Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM

25,667 posts, read 18,758,270 times

Advertisements

I'm mainly looking at this from a easy maintenance, simple/reliable design POV. Nothing really wrong with semi-autos (assuming they are designed well), but in the long run and/or from a perspective that you may be the only "gunsmith" around to take care of your weapon, a simple design is good thing. Keep it simple.

As for a revolver... I'll take that any day if I had a choice of only one handgun. Even a complete dullard can easily understand the inner workings of a revolver. Not to mention what somebody else said: they typically don't ever jam and if a round doesn't go off (dud), you just pull the trigger again and... bang...

As for shotguns, here is one such good, simple design: mossberg 500 (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&section=products - broken link)

Again, I'm not bashing semi-autos. I have a couple. But I'd prefer the simple design every time given an either or choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,269,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm mainly looking at this from a easy maintenance, simple/reliable design POV. Nothing really wrong with semi-autos (assuming they are designed well), but in the long run and/or from a perspective that you may be the only "gunsmith" around to take care of your weapon, a simple design is good thing. Keep it simple.
Agreed, which of often why I recommend Semi-Auto's over revolvers

The reason being... You don't need to re-time a semi-auto, you do need to (on occasion) re-time a revolver, when the cylinder is not accurately enough aligning with the forcing cone, or not locking the cylinder, because the travel is too short, or too long for the cylinder lock to engage.

If you take common consumable parts, a semi needs more or less a combination of a bunch of springs, bolts and pins (including a firing pin/striker). You detail strip, replace the worn parts and reassemble.

A revolvers common consumable parts needs springs, bolts, pins, and at least one hand/pawl (in reality more, you may need an oversized hand too!). you detail strip, replace worn parts the need some skill to fit the hand (or pawl) to the cylinder to get it timed correctly (or a few "spare" hands/pawls so you can screw 'em up until you get it right, and tools for the pads). It's not a thing that's align one chamber and the rest follow either, you really need to do it for every chamber in the cylinder.

As far as gunsmithing is concerned they take exactly the same skill to disassemble and reassemble, except for that timing, if it's needed, which is certainly one of the more advanced aspects of maintenance gunsmithing, and in general better left to professionals, getting it badly wrong could result in the round jamming in the forcing cone/cylinder/frame seam (at worst case this can cause a Ka-Boom!). However if you're going to be your own gunsmith, then you should know how to re-time a revolver.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
A revolvers common consumable parts needs springs, bolts, pins, and at least one hand/pawl (in reality more, you may need an oversized hand too!). you detail strip, replace worn parts the need some skill to fit the hand (or pawl) to the cylinder to get it timed correctly (or a few "spare" hands/pawls so you can screw 'em up until you get it right, and tools for the pads). It's not a thing that's align one chamber and the rest follow either, you really need to do it for every chamber in the cylinder.

As far as gunsmithing is concerned they take exactly the same skill to disassemble and reassemble, except for that timing, if it's needed, which is certainly one of the more advanced aspects of maintenance gunsmithing, and in general better left to professionals, getting it badly wrong could result in the round jamming in the forcing cone/cylinder/frame seam (at worst case this can cause a Ka-Boom!). However if you're going to be your own gunsmith, then you should know how to re-time a revolver.
Interesting. I've never owned a revolver. Often wondered, but never gave much detailed though to how intricate the timing was on revolvers such that the cylinder has to aligned with the barrel 'just right.'

Is that something you only have to worry about after a few thousands rounds of ammo have been shot, before it becomes an issue, as the pawl or ratchet gradually wear down from use?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,269,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Is that something you only have to worry about after a few thousands rounds of ammo have been shot, before it becomes an issue?
As with all things, it depends...

Some firearms have had issues out of the box new, others have had issues after a few hundred rounds. Most commonly issues happen with people swinging the cylinder closed "P.I. style" with a wrist flick (not to mention the risk of bending the crane and hand).

If the revolver is taken care of then it "shouldn't" need any adjustments for a few thousand rounds or so (which could be six months of use at the range easily), of course "shouldn't" is a vague term, because there are manufacturing tolerances/defects, and environmental issues than need to be considered in more dusty environments (deserts for example) this is likely to come down from higher levels of abrasion. Of course there are people who've put 50k rounds or more through their revolver and never needed a timing adjustment. However you can pretty much guarantee from Murphy's law that this will not be you.

Thing is most people just don't check their timing (a lot of casual gun owners don't even know about it, how to, and what to check), so it's difficult to know how long it took to have a problem until it became serious enough to notice (like having 5 shots on target and a flyer that isn't user error). However the mechanisms will break and wear (there is no debating this), which will affect the functionality, as can dirt or debris in the action.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,188,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I'm going to buy a shotgun and a pistol. Any suggestions ? Ex-hubs took all weapons when I kicked him out, so now I need to buy something. I really like the Kimber Solo 9mm, and the Sig Sauer P290 9 mil, as for the shotgun, I was thinking just a 12 gauge will do, I kind of like the short barrel, is that good for home defense, ya think ?

I will probably start with the shotgun (cause the pistols I like are expensive) and work my way up. So if you have any other suggestions that I haven't thought of please feel free to tell me...thank you, thank you.

easy to operate and easy to use. a glock for a pistol and a remington 870 or mossberg 500. the glock works great right out of the box and needs no mods and the pump action shotgun is a good deterrent.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,396,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think it needs to be what you can handle the best. Some women can handle a 12 ga. just fine and others perfer a 20. That said, it is easier to find self-defense loads for a 12 ga. I like the Remington 870 over the semi-autos. See if you can find a Wingmaster in the Jr. size instead of the youth if you are small to average build as the LOP (length of pull) will likely be closer to what you need. Unless you are tall with long arms most likely you will need the stock cut down to fit properly.

As to handgun, I'm a fan of the G26 in 9mm, the G30 in .45acp, or the classic 1911.
Oh yes, I like the G30 1911. Very nice. I do prefer the 12 gauge though, its easy for me. Thank you, I'm a little rusty, so this really helps.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Maybe you should clarify here...do you mean "home" defense, or "property" defense? Do you want to save your own/family's skins, or protect your house, vehicles, property, food storage, etc?

This does make a difference. What works inside the house (close quarters) and what works outdoors (greater distances) can be two different things. For inside only (to scare away intruders), your idea of a shotgun and a pistol in the 9mm range is fine. Once you step out the door, all that can change.

I've argued this before with many -- 9mm simply lacks the stopping power of say, .45 ACP, or .357 magnum in a revolver. These handguns are no more difficult to shoot than the 9mm. While I would not want to be shot with a 9mm, somebody who's stoned drunk or flying high on drugs will hardly feel it. Which type do you think would break into your house?

As for shotguns, I agree that a pump action is not only more affordable but simpler to use. I disagree that women cannot shoot 12 gauge, and should only consider 20 gauge. 12 gauge has better loads available. My wife can shoot 12 gauge all day long (5'-4", 135 lbs) with no bruising at all to her arm. As for me (6'-2", 230 lbs), the same guns can send me axe over teakettle. It's all in learning to hold it correctly; so many are "afraid" to really push it into the shoulder muscle. It will NOT hurt if done that way.

With any long gun, many women need to have the stock cut down. My wife needs a 12-1/2" length of pull, and when guys use her guns, they find that they LIKE the size! I think too many firearms come with too-big stocks, period. On the subject of long arms, I think that your "arsenal" (?) would not be complete without a good bolt-action rifle, with a scope. Something in the .318, 30-30, or 30'06 range, depending on what is most popular in your area. You want to stick to the calibers that you have the best of chance finding locally, in a crisis or emergency situation.

Happy hunting! (Pun fully intended).
Thank you NE, you bring up a lot of good points. I'm mostly looking to protect family and home. I don't care so much about the vehicles or anything outside really. My city is still relatively safe but have noticed a change in the last yr or two and I don't like it, so, I just want to make sure I'm prepared for anything. Like your wife I can fire a 12 gauge with no problem. You really think I need a rifle with a scope ( will have to think about that)? Will also think about difference in stopping power of 9mm vs 357 or 45. Thank's for your help.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You sound like a big tough women so buy yourself a 10 gage shotgun and a.50 caliber auto and be done with it. From the attitude expressed in your post only hand cannons will do.
I don't know about being "big & tough," but I definitely know how to handle a weapon, and I want reliable fire power. Hand cannons...hmm...I think a 44 Desert Eagle is a hand cannon, but not a little 9mil.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
A good flashlight, and a shotgun are good starters, but have you also considered an alarm, especially one where you can arm it for the exterior, but leave the inside off? This would give you an early warning system. Getting a dog (like a German shepard) is also a good idea.
Yep, got the mag lite, three dogs, and an alarm. I just need a good weapon now.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Semi-auto shotguns can mis-feed, so I'd stick with a pump, either 12 or 20 gauge. A short barrelled tactical type of gun is ideal for home defense. Same problem with handguns, so a good medium framed .357 revolver is ideal IMO.

Be sure to learn how to use them and safely handle them.
Yes, I agree, I like the short barrel tactical type as well. About 20 years ago I read a book by Paxton Quigley that changed my perspective on owning a gun. Since then I have handled many, many different types of weapons, I'm no amateur. Thank's so much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness