U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,273,325 times

Advertisements

I am very torn. I own a home and it keeps going down in value so I want to sell, not to mention the fact I hate the new next door neighbor. At the same time, it's a roof over my head and in a safe neighborhood that is paid for.

I really dislike this city and have zero support system. I am not working. Buying a place in the wilderness is out since I'm a single woman (and not young) and I don't like guns. My two small dogs and cat are not much protection.

Half of me says it's expensive to relocate and don't spend the money. The other half of me says I'm miserable in this town and would be suited better elsewhere. I know the general rule is to rent for at least a few months to get to know the area but I am afraid to make another colossal mistake like the one I did in moving here. I have just checked out of this town completely on every level except for the fact I own a house.

Any thoughts are appreciated. FWIW, I am extremely conservative and sitting in cash. I don't want to deplete what I have by relocating yet have no quality of life here. BTW, I do believe the proverbial S is going to hit the fan and we're not far off. What should I do? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 AM

9,321 posts, read 15,715,301 times
Are you unemployed, retired, or what?

Is there a support system somewhere else?

Moving is not going to do anything about butt head neighbors. You might actually get one that is worse.

What do you expect to gain? What do you consider to be quality of life?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 AM

756 posts, read 792,939 times
Default Where to move

First - pray for guidance. Then, vacation there. Drive around, eat at small neighborhood places (look for cop cars, dump truck and 18 wheelers). Check out the economics of the area you are interested in. After you have narrowed it down to a few places, rent for a while.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are you unemployed, retired, or what?

Is there a support system somewhere else?

Moving is not going to do anything about butt head neighbors. You might actually get one that is worse.

What do you expect to gain? What do you consider to be quality of life?
Unemployed, no, this neighbor is pretty bad, I expect to gain a feeling of being in an element that suits me. I am in whackadoodle land right now and politics matter. Quality of life to me means having a reason to get up in the morning and a plan and some optimism for the future.

Unfortunately, given the state of the nation, maybe there is no reason for anyone to be optimistic and maybe this is the "new normal." I think the super rich aren't too upset though. They can afford the gated communities and armed guards.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
First - pray for guidance. Then, vacation there. Drive around, eat at small neighborhood places (look for cop cars, dump truck and 18 wheelers). Check out the economics of the area you are interested in. After you have narrowed it down to a few places, rent for a while.
Thanks, but must ask - why should I look for cop cars and 18 wheelers and dump trucks?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,320,175 times
Need more info that that to help. But the value of a house that is paid for should be measured in terms of it's condition not what some poly tic, who can't drive a nail straight says it is worth.

The bubble Bill Clinton created wasn't real, and that bubble peaked in 2004.

A tar paper shanty un-fit for chickes became a property of value, so the tax rate could drop, but then the increased plastic value was added.

An example is a camp vauled in the real world at 33,000 by pen stroke became worth 165,000.

A dollar or 2 difference in a dropped tax rate was meaning less.

Rural life means hard work, farming and the rest that go with that are all hard labor. When you get done doing what ever regular work is there is lawns to mowe, fields to mow, gardens to weed, fire wood to be cut, and the labor of each season.

You either learn to love that life style or you hate it. It has nothing to do with guns, except maybe you c an walk a few steps to shoot them, instead of pack up the gun and drive to a range and pay fees to be a memeber or hust be there.

Rural people may tend to hunt more, but I don't know that for sure.

A gun in the city for selfdefence and or home defence makes more sence in this age of lawlwessness and the Liberal ideas of so called Justice. In the rural parts we fish that way, and call it Catch and Release. The only difference is the trout have nev er murdered anyone.

Moving is a risk, doing anything out of what ever is your normal day is a risk. It's upto you whether or not you will assume that risk.

No doubt if you live long enough, and stay in the structure long enough, some poly tic will insist it has gained any value, by no less than double.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,230,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I am very torn. I own a home and it keeps going down in value so I want to sell, not to mention the fact I hate the new next door neighbor. At the same time, it's a roof over my head and in a safe neighborhood that is paid for.

I really dislike this city and have zero support system. I am not working. Buying a place in the wilderness is out since I'm a single woman (and not young) and I don't like guns. My two small dogs and cat are not much protection.

Half of me says it's expensive to relocate and don't spend the money. The other half of me says I'm miserable in this town and would be suited better elsewhere. I know the general rule is to rent for at least a few months to get to know the area but I am afraid to make another colossal mistake like the one I did in moving here. I have just checked out of this town completely on every level except for the fact I own a house.

Any thoughts are appreciated. FWIW, I am extremely conservative and sitting in cash. I don't want to deplete what I have by relocating yet have no quality of life here. BTW, I do believe the proverbial S is going to hit the fan and we're not far off. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

U must have some family or relatives somewhere, pick the one or closer family member (is that what u mean by support system) and move to a nice place nearby to them. Doesn't have to be wilderness but not to close to a big city. I have moved to cities before without knowing anything about them except for a couple things which was all I needed.... What are those couple crucial things u want in your town? I wanted walking distance to a large body of water and public transportation... If u ask me today those 2 would be very different but u don't need to know all that much... just visit it find a good property and dont think to much if u feel good about it.. If ur sitting on some cash u want to spend it while its still good and get what u need that will give lasting benefits.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,230,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks, but must ask - why should I look for cop cars and 18 wheelers and dump trucks?
lol.. My guess would be that those 3 vehicles indicates a friendly and secure town... like a town off a highway or industrial area, the dump trucks indicate an area with valuable resources and the 18-wheelers indicate access to essentials.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,320,175 times
I didn't get the vehicals thing either. 3 cops in this town, usually only 1 or 2 on duty in day time and almost none at night. Not many big rigs here either, but we got dump trucks.

Mainly the cops here die from boredom, it's a big deal if a kid splits a finger with a firecracker, and my wife Ms. lead foot, appears to draw local LEO attention, but crys and looks sour, claiming she has to pee, and gets off the hook every time. Her and the cops are on a first name basis anyway, since she redsigned their town patch

Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 AM

9,321 posts, read 15,715,301 times
Actually, it means that cops and truck drivers tend to know were (or were not to) eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness