U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 PM

6,640 posts, read 6,204,863 times
The similarities between your life and way of thinking, and mine, are very ....... odd.

East Oregon or Northern California are best for van living, since they have the same kind of worldview and are dryer than further north (dry is better for living in a van, less rust and mold).

You can find farms in those areas (or anywhere) here: http://www.localharvest.org/search.j...&nm=&zip=97701
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 PM

212 posts, read 145,139 times
you need not conceal it completely, in many areas, but it can be done, if need be, with camo nets, digging a slot back into a hillside for the van, etc. Get a Bureau of Land management map, man. they have literally a MILLION square miles of land out west, plenty of it is very nice camping ground, indeed. For $100 per year, you can have the same rights as a landowner, on 20 acres. Get one site up north for the summer and one near the Mex border for the winter, and your temperature problems will be small, and fixable with solar power/insulation.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:09 PM

$100 for what, wittic? Mining rights? Grazing?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM

25 posts, read 10,992 times
Thanx for the links Woof/MyVan, I'll bookmark them and have them handy. I've been reading the BLM website and it looks like there is SOMEWHERE to go and stay put for a while. I wish I could leave tonight! I can't wait to spend some time between San Simeon and Big Sur. That area of the country gives me a "recharge". I used to dip up there from LA when I lived in SoCal and always hated leaving. Now, they'll have to (and more than likely will) kick me out! lol. I always thought it was quite unfair that other people get to live there and not me. I'm too excited! My living situation right now is incredibly frustrating and the thought of just walking away from it right now is too enticing. I'll be fighting that urge every time I look for more information and plan my supplies and trip. But hey, at least I got that. Something to do now, and a plan for getting out of this situation soon. I hate having roommates. Especially these ones. Nothing ruins a friendship quite like having them live with you.

Alright. Got to vent a little.

I'll be spending this lonely holiday season hunched over my computer trying to devise a plan and picking out the necessities. I'll probably put it all together as a plan and post it here for a professional critique. Thank you all again!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM

212 posts, read 145,139 times
grazing rights cost less, but are worth a lot less, too, in my book, at least. $100 is the mining claim, and if you don't move each year to another 20 acres (ie, less than 1/4 mile, next year, move BACK) :-) you have to pay not only another $100, but also make $100 worth of "improvement" on your claim. If you don't want some nosy inspector checking out your "improvements", just move a little ways.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
grazing rights cost less, but are worth a lot less, too, in my book, at least. $100 is the mining claim, and if you don't move each year to another 20 acres (ie, less than 1/4 mile, next year, move BACK) :-) you have to pay not only another $100, but also make $100 worth of "improvement" on your claim. If you don't want some nosy inspector checking out your "improvements", just move a little ways.
@wittic. Do you have a link for any of that information? I am intrigued.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:25 PM

141 posts, read 79,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandidact View Post
@wittic. Do you have a link for any of that information? I am intrigued.
I know....seriously!

Also, I've officially started a new outreach tonite. I'm giving away my first of many (I hope) sleeping bags to homeless folks. It's been on my mind for a while. My friends have some sleeping bags in their garage that aren't getting used. My plan is to get more donations like this and just give them away when I find people in need. I don't need anyone to send money so no one has to worry that that their donation is not being used properly.

Do you think I could get (wealthy? or middle-class?) people to send me their old sleeping bags to give to homeless people?

I was thinking I could advertise on Craigslist too. Ideas welcome!

http://livinginmyvan.com/sleeping-bag-number-1/

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 PM

That's a good idea. If you are in Orange County, there are plenty of wealthy people. They are so wealthy that they cannot even be bothered to drive their unwanted items to donate them directly. Of the top of my head, after craigslist, is to go to these "gated communities" and try to set up a meet with the homeowners association. If you can present them with the idea, it could make their community look good and keep direct solicitation out of it (they sure hate to be bothered). If you did that, say bi-monthly, you could ask for sleeping bags for the first drive, then perhaps other camping gear the following, and so on. People could get behind something so simple and organised, like recycling. I say go for it.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 PM

Oh. One more thing to ask to anyone who can answer. I have a solar panel on the roof of my G20 Explorer Edition Van that charges the battery. What I would like to do is add another battery and a larger solar panel to expand my power capacity for a laptop or small television. Would I be better off adding to the existing solar set-up, or installing a separate one? I planned on upgrading the existing panel anyway with newer tech, so I was thinking I could just go larger on the panel and daisy-chain some batteries (2 or 3 extra). Then I suppose with an inverter I could then use AC electronics. Flaws? How much usable power could I generate with, say, a 4x4 panel set up? I know using high-wattage items like coffee makers and microwaves are probably out of the question, but what about charging a laptop or running a 19" LCD monitor and stereo? I'll of course be looking for answers everywhere, but I wanted to hear something from someone with experience. Thanx!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:51 PM

I'd get a deep cycle battery for that extra load, Vandidact. If you park overnight and use it for laptop, fan, cell phone charging etc with a regular van battery, it wears it down quickly. If you store the energy (either solar or from your alternator) in a deep cycle battery such as marine or golf cart, it can handle being deeply discharged and recharged every day, and so lasts much longer.

Sears used to make some sort of hybrid that both had the power to start the engine, and also had the ability to handle deep cycles, so that you wouldn't need an extra battery.

I recommend watching TV and movies (perhaps free ones from a library) on your laptop. I got rid of my TV, too much dead weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness