Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 AM

5,361 posts, read 3,539,405 times

Advertisements

has anyone considered this? I don't know about America but in the UK TPTB(if they still exist after TSHTF that is) have plans to prioritise ALL motorways and major highways(most A roads) as "priority routes" for use by military and emergency vehicles only and all civilian traffic will be BANNED, that also includes cyclists and walkers. if anyone wants to travel they will have to find alternative routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 05:49 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,428,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
has anyone considered this? I don't know about America but in the UK TPTB(if they still exist after TSHTF that is) have plans to prioritise ALL motorways and major highways(most A roads) as "priority routes" for use by military and emergency vehicles only and all civilian traffic will be BANNED, that also includes cyclists and walkers. if anyone wants to travel they will have to find alternative routes.
Whaaaatt...?? The UK powerz are actually making plans for SHTF? The naysayers on this forum just expended all their energies trying to convince us all that such things can't happen!

As for alternative routes, the state of Maine (where we live) has a state-wide network of ATV and snowmobile trails that can take you most anywhere. If our family in Rhode Island wants to get up here, I have a little fishing boat I can take a short way down the New England coast to pick 'em up!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,137 times
The US interstate system was started by president Eisenhower. He was the ultimate WWII European commander and 5 star general during WWII. The big fear he had after WWII was that the military could not get from one coast to the other coast efficiently so he started the Interstate system using Defense money for 50% of the cost. One of the requirements was that there needed to be a continuous fence the total length of the system that would only allow access from the entrance and exit ramps. The idea was to close all excess points to the Interstate so that the military (or any other government agency) could go unimpeded at high speeds to their destinations. Where I live most of the excess points have gates installed so that closing the Interstate would be simple and would not require any one to stand guard.

I do think that in an emergency situation the continuous Interstate system could be closed down to civilians.

Here's something that most don't know, most airports are funded by the military and on my hangar lease it states that in a time of emergency I can be removed from my hangar so the military can use it.

So in a SHTF scenario the military would control the Interstates and the airports with a stroke of a pen.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Whaaaatt...?? The UK powerz are actually making plans for SHTF? The naysayers on this forum just expended all their energies trying to convince us all that such things can't happen!
given our calibre of politicians these days I doubt they'll realise these plans ever existed. they were formulated back in the 1980s and are part of the then "civil defence" something that really dosent exist any more, the plans are probably gathering dust in a basement in Westminster somewhere, and as our current politicians were still in short pants back then they probably have no knowledge of such things, it probably only exists in the minds of older survivalists like me(reference: "War Plan UK" by Duncan Campbell isbn 0091506719)

Old 08-14-2015, 08:10 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,383,824 times
Speaking of interstates and airports, here's a piece of trivia if I recall it correctly.

One of the Interstate design requirements is that 1 mile in every 5 has to be straight with nothing overhead. This, coupled with the required lane widths (including shoulders, it's 38') makes it such that the military can use those parts of the Interstates as runways. During the cold war, the Soviet Union knew and could target every military & civilian airports. If needed, the military would move their aircraft onto the interstates. With over 40,000 miles of Interstates, the Ruskies would have a real hard time finding our aircraft.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM

6,741 posts, read 8,502,920 times
Ike was hugely impressed by Hitler's Autobahn for moving troops rapidly, which is why he instituted the Interstate system.

That said, there is only one Interstate highway, (I-90) that runs through my state. All other roads here are state highways, usually small 2 lane roads, and a lot of our road system is gravel roads. Add to that the fact that except through the mountain passes, a lot of my area already has logging roads, farm access roads, 2-track game trails that could be used covertly, and in the winter when the snow lays and the lakes freeze over, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, even horses or snowshoes/skis can be used to get just about anywhere cross country.

In a SHTF situation, it wouldn't be hard for us to move around even if I-90 were closed.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Ike was hugely impressed by Hitler's Autobahn for moving troops rapidly, which is why he instituted the Interstate system.

That said, there is only one Interstate highway, (I-90) that runs through my state. All other roads here are state highways, usually small 2 lane roads, and a lot of our road system is gravel roads. Add to that the fact that except through the mountain passes, a lot of my area already has logging roads, farm access roads, 2-track game trails that could be used covertly, and in the winter when the snow lays and the lakes freeze over, snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, even horses or snowshoes/skis can be used to get just about anywhere cross country.

I a SHTF situation, it wouldn't be hard for us to move around even if I-90 were closed.
I don't use motorways at any time, being 30 miles from the end of the motorway system I have no need to. generally even now I use unclassified back country roads and post SHTF will also use cycle and bridle paths.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:15 PM

6,741 posts, read 8,502,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swikeez View Post
yeah, right, like nobody's got NVD goggles and a wire cutter, right? :-) i"ll go where I want. Some places I might go more slowly, and no matter where, I'll go only at night and only with mountainbike or off road motorycycle.). Some places I'll get off the main drag and go off road, Some places, I might have to stop short, sneak up and silently shoot a few people. So what?
Did you have to change your name again Gunkid?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,383,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swikeez View Post
yeah, right, like nobody's got NVD goggles and a wire cutter, right? :-) i"ll go where I want. Some places I might go more slowly, and no matter where, I'll go only at night and only with mountainbike or off road motorycycle.). Some places I'll get off the main drag and go off road, Some places, I might have to stop short, sneak up and silently shoot a few people. So what?
This I'd like to see. The military takes over a section of the interstate for their use and you really think you can (or want) to get inside their perimeter?

Tell you what, go to your closest military base. First, sneak onto the base. Then try to sneak into a controlled area, like the ammo depot or a flight line at night. If you do survive, and ever get on the internet again, let us know how many years in prison you got.

As a former member of the USMC and sentry for both of those controlled areas I mentioned, I can assure you, your ass would be mine, dead or alive, my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Did you have to change your name again Gunkid?
LOL

Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,374,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
Same setup for telephone cellular and wireline , and internet access. Government priority access is built into these systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness