U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:37 PM

918 posts, read 1,128,003 times

Advertisements

After reading some of these posts I can fairly well say many of you are goofy.

Points to note:
  1. Meal kits are difficult to move in volumes sufficient enough to feed most families considering fuel would be considerably scarce.
  2. Alaska is not a viable solution considering you have to get there and fair sure Canadian borders will shut down and planes will be grounded due to the abrasive ash getting in jet engines
  3. If you choose to join a band of roving marauders know that Isolationists like me will shoot and never ask what you want.
  4. Logic and reason who indicate trying to create covers for pants and jackets made of Kevlar to reduce potential abrasions on the everyday clothes in case you slip, trip, and fall it will protect your cloths from damage and reduce the permeation of ash into fabric so it lasts loner.
  5. More proper preparedness may consist of dry goods like rice, beans, salt, magnesium fire starters, ammo, gun cleaning supplies, sufficient portable water filtration, several knives and machete's, and a few sharping stones (both wet and dry) and plenty of dust masks (which are of no value when encountering severe gases)
  6. Have a cave set up where it would be difficult for people to find your hide out.
  7. have several dogs (not little yapping things - but serious guard types)
  8. if you chose an option with floating barge type life style make sure you can afford to be prepared BEFORE it happens and not sit there and just day dream of what you could do and have nothing when its time - in other words - Talk is cheap

Most of you are going in a difficult direction
  • You are overlooking portable in case you need to evacuate
  • You aren't preparing your basics - MRE's are great but you need a lot more cash to stock up enough - just store basics Legumes, grains, huge bags of salt, and lots of ammo for a few good weapons.
  • Consider barriers for a cave entry to keep floating ash our of your supplies. Ashes can be like a cement when it gets in stuff.

Let me tell ya $20.00 of rice and $20.00 in beans will last a LOT longer (like a week or more for a group of 5) that $40.00 worth of meals with a long shelf life (if you are lucky a meal or two for a group of 5)

I have seen many meals ready to eat that cost $5.00 each person (group of 5 for one meal = $25.00)

Right after a catastrophe - get out and collect dead deer, rabbits, squirrels, and get them dressed out and in a heavy salt solution to preserve the meat.

Remember the skins are good blankets and covers and bones can be used to make leather awls to puncture skins for stretching and scraping and to fashion various puncturing, spearing, and clubbing weapons.

Meat fat is very important in making oil lamps.
Many so called weeds are actually beneficial in maintaining good health
  • Like the root of the Oregon Grape is excellent to make a soak for injuries to prevent infection,
  • and the inner bark of slippery elm is excellent for diarrhea and real bad runny nose type problems.
  • Valerian root is a good moderate pain reducer.
  • Stinging nettles harvested in spring make a great tea for back problems.
  • Raspberry leaf harvested in the spring makes a tea which helps detox your system - should be used daily as a morning beverage.
  • Soaking steel oats and using the water for daily consumption is tremendous in maintaining all around good health.
Bottom Line - talk is cheap are you ready for an action which can be initiated quickly?

Heck - I am not ready for that
bet most of you aren't and some of you only think you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM

3,491 posts, read 4,876,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
Only one of us us Goofy. Others of us are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Sleepy, Dopey, Sneezy,Happy, Bashful, Grumpy and Doc. Speaking for all of us, its nice to meet you Daffy -- uh -- Digital...

Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Only one of us us Goofy. Others of us are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Sleepy, Dopey, Sneezy,Happy, Bashful, Grumpy and Doc. Speaking for all of us, its nice to meet you Daffy -- uh -- Digital...
Greeting Earthling!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 925,079 times
Hmm. Well my motto is hope for the best, plan for the worst, and most of the time what happens kind of rolls back and forth between them in the middle.

I think that regardless of what might happen, just be prepared. Have food and fresh drinking water put away and ways to filter or sanitise water you're dubious about, first aid kits, extra medicine if you're on prescriptions you can't do without, wind up flashlights/torches, candles, matches, extra clothes, towels and blankets, rolls of thick plastic sheeting, toilet paper......

When I lived in Louisville, my mom always had emergency kits like the above stocked. Our likely emergency was a tornado, but really the kits would have been handy for pretty much anything. Everything was kept in sealed boxes and crates in the closet space under our basement steps--which admittedly would have been useless in a flood, but we lived on a higher elevation area.

My sister and I, children who didn't fully understand the potential for devastation, lived for tornado warnings! It meant that we'd all go to the basement (having packed up our most prized toys and taking them down there with us!); up went the plastic sheeting over the basement windows (I guess in case of wind blowing the glass in) and out would come the spare mattresses and sleeping bags; for us it was very exciting.......she'd let us use blankets to make tents over the armchairs, so it was kind of like camping out, but in the basement. Our nervous mother would sit there watching the news updates assembling fresh batteries into flashlights and the radio, and making sure the candles and matches were within her reach.

Now that I'm an adult, I have always done the same thing. I'd rather be safe than sorry, prepared as much as possible and hopefully never have to access any of it.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 925,079 times
Quote:

Points to note:
  1. Meal kits are difficult to move in volumes sufficient enough to feed most families considering fuel would be considerably scarce.
  2. Alaska is not a viable solution considering you have to get there and fair sure Canadian borders will shut down and planes will be grounded due to the abrasive ash getting in jet engines
  3. If you choose to join a band of roving marauders know that Isolationists like me will shoot and never ask what you want.
  4. Logic and reason who indicate trying to create covers for pants and jackets made of Kevlar to reduce potential abrasions on the everyday clothes in case you slip, trip, and fall it will protect your cloths from damage and reduce the permeation of ash into fabric so it lasts loner.
  5. More proper preparedness may consist of dry goods like rice, beans, salt, magnesium fire starters, ammo, gun cleaning supplies, sufficient portable water filtration, several knives and machete's, and a few sharping stones (both wet and dry) and plenty of dust masks (which are of no value when encountering severe gases)
  6. Have a cave set up where it would be difficult for people to find your hide out.
  7. have several dogs (not little yapping things - but serious guard types)
  8. if you chose an option with floating barge type life style make sure you can afford to be prepared BEFORE it happens and not sit there and just day dream of what you could do and have nothing when its time - in other words - Talk is cheap

Most of you are going in a difficult direction
  • You are overlooking portable in case you need to evacuate
  • You aren't preparing your basics - MRE's are great but you need a lot more cash to stock up enough - just store basics Legumes, grains, huge bags of salt, and lots of ammo for a few good weapons.
  • Consider barriers for a cave entry to keep floating ash our of your supplies. Ashes can be like a cement when it gets in stuff.

Let me tell ya $20.00 of rice and $20.00 in beans will last a LOT longer (like a week or more for a group of 5) that $40.00 worth of meals with a long shelf life (if you are lucky a meal or two for a group of 5)

I have seen many meals ready to eat that cost $5.00 each person (group of 5 for one meal = $25.00)

Right after a catastrophe - get out and collect dead deer, rabbits, squirrels, and get them dressed out and in a heavy salt solution to preserve the meat.

Remember the skins are good blankets and covers and bones can be used to make leather awls to puncture skins for stretching and scraping and to fashion various puncturing, spearing, and clubbing weapons.

Meat fat is very important in making oil lamps.
Many so called weeds are actually beneficial in maintaining good health
  • Like the root of the Oregon Grape is excellent to make a soak for injuries to prevent infection,
  • and the inner bark of slippery elm is excellent for diarrhea and real bad runny nose type problems.
  • Valerian root is a good moderate pain reducer.
  • Stinging nettles harvested in spring make a great tea for back problems.
  • Raspberry leaf harvested in the spring makes a tea which helps detox your system - should be used daily as a morning beverage.
  • Soaking steel oats and using the water for daily consumption is tremendous in maintaining all around good health.
Bottom Line - talk is cheap are you ready for an action which can be initiated quickly?

Heck - I am not ready for that
bet most of you aren't and some of you only think you are! :rolleyes
Excellent post! the bolded bit reminds me of my husband and I. We're thinking of posting a sign on our property access gates that says something along the lines of 'Trespassers will be shot on sight. Survivors will be shot again.' Our place is fairly isolated, and if something was to happen to us, it might be a while before anyone came along to assist, so on our place, we're the law of the land.

Must quote Charlie Daniels "Simple Man":
I'm the kind of man th'wouldn't harm a mouse
But if I catch somebody breakin' in my house
I got a 12 gauge shotgun a-waitin' on the other side

So don't go pushin' me against my will
I don't wanna have to fight ya, but I durn sure will
And if you don't want trouble, then you better just pass me on by

Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Excellent post! the bolded bit reminds me of my husband and I. We're thinking of posting a sign on our property access gates that says something along the lines of 'Trespassers will be shot on sight. Survivors will be shot again.' Our place is fairly isolated, and if something was to happen to us, it might be a while before anyone came along to assist, so on our place, we're the law of the land.

Must quote Charlie Daniels "Simple Man":
I'm the kind of man th'wouldn't harm a mouse
But if I catch somebody breakin' in my house
I got a 12 gauge shotgun a-waitin' on the other side

So don't go pushin' me against my will
I don't wanna have to fight ya, but I durn sure will
And if you don't want trouble, then you better just pass me on by
In this day and age a person must be prepared to do what is needed.

My wife and son are instructed to barricade themselves in the master bedroom if someone is trying to kick in the outer door. When some fool make the mistake of trying to open the door they are behind - start emptying all of the firearms at about door handle level - plenty of potential gut shot range.

Figure if someone was foolish enough to try to get in that doorway after they hear rounds being chambered into the weapons - well then they had sufficient warning! Time for a light show.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM

4,129 posts, read 5,100,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If that happened, I would turn off the newscast, drive to the Gulf coast, 200 miles from my house, get my family on our sailboat, and head south until I hit one of the Dutch West Indies. It would be about a three day reach to Mexico and, depending on winds, another two weeks to Aruba. Or maybe Panama. That would get me access to the Southern Hemisphere, including Australia and New Zealand.

The social upheaval and chaos in the United States would be unbelievable.
That's assuming the local governments would even let you in. Some of our southern neighbors might not cotton to boatloads of American sanctuary seekers.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM

3,491 posts, read 4,876,094 times
Y'all do realize, of course, that the explosive eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano could easily be an extinction-level event for most or all of the Northern Hemisphere and large expanses of coast in the Southern Hemisphere.

Based on my readings and surmisings, such an event could, and probably would, trigger volcanic eruptions and massive earthquakes all around the Ring of Fire, and they in turn would generate tremendous tsunamis. Not exactly the best of circumstances. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy, and the rest of us would NOT be happy...

From an old spiritual:

And God hung the Rainbow as a sign,

Won't be Water but Fire next time.

Perhaps they were onto something there.

-- Nighteyes

Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM

19,122 posts, read 19,863,404 times
Quote:
Greeting Earthling!
LOL........

Nice list man. You have been paying attention somewhere.

In NOT shtf I can pack on my back enough for 10 days in NH winter and have foods left upon my return home.

The thing I want to ask is if it a YS event, do you really want to survive it? My answer is No, but anything less is cake.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL........

Nice list man. You have been paying attention somewhere.

In NOT shtf I can pack on my back enough for 10 days in NH winter and have foods left upon my return home.

The thing I want to ask is if it a YS event, do you really want to survive it? My answer is No, but anything less is cake.
New Hampshire ... been there done that and even in Vermont did tent camping and it snowed ...

As far as survival of a Super Volcano - not sure it would be for long.

Much of it would depend on food.

Ash would cover vegetation so it won't grow and more of it would suffocate wildlife - so if you were to collect carcasses ... the likelihood that much would live long enough to replenish supplies could well be slim to none.

I would also expect fish to have a hard time surviving ... although better than venison, elk, and stuff would
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness