Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Can't even buy common cold medicines anymore unmolested like was perfectly normal, perfectly reasonable, and perfectly non-criminal for decades... lest you now face a federal felony if you exceed some rather arbitrary quantity per unit of time.

Some of the cold medication makers even had to resort to substituting a less effective ingredient so as to minimize any legal problems. Not sure who's legal problems, but the hassle of the new law obviously led them to make the change... so now... you can either use the watered down versions of Sudafed with the less effective ingredient (when I am sick, what I need is not less effective medication... but more effective medication), or you can just go through the little hassle of buying the pseudoephedrine stuff in which they take down your identification and other assorted silliness (having to ask for it, behind the counter)... and heaven forbid you have allergies, are chronically sick, or have a few extra family members and you normally have a well stocked medicine cabinet.... you buy a few extra boxes too much, and its off to prison for you for being a perfectly normal and average in every way person... simply for buying cold medicine).

And of course, as you mentioned the plethora of odd banking regulations, such as the reporting requirement for larger transactions (the 'threshold' originally was much lower, but they got so overwhelmed with regular peoples transactions getting reported, instead of criminal enterprises, that they had to 'up' the threshold), and the "no structuring transactions" requirement [which even applies to Postal Money orders]. Ostensibly, laws like the Bank Secrecy Act, Annunzio-Wiley, etc... were, by design, supposed to be used against criminal enterprises.... but instead they simply applied it to everyone, even when every single penny of your money is perfectly "clean" in every way. You can now become a federal felon for doing some very simple things like using two money orders to pay for something you bought online... even though, again, all your money is perfectly clean and you otherwise have not done a damn thing wrong other than running afoul of a bizarre nuance of a law that when it was created, didn't even have innocent people and their money in mind.

[rant... rant.... ] Nevermind. I'm going off on a tangent. I'll let it go, as its beyond the scope of the original discussion.

[Edit] Okay, I couldn't resist. I have to throw in just one thing:

CPSC Bans Lawn Darts (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5053.html - broken link)

^^^^ Anyone over 30 years of age might remember those. Lawn Darts (otherwise known as "Jarts"). A backyards family game thats been played for.... well... I don't know... perhaps decades.... I had fond memories of playing this with my grandfather in his backyard. Now, no longer allowed for sale; future generations of kids deprived of the simplest backyard pleasure (maybe we could ban the sale of jump ropes next for our own good. Perhaps hopscotch... might sprain an ankle..).

For many years I tried to find these things in the stores and was perplexed why I could not find them. A few years ago I finally decided to look it up online, to see if I could find an answer. Well, there was my answer. I've actually entertained the idea of making nice custom wood lawn jarts and selling them to the underground market that still exists for this game. I wonder what the legal ramifications would be if I were to decide to go into the business of making and selling Lawn Jarts.

There was an article on Yahoo the other day about yet another kid who got killed by a baseball. Yeah, we should outlaw that too, and make it a felony to sell any baseball related products... oh, and hockey pucks... and don't forget to ban 4-Loco liquor because some stupid college kids liquored themselves up (oh wait, they already have that one well under way) Ariz. Little Leaguer killed after pitch hits chest (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110604/ap_on_sp_ot/us_pitch_kills_boy - broken link)

I hope you are not feeling poorly about the cold meds telling, because I had no idea. I do some things a little different than most people on colds and don't buy stuff, but make it, and I avoid sick people. So that was very informitive and I don't doubt it for a second.

At 59 years I recall lawn darts but was too old to care. What happened? Some fool go an try to catch one, and get stabbed thru the head? To me that's just Darwinism at it's best weeding out the to stupid to live.

I suffered that sort of thing as a child. I could have a 22 rifle at age 6, and it was mine to to keep in my room and to take as I pleased. But for some reason my mother drew the line there and I couldn't have a jack knife. Any time she found one she threw it in a pond. And to this day while I have many guns, I still collect knives I don't make. Most of these are switch blades. They are good letter openers and that's about it.

You won't find me bring a knife to a gun fight, but if I did it would be a massive bowei I found in a cellar hole. It needed some work to say the least. And I sometimes make knives and have even for sale getting up to 450 for some. So it's silly to collect switch blades but I just can't help myself. And OH the law in NH changed about this time last year, so now my switch blades are even legal...... Still they just make good letter openers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I hope you are not feeling poorly about the cold meds telling, because I had no idea. I do some things a little different than most people on colds and don't buy stuff, but make it, and I avoid sick people. So that was very informitive and I don't doubt it for a second.
I don't really 'do' medication since I am blessed with near perfect health, but nonetheless, I guess lots of people do go to the drugstores for meds... and so now they have this relatively 'new' law:

Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 - Wikipedia

Quote:
At 59 years I recall lawn darts but was too old to care. What happened? Some fool go an try to catch one, and get stabbed thru the head? To me that's just Darwinism at it's best weeding out the to stupid to live.
Yeah, apparently a few people got the idea of throwing them way up into the air for fun..... and then misjudging where it was going to come down.... occasionally landing in peoples various body parts, including their head.

I probably did that myself a time or two with the Jarts, when I was a kid.... Heck, I used to have "rock wars" (we would actually throw rocks at each other - don't ask)... but.... ones stupidity and the consequences to themselves thereof, are theirs to bear... it shouldn't be made everyone else's problem.

Quote:
"And to this day while I have many guns, I still collect knives I don't make. Most of these are switch blades. They are good letter openers and that's about it." ... "You won't find me bring a knife to a gun fight, but if I did it would be a massive bowei I found in a cellar hole. It needed some work to say the least. So it's silly to collect switch blades but I just can't help myself."

"And OH the law in NH changed about this time last year, so now my switch blades are even legal...... Still they just make good letter openers.
Yeah, I saw there was a thread in the NH city-data forum about that change in law regarding switchblades being made legal. I was reading it the other day. I'm sure some people like them for collecting and novelty, but I don't think it has much practical use. I'll just stick with my SOG brand Seal knife.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:43 PM

FTA, I am serious about using switchblades for letter openers. That's all they are good for. IMO anyway.

I am sitting here laffin my butt off on the lawn darts thing. I got in a little trouble with the old fashion lawn darts, the ones from around 8,000 years ago, called Atlatals ho ho ho

I misjudged the wind one day, and with a dart 5 feet long tipped with a USA made bayonet, harpooned me a never been in the water once ABS Old Town canoe laying upside down in a field. It was just over 150 yards away. Man was that owner upset!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Better the canoe than the owner. Then the upsettedness would have been extreme.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM

The owner was throwin too... he missed his own canoe though... Thankfully Old Town makes a patch kit and I am not too bad at body work. I offered to buy a new canoe in the instant, and would have taken the damaged one. That didn't happen but I made a invisible repair, at my cost of course.

This particular time was my first try at building Atlatals, and I didn't understand, Me, I, could throw any spear like thing any 150 yards.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Location: A rich man is not one who has the most, but one who needs the least
25 posts, read 169,863 times
Quote:

It's good for my elderly 6 pack abs LOL

Mac... Not bad for an elderly guy... not bad at all..

Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelah View Post
Mac... Not bad for an elderly guy... not bad at all..
Who you callin' eldery?!!!!!!!

Why I'll take on (6) 20 year olds in my mountains any month you choose, but I do prefer winter! 30 mile treck 48 hours, I gotta go to work ya know.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness