Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
Have you people forgotten? When the volcano blew in Iceland - Britain's air traffic came to nearly a screeching haul as did Austrian Airlines (about 1,700 miles apart) - and that one was not this presumed super volcano that some think will trigger the Ring of Fire in epic proportions.
Well, since I would be sailing, I'm not terribly worried about air travel. In fact, since hundreds of thousands of people would not be able to board airlines, that would work to my advantage.

Further, the jet stream would carry the ash cloud due east over the course of a couple of days, so the Gulf states would not be immediately affected. The problems they would have would come later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Well-organized evacuations of two hundred miles are nightmares. In a complete breakdown, only blind luck would get you through. If you did get through, why would you expect the boat to be there rather than stolen or burned?

The island "paradises" are not what so many think. They will run out of supplies very quickly. However, they will certainly welcome refugees on a well-stocked boat. The trouble is that they will consider the refugees themselves to be an addition to the food supply.
Two answers. First, as I stated in my previous posts, the Gulf States would not be immediately affected by the ash cloud. All models of such a catastrophe show that the ash cloud would initially spread over the plains states instead. So my expectation is that people in my region would sit tight, expecting to wait it out, rather than loading up their SUVs and scooting to Ft. Myers. I certainly don't expect a mass evacuation to the coastline in the initial day because they wouldn't see an immediate reason to. Meanwhile, since my marina is only 230 miles from my doorstep, with plenty of backroads along the way, my only concern is getting enough gas to make it there. Then it's two weeks from the Dutch controlled islands of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao.

Second, there are plenty of well organized governments in the equatorial regions. What's more, there are plenty of hidey holes in unpopulated areas. Given that a sailboat is a self-contained unit that can move away from troubled areas and isn't wholly reliant of diesel fuel (By the way, did you know you can produce diesel fuel from plant matter?), then my family's odds are waaaaaay better than fighting a few million people over the last case of baked beans in my shelter in a region that will undergo a very stark climate change. To be sure, similar effects will take place in the lower latitudes, but the climate change should not be nearly as severe and the recovery time will be less lengthy.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
cpg, seems like it could be a plan. I am sure the boat holds a tank of water, but is it enough for drinking? How long can you stay at sea and not get more drinking water, or near to drinking water?

What would you use as first bait for fishing? Does the boat have ******* and lures on board today?

I like the idea of your plan, but I am not sure it can work 100%. I really don't like the long drive part to get there a bit.

You won't get any better warning in a YS even than anyone else, and thar's no tellin' what a paniced population will be upto when they do. I sure don't know those answers either.

Refine, become redundant, refine more, get redundant

If I do that anymore than I have it will be my wife who kills me. She says i am senile...

Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
cpg, seems like it could be a plan. I am sure the boat holds a tank of water, but is it enough for drinking? How long can you stay at sea and not get more drinking water, or near to drinking water?

What would you use as first bait for fishing? Does the boat have ******* and lures on board today?

I like the idea of your plan, but I am not sure it can work 100%. I really don't like the long drive part to get there a bit.

You won't get any better warning in a YS even than anyone else, and thar's no tellin' what a paniced population will be upto when they do. I sure don't know those answers either.

Refine, become redundant, refine more, get redundant

If I do that anymore than I have it will be my wife who kills me. She says i am senile...
I have a mini warehouse near the marina with all that stuff, along with a water maker that turns salt water into fresh.

I understand your point, by the way. But I think I can get to the coast with my family with four-five hours of hard driving down backroads. I mean, compared to sitting on my butt at home home, taping over windows and counting cans of green beans, I'm thinking my strategy for survival is the higher percentage one. After all, a properly equipped sailboat is pretty much a self-contained unit that can generate its own electricity with solar (Assuming there's adequate sunlight) and diesel generators, as well as fresh water. With a sailboat, you can remove yourself from societal collapse, too, as long as your astute enough to see the warning signs. It provides a platform with which to fish, and you can pretty much anchor in some out-of-the-way places, too (Surinam, for example). What's more, with the cruiser community being a tight-knit group, it would be possible for any number of boats to combine resources for self-defense.

After making it to the ABC islands, I could listen in on the BBC and decide where to go from there depending on conditions. There's always St. Helena and Ascension in the middle of the Atlantic. Or, if I threaded the needle I could round the Cape of Good Hope and make it to Australia in roughly 100 days. Three months. Lesser sailors than me have done it.

To me, the hardest thing would be to find diesel fuel. However, there are ways to create it from biofuel. I have a booklet on it somewhere.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Man, if SHTF, people in Miami will be eating their neighbors raw within a week. I am fully aware of the complete anarchy that will occur, and have no plans to survive.

Shucks, it is always three days away from complete lawlessness here as it is, today.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM

cpg, 'A' part of the deal I worry about on a personal level for me and mine, is surviving 1,950 days when I need to survive 1,951 days to make it. Thar's no point in getting it wrong to miss the point where things ease up.

I didn't know you could make fresh water from salt on a personal level. The reason I worry about such things is after a YS like event life might get a little lonely, if no one else makes it.

Now I know others will, and life will go on, but there will be aftermath the likes of no one alive today has ever seen.

That boat got a wind gennie too? Seems like you got the bucks for one.

I have sailed, but my Dad's boat was smaller I think than yours, well the one I was allowed to take as a child was. But it was fun teasing the coast guard since Dad was a submariner WW-2 pac theater, and refuse engines on sail boats. He talked about real estate alot

If I recall that was a 32 foot sloop with a dog house you couldn't realy stand up in.

OT: years later on another boat a buddy bought the engine quit, and there were heavy swells. he got ill, and I put him on a power boat, leaving me with his gal (not married) and all the varrious liquor, of which I helped myself to, but not his gal. (I think she was a little upset over that deal)

The point: With little wind, I had to wait for the tide, and when the tide came IN I came in, and when I made his slip there was a puff of wind and I came about, and backed in! LOL

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Man, if SHTF, people in Miami will be eating their neighbors raw within a week. I am fully aware of the complete anarchy that will occur, and have no plans to survive.

Shucks, it is always three days away from complete lawlessness here as it is, today.
jasper this guy won't be there in a week if he gets it right. He will be gone with in the first 6 hours.

Now I wonder about that 6 hours myself..... Refine be redundant refine......

Once waiting in a eye doctors office in the deep south, as my wife got her eyes tested for glasses, the music there was so bad that waiting for the first 15 minutes almost killed me. 6 hours can be a long long long time.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Excuse me for interjecting, but do you honestly think all these southern hemispheric nations are going to welcoming with open arms fleeing Americans, especially in light of the current arguments about illegal immigrants? I do believe that some of you are in for a rather cool reception.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Excuse me for interjecting, but do you honestly think all these southern hemispheric nations are going to welcoming with open arms fleeing Americans, especially in light of the current arguments about illegal immigrants? I do believe that some of you are in for a rather cool reception.
Well that woud depend on what the Americans have in trade.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What? You think I'd just saunter into the harbor at Rio, drop the hook and ask for asylum? Lots of places to hide until things settle down.

But, nevertheless, the odds are STILL much, much better than waiting it out in Illinois or Tennessee or Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness