times
Reputation: 147
Was someone here asking about the location of nuclear plants? NRC: Map of Power Reactor Sites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
9,326 posts, read 7,287,642 times
Reputation: 16508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No I have not. I've never claimed that anything is going to collapse. I certainly have my guesses, but that is not the same as a claim. There is a big difference between saying, "I think there is a good chance of a severe drought or earthquake in my area during my lifetime," and "The Francophone part of Canada will invade New England tomorrow at oh-eight-hundred-hours EDT." See the difference there? The first is an educated guess based on the geology and climate of my area, the second is a baseless claim or prediction. I'm not in the business of making such claims, be they Black Swan Events or not. I look at my subjective list of possibilities and probabilities for my area and act accordingly, covering as many viable possibilities as I can with the resources that I have at my disposal. And yes, that would include civil unrest and the occasional collapse of a society/empire. I don't rule it out because it has happened over and over through all of history. BUT (and this is a big "but"), I don't claim it IS going to happen during my time and in my place on this planet. I don't know one way or the other. But isn't that the whole idea of preparation? Preparing in generality for the unknown? It doesn't do me much good if I prepare only for a sustained drought and it rains every day for ten years and floods me out. It might be better if my preparation is geared toward both events, don't you think?

What I HAVE CLAIMED is that we do not know what will or will not happen in the future, whether it be a natural disaster, civil unrest, or whatever. It happens all the time all around the world. What I have claimed is that we, here in our little detached Utopia, are not immune to any of them (including economic/civil calamity). What I have claimed is that nearly everyone I know has a very bad case of Normalcy Bias. I don't see that as any sort of straw man or alfalfa man or spelt man... or any kind of man at all on my part.

In my view, food is food. Water is water. A shelter is a shelter. And the need for them isn't going to change whether nature knocks us down or our comrades do. Or a pack of angry rabbits attacks us. It doesn't matter; a basic level of preparedness covers many bases. So there is no straw man here. Although there is nothing that will prepare us for every possibility, basic preparedness is basic preparedness. You can either do it, or scoff at it. My comment was directed at those folks who insist that nothing bad can ever happen to them or this nation (and there are many, many out there), so they incessantly come to forums like this and troll. Flat out denial of any future besides a yellow brick road strewn with rose petals. What do you call that? Is that some sort of "strawman argument" as well? Perhaps a "barley man"? Let's call it a "Normalcy Man" argument. How many Normalcy Men have you seen gracing this forum? Ironically, a forum that is diametrically opposed to their viewpoint--do you hang around people with whom you have nothing in common?
In one important sense I can see we were talking past each other. You made a generalized comment about certain visitors to this forum with which I took exception, but I was not talking about the stance which you personally have taken on these matters; rather, I was also talking in a generalized sense. Unlike you, I have not noticed the "folks who insist that nothing bad can ever happen to them or this nation".

As for the trolls, we have them to a greater or lesser extent in most forums, and they are an unfortunate fact of life since this is a public forum. People who disagree with the stated premise of a forum and who expound on that disagreement are not necessarily trolls - it depends on the degree of rationality, courtesy, factuality, and openness which they exhibit.

I think we can agree on one thing: anyone who denies the reality of the danger and potential harm from natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes is an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
6,716 posts, read 5,661,317 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
In one important sense I can see we were talking past each other. You made a generalized comment about certain visitors to this forum with which I took exception, but I was not talking about the stance which you personally have taken on these matters; rather, I was also talking in a generalized sense. Unlike you, I have not noticed the "folks who insist that nothing bad can ever happen to them or this nation".

As for the trolls, we have them to a greater or lesser extent in most forums, and they are an unfortunate fact of life since this is a public forum. People who disagree with the stated premise of a forum and who expound on that disagreement are not necessarily trolls - it depends on the degree of rationality, courtesy, factuality, and openness which they exhibit.

I think we can agree on one thing: anyone who denies the reality of the danger and potential harm from natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes is an idiot.
I do believe we can come together on that one, especially in light of the ongoing situation in Japan. Hopefully it will prompt some "what ifs" stateside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
8,039 posts, read 4,390,580 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I do believe we can come together on that one, especially in light of the ongoing situation in Japan. Hopefully it will prompt some "what ifs" stateside.
Based on post-Katrina reconstruction, it would appear that the building industry is not entertaining "what if" scenarios to build better / wiser.
Especially when it comes to wood frame construction in a termite war zone...!
I recall a 60 minutes episode bemoaning that 85% (or more) of the Gulf coast homes were damaged by termite infestations and would require replacement.
We will never know how much that contributed to the destruction of the homes by Katrina or the aftermath to the storm - but it hasn't changed the inertia of the building industry to remedy the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
75,324 posts, read 36,472,776 times
Reputation: 18325
In light of what is going on in Japan and the Pacific Rim activity, I highly suggest you have postassium iodide pills/liquid handy...just in case.

I read when Three Mile Island occurred the government scrambled to get KI pills (237K) because they didn't have any in stock. They were 6 days late from when they were needed ...thankfully they were not needed.

Many online stores are already either out of stock/backordered. Still available at The Vitamin Shoppe though either direct or through Amazon.

KI Potassium Iodide News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
9,326 posts, read 7,287,642 times
Reputation: 16508
Default Nuclear meltdown and the Japanese earthquake/tsunami

One fact that I think will tend to get lost in the understandable comments about how grim things are is that it was not the earthquake per se but rather the tsunami it caused which resulted in nuclear cores overheating. All those Japanese cooling systems had back-up generators, which were to take over when the power was cut by the earthquake. But the tsunami swamped those generators. My source on that is the Los Angeles Times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,271 posts, read 1,471,073 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
One fact that I think will tend to get lost in the understandable comments about how grim things are is that it was not the earthquake per se but rather the tsunami it caused which resulted in nuclear cores overheating. All those Japanese cooling systems had back-up generators, which were to take over when the power was cut by the earthquake. But the tsunami swamped those generators. My source on that is the Los Angeles Times.
Well, in fact there were the diesel generators, and battery backups to run the pumps for 8 hours entirely without power, of course all of the cores are currently sub-critical anyway, since the control rods were fully inserted into the core when the quake hit (or shortly after), the issues we're seeing are caused by decay from the reactor. Which is why the plants needed the diesel backups in the first place, if the plant was operating then the pumps would be powered by the pile, and not the backup systems.

Which of course begs the question, is the protocol to scram shutdown a reactor automatically because of a quake a good protocol? Had the Fukushima Dai-Ichi reactors not been automatically scrammed none of this would have happened. So it may be considered to not even be the tsunami that caused this.

However, it does seem a little remiss to think that a nuclear power plant on the ocean in a known earthquake zone would not be subject to a tsunami subsequent to a major quake, and they obviously knew that there would be a scram shutdown in the event of a quake. There are many ways to prevent a diesel engine being swamped, I'm sure that some of these were implemented, however it's clear that whatever mitigation they made for this was inadequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 10,679,034 times
Reputation: 5789
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Must you believe everything you see on CNN? There are a LOT of folks in Hawaii who are ready for hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunami, barge strikes, etc. It doesn't take that many people to make a "long line" at any one gas station or store. News crews always try to make almost anything "news", IMHO.
WELL SAID!

Easy to condem when sitting within 100 miles of 50 dozen supermarkets, big box stores, farms and shopping centers... They wouldn;t survive a second when out 2,500 miles from anywhere.

Heck I remember when the pictures you see after a run on supplies from a distaster was typical looking for saturday evening at many markets. Hawaii doen;t have 1,000,000 rolls of toilet paper sitting at warehouse 10 miles away, your lucky there is 1,000 extra rolls on any island.

Folks, on Hawaii if I run out of toilet paper, the neighbors will lend me some of theirs. If they need gas for a generator, I would siphon some from mine. If I need food, the island people will provide. Its not like on the mainland where its every man for himself.

The pictures of empty shelfs is the way many markets look on any typical day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
 
Location: FROM Dixie, but IN SoCal
3,214 posts, read 2,499,898 times
Reputation: 3208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Assuming that my apartment would still be standing (big assumption, I know!), I'd rather stockpile enough supplies to last a while and just stay put. When I say "a while", I mean longer than two or three weeks. After seeing what happened with Hurricane Katrina, I have zero faith that the federal government will be charging to my rescue.
Yup, I agree completely. If you can remain largely "invisible" to the general public for a few weeks, things will have almost certainly stabilized. A key lesson I have learned, and one that can easily apply to many situations, is NEVER do things at the same time others are doing them. A hurricane plan I once prepared for a 178-bed rehab facility on the Gulf Coast received national recognition, a good part of which was due to its central theme: "Always do things at least one step AHEAD of everyone else."

I have used this both in disaster preparedness and - believe it or not - taking my family to theme parks like Disneyland/Disney World and Universal Studios. In the theme park scenarios, one should always strive to eat while others are riding, and ride while others are eating. It generally works, but isn't absolutely foolproof. ( But then, what is? )

Besides, based both on my readings, and my personal experiences as a responder, NEVER allow yourself to become a "refugee" or "evacuee" (or whatever the term-of-the-moment might be)!

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-14-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top