Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Hmmm... I'm an omnivore, which means I'll eat durn near anything.
I like to grow what I eat, so I know what went into it. Vegies, eggs, chickens, and mmmmm COW.
Bunnies, squirrel, deer, fish, crawdads, crabs - all wildkill are on the menu.
One Chinese restaurant in Columbus OH I frequented was often shut down by the Health Department, so I know I've eaten cat, too.
If I could figure out how to grow lobsters, shrimp, mussels, and salmon in the dry hills of Nebraska, by golly, they'd be on the menu too!
Lewis and Clark (yeah the explorers) frequently ate dog on their expedition and by the end of the trip the majority of their party felt dog was a vastly superior food choice to that of venison or bison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Now, now, I'm not suggesting anything...what I said was, IF I had a farm my animals would be pets, I'm unique that way. As long as things are good I will continue to remain a vegan and a raw foodist...ooh. While continuing to stockpile my dehydrated and canned goods (yes, from my own garden). I also have flash frozen fish and chicken ( son, mom & dogs are not vegans) and homemade fish and turkey jerky, oh, and about 40+lbs of raw nuts. But, if the time ever comes where I need to eat meat to survive than I will eat it IF its available.
Nice ta' know the kids, and mom aren't on the menu. ;D

Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lewis and Clark (yeah the explorers) frequently ate dog on their expedition and by the end of the trip the majority of their party felt dog was a vastly superior food choice to that of venison or bison.
Eww. Personally, from what I have eaten so far in my life, I've found herbivires in general to taste better than carnivores. A couple of exceptions being chicken and pork. But I suppose they are omnivores who mostly eat plant material. This only applies to the warm-blooded creatures I have tasted. When it comes to fish and other sea creatures, well...a lot of them are pretty darn tasty!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Perhaps they ate other's dogs but they didn't eat their own Newfoundland, Seaman.

Now.......is this Doomsday Preppers going to re-run? I haven't been able to find it.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Now.......is this Doomsday Preppers going to re-run? I haven't been able to find it.
On YouTube in four parts:

‪doomsday preppers‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Thanks!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Don't take this the wrong way, just poking fun at the pics.

What's in the back of Scott Hunts truck looks more like a modern day still than something to run it off of.

And Dennis McClung is storing half gallon cans of tune and gallon cans of spinach. I hope he has lots of toilet paper cause if he eats that much of tuna and spinach he will need it.

I had several restaurants and can tell you that most of that food will go to waste after opening if he's not feeding a small army. He would be much better off stocking small cans or even freeze dried food.

busta

Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I'm thinking of starting my own prepping web-site for single working mothers and others on limited resources who manage to survive every day by the skin of their teeth.

Tired of seeing people with unlimited resources and "McMansion" retreats offered up as the standard for survival.

I've survived things in life that would leave these yuppie, wealthy, hobby preppers shaking in their shoes.

Survivers? Meh, see ya on the way down slick ...

Old 07-13-2011, 09:09 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I'm thinking of starting my own prepping web-site for single working mothers and others on limited resources who manage to survive every day by the skin of their teeth.

Tired of seeing people with unlimited resources and "McMansion" retreats offered up as the standard for survival.

I've survived things in life that would leave these yuppie, wealthy, hobby preppers shaking in their shoes.

Survivers? Meh, see ya on the way down slick ...

I would be interested in a site like that. As a single mom I want to learn whatever I can as far as prepping goes...since I'm doing it all on my own. You should do it.

Last edited by tkdmom; 07-13-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nice ta' know the kids, and mom aren't on the menu. ;D
Hey, I wouldn't put it past some folks to go there. Me, I would gladly starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness