Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,142,663 times

Advertisements

I like my Smith & Wesson Airweight, .38+P. Snubby, hammerless, 5 shot. I bought it for concealed carry, use it for HD as well. Shoots sweet, has rubber grips. When I have $ again, I will buy a longer revolver, probably 4 inch, 6 shooter, with hammer. I like a hammer for plinking. For concealed carry, it is too easily snagged. I don't plan to ever **** a hammer for defense use, as the gun then has a hair trigger. Not good in stressful situation. Double action trigger pull is a good safety & still easily pulled when needed.

While I have less capacity with a revolver, it is more reliable and easier to shoot than an auto. I like them too & will get a real one eventually. I have a .25 auto, a Raven. Bought it before knowing better. But I think a revolver is the best 1st gun. No separate mags to lose, can shoot most any ammo, simple operation, easier to clean, etc.

I have a Savage pump gun, 12 gauge, but with 30 inch barrel. Too long for HD use. Eventually, I will get a short barrel pump, but will always get one with top mounted thumb safety. With a little practice, the thumb safety is easy to use. Keep safety on at all times, flick off when raising to fire, back on when lowering. Can even leave on while fine tuning aim, then flick off. That would be impossible with trigger safeties. Too awkward, take lots of extra moves to use them. I have that on a .22 rifle and an air rifle. A pump or auto has a light trigger pull & needs a convenient safety, in my humble opinion.

Above all, be sure what's in front of you before shooting. Nothing wrong with killing a dangerous intruder but don't nail 1 of your kids or your wife. I had a situation last year, hearing someone at the door. Waited in hall with my gun pointed toward ceiling,
finger OFF trigger. Door opened, I hit the light. It was my daughter, had waked up and gone to car for a stuffed animal, left there night before. She was scared, but relieved later, that I was ready if she had been an intruder. If I had shot without thinking, I would be a mental basket case from then on.

Last edited by jmellc; 06-06-2011 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,949,825 times
I seemed to have lost my blue ribbon somewhere Jordan

J, you might want to trade that Raven. It's best function is as a paper weight. I had one once too, so I know. In fact i compared it to a like size gun, a Iver Johnson TP 22, which is walther like, and in .22 LR.

The .22LR beats the .25acp hands down in wet phone books at the same distance.

As usual I am having a bad time getting around single action wheel gun modes. Reading about your airweight hamerless guns is interesting.. The nannied word i can 't get figured..... "****hammer" ???

Man I hate the nannie.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,676,505 times
What would be the biggest gun a person would need for home/self defense?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM

IMO a 12 ga shot gun.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:04 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,676,505 times
How realistic is an AK-47 for personal defense of a home in most situations?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Not good, and I own 3 of them..... First of all you won't need 30 rnds which is typical for the mags, secondly the ballistics are similar to the Winchester 30-30 rnd. A short to mid range rifle rnd. It will pass thru more than one wall and a bad guy, and may hit someone elses house. You would put any other people in your home at risk shooting the weapon inside your dwelling.

A 12 ga would be plenty bad enough inside your house.

The Ak is a good brush gun being in 30 cal, and semi slow rounds.. It is good for game up to deer sized. You can get a legal for hunting 5 rnds mag for them too. Ak's are not particularly accurate however, but since they do close in work in war and would be used close in on deer they make fairly good huntiung guns, Nothing like a bolt gun, or other American and some nicer foreign hunting guns, but will do well in close.

Ak are not really rifles, but machine gun designed, and the barrel whips around. See if you can get a slow motion video of one being fired and then you can see the barrel whip. Barrel Whip is a term used in gun tech talk. It refers to the recoil of the steel barrel, and AK's have a nasty whip, which moves the steel before the bullet has left. This also drives the cleaning rod out from the holder spring. On paper you won't get minute of angle from the AK either. You will never shoot a clover leaf group at any distance no matter what you do.

Mounted on a bi-pod they shoot high because the weight of the gun bends the barrel. Don't buy a Ak then then try to build a better gun of it, because that just won't work. These are plinkers and close range hunting guns.

Now say TSHF and you have to walk for the rest of your days in a land where there is no law, then it might be a ok gun like a big pistol, but then the would would be Mad Max like. You would be wearing parts of tires as armor LOL.

I see you are in Cal, and if this is still true you can't probably own any AK there. Last i knew the Ak type gun you could have in Cal was a Ak that worked manually by pump action, just like a pump shot gun. I am not sure what the mag resrictions in Cal would be.

I think Cal allows 18 and 1/2 inch shotgun barreled guns, and IMO a pump gun is the best gun to have for SD and HD.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,120,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
How realistic is an AK-47 for personal defense of a home in most situations?

If overpenatration is not an issue...

Go for it.

For most: That's not the case.

As to the J frame... and wanting a Hammer.

S&W Bodyguard. (And I don't mean that new abomination... I mean the shrouded hammer)

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,120,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Not good, and I own 3 of them..... First of all you won't need 30 rnds which is typical for the mags, Never hurts to have "Too much ammo" in a gunfight. secondly the ballistics are similar to the Winchester 30-30 rnd. A short to mid range rifle rnd. It will pass thru more than one wall and a bad guy, and may hit someone elses house. You would put any other people in your home at risk shooting the weapon inside your dwelling.Agreed

A 12 ga would be plenty bad enough inside your house.Depends on the load.

The Ak is a good brush gun being in 30 cal, and semi slow rounds.. It is good for game up to deer sized. You can get a legal for hunting 5 rnds mag for them too. Ak's are not particularly accurate however, but since they do close in work in war and would be used close in on deer they make fairly good huntiung guns, Nothing like a bolt gun, or other American and some nicer foreign hunting guns, but will do well in close.You mean past 300

Ak are not really rifles, but machine gun designed, and the barrel whips around. See if you can get a slow motion video of one being fired and then you can see the barrel whip. Barrel Whip is a term used in gun tech talk. It refers to the recoil of the steel barrel, and AK's have a nasty whip, which moves the steel before the bullet has left.LMFAO! REALLY dude... REALLY? I've heard you say some doozies, but I NEVER expected this one... go look again. the CLEANING ROD is not locked into place... and THAT is flexing. Optical illusion and all that. Look close.
"Barrel whip is a term used in Gun Tech Talk" I Know SEVERAL custom Gunsmiths... never heard it before. Do barrels FLEX?
Sure.

IS what you are talking about a myth?
Yes.

But I encourage people to go look...

This also drives the cleaning rod out from the holder spring. On paper you won't get minute of angle from the AK either. You will never shoot a clover leaf group at any distance no matter what you do.

Mounted on a bi-pod they shoot high because the weight of the gun bends the barrel. Not necessarely Don't buy a Ak then then try to build a better gun of it, because that just won't work. Tell that to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics, or Will at Red Jacket. These are plinkers and close range hunting guns.Is 500 yards close?

Now say TSHF and you have to walk for the rest of your days in a land where there is no law, then it might be a ok gun like a big pistol, but then the would would be Mad Max like. You would be wearing parts of tires as armor LOL.

I see you are in Cal, and if this is still true you can't probably own any AK there. FALSE Last i knew the Ak type gun you could have in Cal was a Ak that worked manually by pump action, just like a pump shot gun. I am not sure what the mag resrictions in Cal would be.

I think Cal allows 18 and 1/2 inch shotgun barreled guns, and IMO a pump gun is the best gun to have for SD and HD.
Pump guns are NOT the best.

Nonshooters often ;short stroke' them under pressure.
I'd push a semi if.

Also they are unwieldy to maneuver in a house and take both hands... Too bad if you need to hold your kid.

Urban combat takes training.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM

Semi to me, mated with a novice is an accident waiting to happen. Shooting any weapon hand guns even requires both hands. Holding a child and a gun to use at the same time isn't going to really work out well. It endangers the child double.

This is just my opinion though.

I agree training is a very wise idea, but who will really pay and take that time.

I am not aware of your personal back ground and you may be a trainer for all I know, or maybe like me you grew up with a father who trained you and hunted with you.

Handling guns is fairly natural for me, and I do that every single day.

Combat training is probably out of our scope here. Combat and SD/HD are different things.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM

I missed the replies with in the quote. You are just plain wrong about barrel whip. This is why target only guns have Bull Barrels. The fact you don't know this is a little surprising.

The fact you don't know it on AKs means you probably don't own any, and so never saw slow motion hi speed video of the barrel wiggling around like a string of spagetti.

500 yards with a Ak shooting the 7.62 x 39 is rather quite a feat. Got a link for that ? I know the round flies that far and much more but getting in on a 4x8 sheet of plywood is more pure luck than anything.

Would you use a Winchester 30-30 lever gun Model 94 for that shot? How big was the bulls eye man

I just can't wait to see your target 1 moa AK gun pics. I bet it has satilite tv, radio, 2 flashlites a bayonnet mounted swiss army knife, paddles and a raft.

Just how many gun fights have you been involved in anyway? Not military combat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness