Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM

563 posts, read 929,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Do you have the link for us 'newbies'?
This is absolutely one of my favorite sites, have frequented it for years. Here is a link from that site which gives a good list;

SurvivalBlog.com

Use the site to find other good links to more info.

Also; American Preppers Network
The forums have great info / contacts.

Google FEMA, too

It's even fun if you get the whole family involved. Add things here and there over time. Rotate inventory. Talk about plans with the family of what to do in certain scenarios. Ie, tornado, hurricane, riot, blackouts, earthquakes, etc.

As you build your supplies, think about things like; will Grandma be coming here, too? Uncle Ed? The kids? Because if you have 10 days of food for your family of 4, but then your spouse's sibling shows up with his/her kids, guess what? You don't have 10 days of food for your family anymore.

From the starting point, it is entirely your ballgame. You can build a simple 72-hour kit and be happy. Or you can have 6-months supplies, weapons, windmill/ solar, a vehicle that pre-dates computers, seeds, etc. Whatever makes you happy.

But no matter what, just being somewhat prepared helps most sleep better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Radiation would contaminate all your supplies if you were close enough. That's why radiation is so insidious. There's no preparing for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't know... I think I just *might* be crazy after all.

You found my little Snuggles, I see. She's a bit cross today. The price of cat food has been rising... and, well, she just snapped.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Always liked that .gif.

I know our supplies can be protected from fallout, just by covering or enclosing them and carefully wiping it off prior to uncovering. Even garden soil can still be usable if you tarp it before the fallout gets there. Not sure if that would also protect things from radiation though. Does anyone know?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
This is absolutely one of my favorite sites, have frequented it for years. Here is a link from that site which gives a good list;

SurvivalBlog.com

Use the site to find other good links to more info.

Also; American Preppers Network
The forums have great info / contacts.

Google FEMA, too

It's even fun if you get the whole family involved. Add things here and there over time. Rotate inventory. Talk about plans with the family of what to do in certain scenarios. Ie, tornado, hurricane, riot, blackouts, earthquakes, etc.

As you build your supplies, think about things like; will Grandma be coming here, too? Uncle Ed? The kids? Because if you have 10 days of food for your family of 4, but then your spouse's sibling shows up with his/her kids, guess what? You don't have 10 days of food for your family anymore.

From the starting point, it is entirely your ballgame. You can build a simple 72-hour kit and be happy. Or you can have 6-months supplies, weapons, windmill/ solar, a vehicle that pre-dates computers, seeds, etc. Whatever makes you happy.

But no matter what, just being somewhat prepared helps most sleep better.
Thanks, Wanderer! I'm prepping for shorter term disasters, probably no more than a month or two. Because of my location, a 'biggie' most likely would be quickly fatal for us.

I'm starting with a simple 3-7 day list. Money is tight, so it's mostly buying extra things while on sale (which we do anyway), accumulation gallon jugs of water, and gathering simple tools in case we have to bug out. Fortunately, I've taken a quick inventory of the basement storage, and according to the Emergency Essentials analyzer, we're not in very bad shape. I mostly need to accumulate water and gather some things into one place.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Radiation would contaminate all your supplies if you were close enough. That's why radiation is so insidious. There's no preparing for it.
That's simply not true. Tests by the Oak Ridge National Laboratories and others in the 1950's and 1960's confirmed that radiation does not "get into" things like food, water, etc. Nothing that has been exposed to radiation becomes radioactive - period.

Radioactive material like "fallout" can get onto edible plants, or into them if they're washed into in the soil where the plants are growing. Radioactive material may fall into water, but thoughtful water-gathering will remove the particles. Too, radioactive material may get into living creatures - including humans - if they consume something with radioactive material on it. If packaged foods get fallout on them, just carefully/thoroughly wipe or rinse them off.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-25-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM

229 posts, read 439,862 times
Quote:
Do you have the link for us 'newbies'?
The top foods you should keep in case of an emergency - Food on Shine

This will see you through a short period of hard times, no matter what they might be. Canned goods aren't the best thing if you are planning to "bug out" but they sure come in handy when the power goes down because of bad weather.

Is there a municipally approved fire-pit in your back yard or on the balcony? How about a heavy weight pan without plastic handles?

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM

563 posts, read 929,727 times
Quote:
Thanks, Wanderer! I'm prepping for shorter term disasters, probably no more than a month or two. Because of my location, a 'biggie' most likely would be quickly fatal for us.

I'm starting with a simple 3-7 day list. Money is tight, so it's mostly buying extra things while on sale (which we do anyway), accumulation gallon jugs of water, and gathering simple tools in case we have to bug out. Fortunately, I've taken a quick inventory of the basement storage, and according to the Emergency Essentials analyzer, we're not in very bad shape. I mostly need to accumulate water and gather some things into one place.
Impressive! Not so much of a newbie after all.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post

SurvivalBlog.com .................
I was not aware of that website until it was posted on this forum. Very informative as are the additional linked websites from their site. I download their podcasts onto my phone and listen them over the car radio when I am driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
I've been beating the "prepared" drum all my life, I suppose, and live what is preached. More than once I've grabbed bags and filled them with canned goods and frozen meat for friends and family going through a rough time in their lives. Mostly I feel like the young folks roll their eyes and think, "There she goes again!"

But visiting Facebook this morning showed a link provided by one of my nephews. The news story was talking about what sorts of things should be in your household, just in case. It reminded me that I need to replace a couple things in my cabinet.
See, this is the great thing: your preparedness lifestyle influenced your nephew. He may influence other family members and friends similarly to become prepared or at least get them thinking about the idea. Who knows how many other lives might be saved or impacted for the better during an emergency.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
When we lived in CA we had our earthquake kit.

However, all the prepping in the world would have been worthless to most of the people in Japan that had their homes destroyed. They had just a few minutes warning, then everything was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness