U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 AM

60 posts, read 115,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
That seems to be a problem with many in a specific forum.

Why are people so afraid to die? Do you really want to live in a post-apocalyptic world, whether this scenario, or the countless others people on this board worry about? Why?

I have no fears. If it is my time to die, then I die. If I survive, then I will thrive in a society without rules. I might even be the guy leading the biker gang who will terrorize you in your fantasy scenario.

My advice is to blow all your money trying to prepare for this.
Haha, niiiiice! I want to be in this biker gang!

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. I mean, why are people even bothering to drive cars if they are so afraid of dying at the end of the world? People die unexpectedly in car crashes everyday. Tornadoes and floods happen all the time, people get mugged, raped, and mauled by other humans or sometimes mauled by wild animals. But Yellowstone erupting or other end of the world scenarios seem to be what most people worry more about.

That might be a sign that the end of society as we know it is coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM

10,167 posts, read 9,934,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
That seems to be a problem with many in a specific forum.

Why are people so afraid to die? Do you really want to live in a post-apocalyptic world, whether this scenario, or the countless others people on this board worry about? Why?

I have no fears. If it is my time to die, then I die. If I survive, then I will thrive in a society without rules. I might even be the guy leading the biker gang who will terrorize you in your fantasy scenario.

My advice is to blow all your money trying to prepare for this.

I'm planning on a week long remote desert hike next week. I'm not going to take any water (or anything else) because if it's my time to die, it's my time to die. Sound smart to you? Or does it sound like I might earn a Darwin Award?

The only reason there will be a "society without rules" in a "post-apocalyptic world" is because 99% of the populace is TOO STUPID to prepare to sustain themselves through rough times. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

Despair is most often the offspring of ill-preparedness.

My advice is to blow all your money on bull**** like a new big screen TV, an iphone, a fifty-room home (for two people) and a Lexus. Be a tool.

Last edited by ChrisC; 04-08-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM

3,361 posts, read 4,535,320 times
Crazy idea and maybe OT, but I was always entertained by the idea of one buying up old cargo/tanker ships and converting them into floating crops/grazing space.
With some tugboats, move them out into a sunnier/warmer part of the planet and grow/raise veg crops and livestock where ash clouds and such would be less of an issue.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,186,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
Well, I'm not putting all my off grid money in solar panels. I am thinking about a small greenhouse. Florescent lights can be used for grow lamps when needed.
Do you really expect there will be power for your grow lights

Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 PM

220 posts, read 377,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you really expect there will be power for your grow lights
That's what the wind turbines are for!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,726,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm planning on a week long remote desert hike next week. I'm not going to take any water (or anything else) because if it's my time to die, it's my time to die. Sound smart to you? Or does it sound like I might earn a Darwin Award?

The only reason there will be a "society without rules" in a "post-apocalyptic world" is because 99% of the populace is TOO STUPID to prepare to sustain themselves through rough times. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

Despair is most often the offspring of ill-preparedness.

My advice is to blow all your money on bull**** like a new big screen TV, an iphone, a fifty-room home (for two people) and a Lexus. Be a tool.
Hahahaha, hit a nerve, eh?

Listen. Preparing for natural disasters is good. Worrying about every little nightmare scenario in the world is not.

Some people take it way too far.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,320,175 times
LOL Earth..... cute, really. If you read back you would find I would go to YS in the event to see it, and I am the survivor type, but not for a event like that I ain't. The adventure would be awesum, since I been there before.

I just don't want to live past such an event because it would be more work than I want to mess with.

I suppose if your young, have family, and ect, maybe a boat to get out of here is a good idea, but ya gotta know how to survive on the boat in winter like conditions. That boat needs a away to make fresh water, and the cost of either is out of my leauge.

I am in NH which is far from YS, but that long winter would just have me last about to the end of year 5 and I'ld be some tuckered out. Beside anyone else left would just sit around and whine about it to death.

If YS goes off, life as we know it is gone for a long time.

Most any lesser event I can deal with. I think Congress is stupid, for what they are doing today, but then they have no vested interest, since they still get paid.

I don't care if the economy goes to hell in a handbasket. That to me means nothing, other than some of my family won't get paid. Not a real big deal.

It ain't like money is worth anything as it is.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM

10,474 posts, read 11,584,395 times
Well the good thing about living in Colorado is when the Yellowstone super volcano blows up I can say "oh look at the bright..." before I'm vaporized.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM

3,673 posts, read 5,841,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL Earth..... cute, really. If you read back you would find I would go to YS in the event to see it, and I am the survivor type, but not for a event like that I ain't. The adventure would be awesum, since I been there before.

I just don't want to live past such an event because it would be more work than I want to mess with.

I suppose if your young, have family, and ect, maybe a boat to get out of here is a good idea, but ya gotta know how to survive on the boat in winter like conditions. That boat needs a away to make fresh water, and the cost of either is out of my leauge.

I am in NH which is far from YS, but that long winter would just have me last about to the end of year 5 and I'ld be some tuckered out. Beside anyone else left would just sit around and whine about it to death.

If YS goes off, life as we know it is gone for a long time.

Most any lesser event I can deal with. I think Congress is stupid, for what they are doing today, but then they have no vested interest, since they still get paid.

I don't care if the economy goes to hell in a handbasket. That to me means nothing, other than some of my family won't get paid. Not a real big deal.

It ain't like money is worth anything as it is.
Oh, that would be me, LOL!

"I NEED my internet!"
"Seriously, no air conditioning?"
"I don't care if the generator can only support lights - I need to listen to some Megadeth NOW!"

"We're out of chocolate?! "

Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,320,175 times
I used to sail some, more over I used to be something of a pirate on a few occasions. Once in a kayak at sea, I over took a schooner I knew the owner of, but it wasn't him aboard. There were some wicked attractive chicks, and one guy that looked like my friend.

He was asleep, and I tossed him over board, and cut the kayak loose with no paddle.

I did save the chicks and the cholates of course.

No sence is wastin nuthin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness