Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 AM

3,028 posts, read 4,980,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVan View Post
A friend of mine pushed me a bit to rent a storage space. It's pretty close to "homebase" so I could almost use it like a closet, I think. That will help. I could just stop in every couple of days to switch things out, I guess.
A storage space is good if you aren't planning on moving from city to city. You can keep all your seasonal clothes, bedspreads, etc in there. I would watch though, as the price quickly adds up, and in many cases it's cheaper to sell everything and buy what you need when you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,900,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think he means something about his personal situation is BS, NoName, not the topic of living in a vehicle.
Yes that is correct. The BS is never ending, and it may mean my wife and I live in the woods again starting in winter, or in the van.

Renting can be that way sometimes. If this were shtf times, no one could prove they owned the land IMO , and in that case my little problem would be down the road fer sartin .

Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,099,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yes that is correct. The BS is never ending, and it may mean my wife and I live in the woods again starting in winter, or in the van.

Renting can be that way sometimes. If this were shtf times, no one could prove they owned the land IMO , and in that case my little problem would be down the road fer sartin .
I'd reconsider... Land/property rights are one thing that remains (Although it can be 'taken over' by those with greater force, (Be that vikings or taxes) the chain of custody remains known.

Guy i know, (lives in Texas) owns a nice sized chunk of Germany... his family have owned it going all the way back to the dark ages.

Some 800 years.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM

145 posts, read 176,530 times
Default Storage Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
A storage space is good if you aren't planning on moving from city to city. You can keep all your seasonal clothes, bedspreads, etc in there. I would watch though, as the price quickly adds up, and in many cases it's cheaper to sell everything and buy what you need when you need it.
I agree...the price is why I wasn't so keen on getting one. I got a fairly small one and in it I'm keeping photos... and basics...because it WOULD be rather expensive to start over. And as you mentioned you can keep seasonal clothes, coats, etc in there. I also keep extra purses in there...things like that. I would like to do this for a pretty long time so but in order to do that, it's important I continue to look middle class...if I start looking homeless and shabby my business and work gigs will go away, not to mention I'll probably get depressed.

As always, thanks everyone for your input. Here's my latest blog entry.

Fear and Comfort | Living in my Van

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,124,165 times
It shouldn't cost more than $25 per month after you've paid the deposit, fees, bribes, etc for the first month.

Be aware that if you don't pay on time it won't take them long to break your lock and auction out all your belongings including the photos (they're auctioned in a "mystery" bag of small items). That happened to me, all my pics, clothes etc sold off or dumped.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Woof, don't storage units prices depend on the size? In NH they seem to. I rented a 10 x20 for 10 months, and it was just over 100 bucks a month. During that time, my Bride and I toured what was left of the USA on a motorcycle.

The deal they had was the 1st onth was free, which got sucked up putting our things in the unit. Then I pre-paid the first 90 days, thinking i would do the tour in that time, but it wasn't ment to be.

We moved our stuff out 3 days after the last rent was due, and we paid it, but it was returned to us, which was nice.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 AM

145 posts, read 176,530 times
Default Storage Again and Again

My storage is going to be 70 something bucks a month. It's small too! Ouch! BUT I'm glad to be keeping some things that are meaningful to me and my family and my daughter is helping pay for it since she has some of her professional things in there.

Here's todays blog post. Thanks for commenting Mac and Steph! I really appreciate it.

Last Day in the Condo | Living in my Van

Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM

I sort of consider it a point to try and keep you upbeat a while. I almost placed a pic on the blog to put a face to your pals, but don't know how to make it a thumbnail off photobuckets and so waited, since you may not want a great big image.

On the other hand maybe i should, so you can have a pic of beef cake to take off the edge, or to show the cops what your pals look like! Hmmmmmmm

How about this one?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,742,413 times
Quote:
Back from the weekend, getting ready for the next..... The BS is never ending i guess. Uncertain what I might do about this one still. Not realy a typical survival topic.
Mac I'd like to hear it and if you haven't written a book yet. . . well I wish you would.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,124,165 times
Quote:
Woof, don't storage units prices depend on the size? In NH they seem to. I rented a 10 x20 for 10 months, and it was just over 100 bucks a month. During that time, my Bride and I toured what was left of the USA on a motorcycle.

The deal they had was the 1st onth was free, which got sucked up putting our things in the unit. Then I pre-paid the first 90 days, thinking i would do the tour in that time, but it wasn't ment to be.

We moved our stuff out 3 days after the last rent was due, and we paid it, but it was returned to us, which was nice.
Well, they sure have gone up in price since I last used one. What I had was a 5x5, but it was much taller than me, maybe 10 ft high, and could store large amounts of stuff (though big pieces of furniture would have been difficult). At that time I was on foot living in a tent, I didn't have a van, and the space was more than enough for my few possessions. Storage Locations - Find the Closest Public Storage Unit or Facility Near You

Now it's $56 per month. But some places have micro-storage that is even less than that (other companies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness