Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

As a landscaper solar lights never even entered my mind for emergency lighting. Damn what the heck else have I over looked.

Thanks Country Sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,271,755 times
Default A few more thoughts

For those who are interested, we used flower pots with dirt in them to keep the light upright. We also had some old bricks, the kind with 3 holes, around the yard. Three of them stacked on top of each other would hold 2 of the lights. The lights would run for about 2 days before dimming.

After my original post, I mentally went back to Katrina. We were listening to the radios. The stations were off the air, but some ham operators were keeping everyone posted. It was frightening to hear them talk about the looting going on. I felt sorry for everyone who was too poor, too old or too handicapped to get out of New Orleans. The government was not a lot of help.

We heard that a mob of mostly young people was crossing the bridge from New Orleans. The general consensus was that they were going to demand refuge, and if it was denied, were going to take what they wanted by force. We were afraid at first that it was the Causeway bridge, but we realized that the Causeway is too long, and no one was sure it was safe.

I am of two minds about one thing: should I use blackout curtains or not. Using blackout curtains would make my house look unoccupied at night and hopefully any government looters would pass by. But would this make the nongovernment looters more likely to break in?

Have any of you thought this thru, or used blackout curtains?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I might guess if you want to hide from the Govt in a storm like that have a can of orange paint on hand and mark the house checked out. I don't know the meaning of the big X they paint, with assorterd other lettering in portions of the X, but it isn't hard to find out probably.

So long as you are cool with no help, that is one idea to get left alone.

I find with a clip board and a yellow hard hat you can go to a lot of so-called official areas, and pretty much do as you want.

You just need to get the right look ...

Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,271,755 times
Default Big X

The big 'X' was to indicate that the house had been checked for survivors and bodies. The indicators inside the 'X' told the date searched and if anyone was found.

Some of the houses in St. Bernard Parish had the 'X' marked on their roofs. The water was that high.

By the way, in the older homes in New Orleans, an axe was sunk into a rafter and left there. In the event of a flood, it was used to chop a hole in the roof so people could escape. This was explained to me by my mother-in-law when we were in her attic. Her axe was still there when the home was sold.

One this to note, the police went from door to door in New Orleans confiscating guns until the NRA stopped them. The police found it easier than chasing the looters and other criminals that were wandering the streets.

Yes, I am still bitter about what happened to some of my friends.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:48 PM

Yeah I can tell. The idea of the X was to mark the place as searched. That way you are not as likey to get searched, IF that's what you want. A means to hide so long as you want too.

It's interesting about the axes. I didn't know that.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM

I keep a stash of 3/4inch A-A plywood cut to fit all my windows for a quick installation. I have several cans of the orange marking paint in the garage for just this purpose. I like the ax in th rafter idea. Never heard of that either and I actually live in a 500 year flood area.

Fortunately I live on a block with a bunch of Korean and Nam Vets that are like minded preparers. Would be an ugly scene if confiscations or looting ever came down our block. Hopefully I'd have my family at our BOP place in the Sierras by then. Seriously some of those Korean Vets even scare me. Had the chance to have a few beers with them yesterday at a neighborhood BBQ. A couple of them even have a few special items in break down form ready to go at a moments notice if you know what I mean.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
So with all the floods and storms and disasters of late, and reports of shortages of supplies and food, has FEMA been out with their armed agents confiscating Aunt Salleys cabbage patch? I would assume from what some have written that armed fedreal agents are raiding farms left and right, so will someone please post the actual confiscations that are occuring by federal agents that caused all the hysteria.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
So with all the floods and storms and disasters of late, and reports of shortages of supplies and food, has FEMA been out with their armed agents confiscating Aunt Salleys cabbage patch? I would assume from what some have written that armed fedreal agents are raiding farms left and right, so will someone please post the actual confiscations that are occuring by federal agents that caused all the hysteria.
Save it for the P&C Forum would ya. Got any actual helpful info to share?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Save it for the P&C Forum would ya. Got any actual helpful info to share?
Yes, look at the begining and I said that this topic was being misinterpreted by some. It was not what many thought it was. But many just poo-pooed that thought and went on their survivalist, " The FEDS are coming to confiscate your veggies" kick. Well after all the stuff that has happened, based on many post, those armed federal agents should have been kicking in doors of farms and grabbing foods. Or at least that's the play book some have been posting. I just want to know if any of the hysteria is coming true?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Well each Fall I get black choppers lookin' over my veggie garden, so i am sure the Govt knows I have a garden. I am pretty sure they are lookin' for the wild wood weeds too , but I don't grow that stuff, because i don't use that stuff, but if i did I would grow it.

Now if I grew it doncha think them boys in the all black choppers would land and be armed?

I don't think for 2 shakes of a lambs tail that if the Govt gets hungery they will rationalize a
'legal' means to confiscate my garden crops. Personally I don't care what who rationalizes.

It's My dirt because I made it, I did make it. It's my plants because i grew them, and with my own labor with no help from any one but my wife. So I get 100% choices over what happens to them.

Anyone taking them is robbing me of money, since i consider what i don't pay for the same as money, and they still shoot robbers. I don't always play well with others either. No where in the CONS does it say I must always play well with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness