U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM

829 posts, read 2,475,486 times

Advertisements

Because of sinuses i believe my ear has some stuff going on...The other day, well i guess last weekend...my hear was draining and moist...that stopped, and now today it doesnt hurt...i feel "something" but not pain, unless i touch an area in my ear it is tender...none the less...i have a z pack that i could take, but i dont know if its infected...i was wondering does anyone know of any home remedies that may work? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM

627 posts, read 1,091,704 times
A couple of months ago, I felt something was wrong with my left ear as it also was discharging. Then it started feeling like there was a heaviness or something hanging. My ear was swollen.

So I looked up and found that a few drops of Alcohol was good to kill any bacteria. I also read the Vinegar was used for years as a remedy for ear infection. And I also use Hydrogen Peroxide in my ears to clean them - it was also recommended.

So I did all three. One hour I used Hydrogen Peroxide, a couple of hours later I used the Vinegar, and a couple more down the line I used the Alcohol.

By the next morning my ear was fine. A few days later it came back and I realized that my knit cap could have still had some discharge that reinfected me.

Did it again and washed my cap. I was fine after that.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,362,892 times
OP, might use a Neti Pot to address the sinus problem and tonight sleep on your side with the affected ear down with a heating pad set on "low" on your pillow.

You can make homemade ear drops by mixing 100% Isopropyl alcohol with distilled white vinegar in a 50/50 solution.

If you observe or feel any signs of infection (redness, swelling, fever) or have any dizziness/loss of balance seek medical attention immediately, an ENT if at all possible.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 PM

3,668 posts, read 5,780,695 times
Ooooh, don't like the sleeping on a heating pad thing. (sorry, Mo) Too dangerous!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,362,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Ooooh, don't like the sleeping on a heating pad thing. (sorry, Mo) Too dangerous!
It should not be dangerous set on low. I believe the newer ones have an auto shut-off after 60-90 min. anyway, at least one I purchased a few years ago does.. Yes, I was raised that it was dangerous too but my mother always made an exception for ear infections. We lived in the water in the summers and otitis externa & otitis media were a regular occurance. Ear drops and the heating pd more than cut trips to the ENT in half.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:08 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,133,474 times
I've used olive oil in the past for ear aches with reasonable success. I'd heard about doing so long before, and when I had an ear ache, I just used a drop or two in the affected ear, and the pain subsided fairly soon.

Perhaps salad dressing (oil & vinegar) would work, too!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 AM

17 posts, read 16,334 times
Garlic oil will work every time. (Whether its an infection or just pain). You can make it by crushing a bulb of garlic and putting it in a small jar and adding olive oil (any oil will work, olive oil or neem oil is best) and leaving it to sit for an hour (if you really must use it quickly--longer is preferred) to a week, then heating it to a bit above room temperature and using a dropper to put a few drops into the affected ear. Let it sit in the ear for at least a few minutes (20 minutes preferrably). Refrigerate the leftover oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or