U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM

28,906 posts, read 44,189,739 times

Advertisements

If that happened, I would turn off the newscast, drive to the Gulf coast, 200 miles from my house, get my family on our sailboat, and head south until I hit one of the Dutch West Indies. It would be about a three day reach to Mexico and, depending on winds, another two weeks to Aruba. Or maybe Panama. That would get me access to the Southern Hemisphere, including Australia and New Zealand.

The social upheaval and chaos in the United States would be unbelievable.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-05-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM

19,122 posts, read 20,807,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If that happened, I would turn off the newscast, drive to the Gulf coast, 200 miles from my house, get my family on our sailboat, and head south until I hit one of the Dutch West Indies. It would be about a three day reach to Mexico and, depending on winds, another two weeks to Aruba. Or maybe Panama. That would get me access to the Southern Hemisphere, including Australia and New Zealand.

The social upheaval and chaos in the United States would be unbelievable.
Nice plan, but what about the following 5 years long winter? Sooner or later that winter will catch up with you.

My plan if I hear of it, is go there get as close as I can and get it over with early. I like winter, but not any winter lasting 5 years.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM

28,906 posts, read 44,189,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nice plan, but what about the following 5 years long winter? Sooner or later that winter will catch up with you.

My plan if I hear of it, is go there get as close as I can and get it over with early. I like winter, but not any winter lasting 5 years.
Well, even if there is a five-year winter, it sure as heck will be easier in the equatorial regions. What's more, I'd imagine that foraging for food would be a heck of a lot easier if I'm not competing with 300 million other people.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM

I agree with that. Once i wanted to live on my own sail boat, but my wife was against the idea. maybe it's time to re-think that idea.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,140,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Once i wanted to live on my own sail boat, but my wife was against the idea. maybe it's time to re-think that idea.
I once began writing a novel with that very premise. Got all tangled up in work, marriage, graduate school, etc, and never got more than a few chapters done.

Actually, based on what I read concerning the nuclear winter phenomenon, you'd probably do fairly well south of the equator. Essentially, the world's atmospheric circulation patterns don't cross over from northern to southern hemispheres. There is some exchange, of course, but not nearly as much as one might think.

-- Nighteyes

Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM

60 posts, read 113,102 times
I've worked at Yellowstone before and plan to go back this summer. They keep such a close eye on the activity, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they thought for two seconds there was the possibility of it about to blow, they would take some kind of action. That place attracts a ton of tourists from all over the world and employs a lot of internationals as well. I don't know a ton about volcanoes, but honestly, I get the feeling with all the studying done there that there's enough of a pattern for the smart people to tell if it's close to blowing its top.

When I go back there this summer to "live, work and play" it will probably be the same as 5 summers ago when I went (Old Faithful going off every 90 minutes, tons of various tourists filing into the giftshop after each eruption, wanting to buy souvenirs, and some scared tourists thinking the Inn is haunted by a bride)

Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,566,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
It seems to me (and maybe it is just my fears making me notice patterns that aren't there) that there have been a lot of big seismic and volcanic events in recent years. This leads me to worrying if the overdue Yellowstone Supervolcano is going to erupt in my lifetime. If so is there any way I could survive this in the US without having spent several hundred thousand to a million plus on a compound to ride out the ash cloud and nuclear winter and take my chances with the stereotypical roving bands of post-apocalyptic neo-savages and biker gangs. Or is my best bet if I want to stay in the US to hitch a ride on the first flight to southern Europe when the eruption starts?
That seems to be a problem with many in a specific forum.

Why are people so afraid to die? Do you really want to live in a post-apocalyptic world, whether this scenario, or the countless others people on this board worry about? Why?

I have no fears. If it is my time to die, then I die. If I survive, then I will thrive in a society without rules. I might even be the guy leading the biker gang who will terrorize you in your fantasy scenario.

My advice is to blow all your money trying to prepare for this.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM

9,035 posts, read 13,611,556 times
I think the New Madrid fault line is more pressing and worrisome than Yellowstone. If anyone thinks I am "fear mongering" just search on line " Navy Maps Earth Changes". It isn't fear mongering when the military has known about it for ages and has been making preparations for ages ie buying millions of dollars worth of freeze dried food; storing massive amounts of fresh water and building fancy underground bunkers in Colorado....using taxpayer dollar s of course--- without telling taxpayers"

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM

12,664 posts, read 8,763,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If anyone thinks I am "fear mongering" just search on line " Navy Maps Earth Changes".
Don't forget to add "hoax" to the search engine. Because there is no evidence that the source of the map IS the U.S. Navy.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
That seems to be a problem with many in a specific forum.

Why are people so afraid to die? Do you really want to live in a post-apocalyptic world, whether this scenario, or the countless others people on this board worry about? Why?

I have no fears. If it is my time to die, then I die. If I survive, then I will thrive in a society without rules. I might even be the guy leading the biker gang who will terrorize you in your fantasy scenario.

My advice is to blow all your money trying to prepare for this.
After me maybe I already rode from NH to Cal and back armed, with not one gun, but 2. Never fired a shot in anger, but I almost did.

The geese on a roof in Jackson Hole were something of a temptation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness