Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM

99 posts, read 531,471 times

Advertisements

Do you have real experience in the field or just extensive research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

17 posts, read 18,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
Do you have real experience in the field or just extensive research?
That depends on what you mean. I have researched herbal/alternative healing for most of my life. In that time, I've had practical / hands on experience (I've made infusions, salves, decoctions, compresses, poultices, etc, but I haven't distilled any essential oils.) and also have treated a lot of my family's ills.

I also have experience in wildcrafting. Is that what you meant? Not sure if I answered your question or not...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
It's a crying shame the medical doctors have sewn up the practice of "medicine" so that you can be sued for even thinking about helping people if you do not have a medical license.

You seem to have done a good job with your disclaimer in your first post, but you might want to consider adding a disclaimer to every post - where it says "member" maybe you could say "I am not a medical doctor, seek medical advice for any ailment" or something to that effect.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM

26 posts, read 43,169 times
I am alive because of the herbs! Several times I almost died from the attention of the medical profession. For those who research and use herbs I commend you and thank those involved in saving my life.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If a person were to try to grow his/her own herbs for medicinal purposes, what would be the top 15 herbal plant recommendations? By top 15 I mean those most valuable for frequency and versatility of use.
Quote:

I am in planting zone 4.

Thanks!

Hmm. I'm not sure there are 15 versatile herbs that will grow in zone 4. So, I may add recommendations that aren't as versatile, or would require a container which could be brought inside in winter? Also, you'll have to rank them yourself. What I consider most useful may differ from your opinion. If your family is prone to colds and flu, and no one ever gets burned, etc, the ranking will change. Also, some tropical plants which wouldn't survive in zone 4 are some of the most versatile. If you have a greenhouse, you can grow ginger, which has a very wide variety of uses.

#1 Most important--Plantain (not the bananalike substance). Plantain is useful for a great variety of ailments. Seen as a weed, it is very prolific in almost any zone above 3. It's good for bites and stings, has historically been used as an antivenom for rattlesnake bite, as an antibiotic/antiviral, and as a tonic.The leaves and seeds are used as an antibacterial, astringent, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, diuretic, expectorant, and a laxative. Its native american name translates to 'life medicine'. It is also good for for asthma, emphysema, bladder problems, bronchitis, fever, hypertension, rheumatism and blood sugar control. A decoction of the roots is used in the treatment of a wide range of complaints including diarrhoea, dysentery, gastritis, peptic ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhage, hemorrhoids, cystitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, coughs, asthma and hay fever.

#2--Garlic. An antibiotic/antiviral which is also good for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, for cuts and scrapes, as a mosquito repellent, for ear aches, and for a lot of other things too. This is one of the most important and versatile herbs in the world, in my opinion.

#3--Hyssop. It was mentioned in the bible for it's healing and cleansing effects. Those things are still true today. It has antiviral properties, antiseptic compounds, so it's good to get over colds and flus, or a wound.

#4--Rosemary. It has been used as a tonic, a digestive aid, to calm muscle spasms, promote menstration, to treat depression, to treat colds, and for headaches. Externally, it's been used in an ointment for rheumatism, sores, eczema, bruises, and wounds. This one isn't very cold hardy, so a container gardening system would be best.

#5--Yarrow. Good for coughs and colds, it also aids digestion and may improve appetite, it's used as a tonic, for liver problems, fever, stomach cramps, rheumatism, menstrual cramping, hypertension, flatulence, and diarrhea. Externally, yarrow is good as an astringent for acne, skin toner and hair conditioner. Also, for wounds, cuts, scrapes, rashes, and burns, and the leaves and stems can be crushed and used on the spot to help stop bleeding and aid in healing.

#6--Chamomile. An antifungal herb, it's also good for mild insomnia, menstrual cramps, stomach cramps, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea, fever, colds, congestion, headaches, insomnia, nausea, vomiting, stress, nervousness, and poor digestion. For babies, it is helpful with symptoms of colic and teething pain. Externally, it's good for ulcers, infections, rashes, and burns. In a steam inhaler it is also good for asthma, hay fever, and sinusitis.

#7--Dandelion. Another one which you probably have in your yard or nearby. Extremely prolific (like you wouldn't believe unless you'd seen it. XD) It's commonly used as a liver tonic, as a diuretic, and the white sap is a wart remover. It's also been used for jaundice (related to the liver tonic qualities).

#8--Catnip. The common cold, chickenpox, fever, flu, sore throat, mumps, measles, anxiety, and also as a diuretic, and to improve appetite.

#9--Burdock. Used for burns, abscesses, acne, boils, arthritis, allergies, backache, and most skin conditions.

#10--Willow. Medicinally, it is good for anything aspirin is. Which includes pain, fever, drawing things to a head (externally), acne (specifically, blackheads), and will carry itself and other herbs through the skin (therefore is good as a soak ingredient for wounds). Non-medicinally, it can also be used to make baskets.

#11--Comfrey. Good for wounds, itching, and most skin conditions. For wounds, it can be used as herbal first aid if you happen to have some comfrey root lying about at the time of injury. It is also used as a general tonic, and for sprains, bruises, and broken bones.

#12--Boneset. Good for fever, and traditionally used for broken bones. Also good for colds, heatstroke, and flu, muscle pains, and as a decongestant.

#13--St John's Wort. Commonly known as a treatment for depression, St John's Wort is also good for bites and stings, bruises, scrapes, and nerve pain. But it can cause some sensitivity to sun, and also can interact with some medications. So make sure to look up the drug interactions and check for any medications you (or whoever you're treating) are on.

#14--Spearmint. It is a cough suppressant, a pain reliever, a decongestant, and good to relieve the pain of burns especially.

#15--Aloe. Nothing better for burns and sunburn, but its also good for other skin conditions. You couldn't plant it in the ground (it's a tropical plant) but you could have a houseplant on a windowsill. Don't over water it, though, it's a desert plant.

Last edited by Aoekae; 04-25-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM

99 posts, read 531,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoekae View Post
That depends on what you mean. I have researched herbal/alternative healing for most of my life. In that time, I've had practical / hands on experience (I've made infusions, salves, decoctions, compresses, poultices, etc, but I haven't distilled any essential oils.) and also have treated a lot of my family's ills.

I also have experience in wildcrafting. Is that what you meant? Not sure if I answered your question or not...
Yep, that answered it, I was wondering what kind of experience you have.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael3 View Post
I am alive because of the herbs! Several times I almost died from the attention of the medical profession. For those who research and use herbs I commend you and thank those involved in saving my life.
Why thank you. I have noticed that a lot of pharmaceuticals and such do more harm than they help. And doctors cannot treat viruses, but herbalists can. Of course, for some things (such as stitches/surgeries/splinting broken bones) doctors are better. But a lot of serious conditions can be treated just as well (and sometimes better) with herbs. Not all of them, of course, but such is life.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
re: post #15

Thank you.

Have plenty of dandilions, garlic, and willow growing in the wild. So, I'll concentrate on the others. Don't have a greenhouse but serveral good & sunny windows in the winter.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-25-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's a crying shame the medical doctors have sewn up the practice of "medicine" so that you can be sued for even thinking about helping people if you do not have a medical license.

You seem to have done a good job with your disclaimer in your first post, but you might want to consider adding a disclaimer to every post - where it says "member" maybe you could say "I am not a medical doctor, seek medical advice for any ailment" or something to that effect.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that. As soon as I figure out how to do so.

Yep. It's a crazy world when someone has to worry about being sued for telling someone an orange will cure their scurvy.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
re: post #15

Thank you.

Have plenty of dandilions, garlic, and willow growing in the wild. So, I'll concentrate on the others. Don't have a greenhouse yet but planning for one by Fall.
You're very welcome Lemonbalm will also grow in zone 4. It's good for digestion and such, as a skin cleanser, for acne, as an insect repellent, for fevers, for tension headaches, and to make a tea taste good. (Useful for some of the nastier tasting herbs out there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness