Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times

Advertisements

I look at it this way - lots of NR people will tell you that you can't have a certain species of insect or animal in your area - even if you are talking to them on a cel phone standing on it after you've killed it.
They told us there were no panthers in SC - there was one living in our woods and all the neighbors saw it. You could even track it for awhile.
They told us there were no coyotes in SC - but we used to see them regulrly n our woods. One came up and watched me laying in a hammock in the back yard.
My son says that those big desert spiders he used to see in Kuwait have now been introduced into the desert around where he lives in Las Vegas. (No, he didn't do it.) Anything can travel - in a backpack, in a duffel, in a pair of shoes; on a boat, on a plane, in a truck. Whether it survives thru several weather changes is a matter of debate... I probably won't see an alligator in the freshwater rivers here, because they don't like cold. Still, they are reptiles and very hardy survivors, so who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 PM

373 posts, read 635,338 times
Default The Big Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I look at it this way - lots of NR people will tell you that you can't have a certain species of insect or animal in your area - even if you are talking to them on a cel phone standing on it after you've killed it.
They told us there were no panthers in SC - there was one living in our woods and all the neighbors saw it. You could even track it for awhile.
They told us there were no coyotes in SC - but we used to see them regulrly n our woods. One came up and watched me laying in a hammock in the back yard.
My son says that those big desert spiders he used to see in Kuwait have now been introduced into the desert around where he lives in Las Vegas. (No, he didn't do it.) Anything can travel - in a backpack, in a duffel, in a pair of shoes; on a boat, on a plane, in a truck. Whether it survives thru several weather changes is a matter of debate... I probably won't see an alligator in the freshwater rivers here, because they don't like cold. Still, they are reptiles and very hardy survivors, so who knows...
The big cats are getting thier territory back thanks to an expanding deer population. It is amazing what can happen on the ground where people don't believe what others see in plain sight.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
NH says there are no big cats too, but first I found tracks in fresh snow, then my elderly neighbor called me to get a cat off his enclosed porch. I thought he mean a ferral cat, since summer peoiple come and leave pets abandoned in rural places.

I walked into the dark porch as if I owned it, and was stunned to see a cat 9 feet long counting the tail. I backed up pretty quick, not being armed that time. The old man was laughin his ass off lookin at me out his window. I went home in my truck grabbed up my 30-30 and went back, but the cat was gone. Good thing for the both of us. That place is 6 miles south as the crow flies, up in the volcano.

Tabby, Another time and place working at a B&B as Mr Fix It, which was anything from driving teams, to new construction, the day came where 37 chickens were killed by 2 bear. Little kids were around every weekend from Friday evening to Sunday late afternoon.

I called F&G and they refused to come out for raccoons. The next Saturday morning and the rest of the chickens were killed, Again I called, and again I was mostly refused. F&G came and put up a electric fence for the turkeys. They still claimed it was raccoons.

The next Saturday came and it rained over night. I threatened F&G with I would shoot the raccoons. I place milk crates on many bear tracks, and when the officer looked he made claim to bears, since I had momma bear and baby bear tracks under the crates.

I just rollled my eyes and said DUH. So F&G brought out a culvert pipe trap and caught the baby bear. The next Friday night I stayed at work late, and was saddeled up with a big mag light and my .44 mag, on a really stupid, but very fast horse. I chased that bear up over Tyrell Mountain, dustin' it heels, and never did see that bear again. Dustin' if you don't know, is shooting to a near miss, and hitting the object with bits of rock and dirt. I just have no idea who would know the term.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
There's catamounts in Vermont too, but the official line is always a denial...

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
OT: Critters and survival.

Non hunters and city folk, liberals and such, always seem to think nature is great and nothing bad happens. The have the idea nothing dies hard, and when any ctitters do die it's always on a big clump of cool moss and the critter just 'goes to sleep'.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have killed a lot of critters wounded in the trash by city folk, that shoot too light a load from some gun, in order to discouage garbage raiders.

I once killed a fox that was almost hairless and dripping some slime everywhere it went, and where it went was into a horse barn, and right up the stiar case onto the 600 bales of feed hay!

I was terrified going up this stairs with my rifle. The bullet was a far faster kinder death, once I located that fox. Then I had to find every bit of that slime and burn it with the very clothing I was wearing.

And here new Robins are hatched out, and all over the place, less each day since there is a fox here too.

And Miss City Slick was in a fit over the snake eatting the toad. She wanted me to interfear, and stop this act of nature. In order to live, something else must die. This is how nature works.

Vegans Kill..... They kill plants. In the doing they kill all sorts of smaller life that goes missed.

If there is Guilt, no one is guilt free. I have no guilt because I understand nature.

On Edit: I forgot a Spring Killed wood chuck. I shot that chuck out of a pasture for horses, since holes in the ground and caving in other parts of holes tend to break horses legs. This one chuck, had it's own upper 2 front teeth, grow down into and thru the lower jaw, and turn up to pierce it's own sinus caviety, and the teeth were in the act of turning down again ready to pass thru the skull over the upper jaw again.

There was infection raging, and no way for this critter to eat. This is how nature deals death, slow and painfull.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 07-13-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I caught a hairless possum last Fall--I think I did it a favor killing it before it got any colder. Some beavers I never got around to trapping starved to death over the winter, there simply wasn't any food left (too many beavers in the area, not enough trees).

Nature is great, but it's not how Disney portrays it either.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Folks want to believe that we're not animals, or at least above our animal natures, and can play outside the natural order of things

I'm one tree-hugging, bunny-kissing tender heart... but I will dang-sure kill an animal in order to survive or to put it out of it's misery. I let my dog hunt the wild hares on our property, I just make sure she knows she has to eat what she kills and not just do it for fun. Same thing with my cat and the shrews. If a wild animals gets at my domestic animals or garden... means I haven't done my job properly, not that the animal is "evil". And that goes double when a domestic animal gets one of our other domestic animals, or breaks out and raids the garden... they might become dinner ahead of schedule, but they're only doing what animals do.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
I don't think most wild animals are evil (there are exceptions) most kill for food, not sport.
However, I do think that many humans are evil. Folks usually disparage me when I say it. I worked with the mentally deficient, the emotionally confused, the abused, the physically compromised... and I have also seen pure evil, and I do mean pure evil. It exists, I can spot it right away, and it is becoming more and more prevalent. You can say, "Oh, that's psychopathic, sociopathic behavior, it just means that they're ill." No, what it means is that they are evil; soulless, mindless creatures that will torture, abuse, and/or kill for profit, for power, and even just for the pure pleasure of doing it. I call them humanimals because they are driven, not by love, not by frustration, not by hunger, not by fear, not by revenge or hatred, but by a sheer lust to force their will upon others and to destroy all that is in front of them. Like a rabid wolf, dog, or cat, you must dispatch them swiftly and surely. If you allow them to exist, you allow them to perpetrate their horrors on still more people.

The main reason we are in the country is that we have looked in the faces of pure unadulterated evil - and in the cities and highy populated areas there are more of them, and they are pitied and psychoanalyzed and catered to, and thus lovingly encouraged by the ones we call 'the simps' - the simpletons - to perpetrate their evil upon more and more people. Some are people walking down the streets, some are people with nothing jobs and unremarkable lives - and some have badges and guns, while some sit behind desks and benches, dictating policy and preaching their politics of evil to a limp-minded, eager-to-please-and-agree public. When it all goes bad - their true colors will be flying high and wild, and no one will even try to stop them, because they don't know how, or because they have been taught to respect and fear them.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
My dog will hunt/chase for pure pleasure... but she knows if she kills for pleasure, that's a no-no. Even before I ever gave her the first reprimand, she whined and low-crawled after accidentally killing something while she was playing as a puppy. I use dogs as my default example, because canids are historically/biologically more likely to hunt/chase for sport than most other animals (primates exempted) because it's training/honing survival skills, but they don't usually intentionally kill for sport.

Primates, humans included, are consistently more likely to engage in pleasure killing. I think this is a quirk of the problem-solving, tool-using brain. The ability to foresee and anticipate possible hardship mutates into something destructive... the positive feedback loop gets warped. If killing your enemy feels good (because you successfully survived), then killing anything that might ever possibly be an enemy feels even better. Imposing your will on everything is an addictive rush once the feedback loop gets fried and the negative feedback of conscience or ramification/reprimand is lost.

Do I think psycho/sociopaths are mentally ill? Yes. Do I think that this is more a case of nurture vs. nature? Mostly, but we are predisposed by our nature. Do I think we need to be spending time to treat and cure them? Absolutely f-ing not... the risk is too great and the reward too small. They are consummate manipulators, it's part of their disease... just as a rabid dog will seek affection and bite it's owner's hand. They should be put down as quickly and humanely as possible.

All animals, humans included, are biologically hardwired with a "me and mine first" survival drive. The human brain can rationalize with that imperative to form larger cooperative communities than most other animals can; but when that fails it fails gloriously. My theory is that the increase in psycho/sociopathic behaviors we're seeing now is because we're trying to maintain too large a community to remain cooperative. This "evil" is a survival response to over-population, over-crowding, and over-civilization... and we're breeding our own.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 AM

373 posts, read 635,338 times
Default Many Genuine Social Facts Omitted in Social Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I don't think most wild animals are evil (there are exceptions) most kill for food, not sport.
However, I do think that many humans are evil. Folks usually disparage me when I say it. I worked with the mentally deficient, the emotionally confused, the abused, the physically compromised... and I have also seen pure evil, and I do mean pure evil. It exists, I can spot it right away, and it is becoming more and more prevalent. You can say, "Oh, that's psychopathic, sociopathic behavior, it just means that they're ill." No, what it means is that they are evil; soulless, mindless creatures that will torture, abuse, and/or kill for profit, for power, and even just for the pure pleasure of doing it. I call them humanimals because they are driven, not by love, not by frustration, not by hunger, not by fear, not by revenge or hatred, but by a sheer lust to force their will upon others and to destroy all that is in front of them. Like a rabid wolf, dog, or cat, you must dispatch them swiftly and surely. If you allow them to exist, you allow them to perpetrate their horrors on still more people.

The main reason we are in the country is that we have looked in the faces of pure unadulterated evil - and in the cities and highy populated areas there are more of them, and they are pitied and psychoanalyzed and catered to, and thus lovingly encouraged by the ones we call 'the simps' - the simpletons - to perpetrate their evil upon more and more people. Some are people walking down the streets, some are people with nothing jobs and unremarkable lives - and some have badges and guns, while some sit behind desks and benches, dictating policy and preaching their politics of evil to a limp-minded, eager-to-please-and-agree public. When it all goes bad - their true colors will be flying high and wild, and no one will even try to stop them, because they don't know how, or because they have been taught to respect and fear them.

I think of them a Pets and Stooges, who believe they are protected by the system or even think they are the system. Wonder how much it could turn into the Break Up of Yugoslavia or a back to the future when people really do learn to fight back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness