Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times

Advertisements

Riding a bike - I would worry about flat tires.
A motorcycle is noisey and will run out of gas.
A horse will whinney when it senses someone around. Not always a good idea.
A mule rider must be smarter than the mule.

I will stick to my donkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
what ever dude, your mind won't be changed like mine was 30 years ago, your absolutley right, a modern mountain bike is way better than a horse. and you'll have a raft in your back pack too...
Both have merits, and some of us have experiance with both and are open minded enough to chage our minds some aren't...
Don't forget the excavation equipment he's carrying to bury his bike "quickly."

This entire horse versus mountain bike scenario has become so ridiculous that it’s pointless to even debate it any further. If the proponent of mountain bikes cannot see the obvious inherent superiority of a horse versus bicycle while going cross country, through rough terrain, while packing gear and a rider, no amount of words will convince him otherwise.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
After thinking a bit, I must admit that my donkey's 'exhaust' will linger longer than that of a bicycle or motorcycle.

After a while tho, with more and more free roaming equines, the exhaust will attract less attention!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
That exhaust is useful for fertilizing the garden. Ahhhh, the circle of life!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
But, hey, you can't do this with a horse:

Barrel of Monkey Spoke Cards - YouTube

or this:

how to make your bike sound like a motorcycle - YouTube

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
One thing that shocks me about all this bicycle talk, would be the number of people that continuously talk about flat tires and bicycles.

I sometimes go through bouts of only mountain biking. I am really a road biker. I like to go fast, and mountain bikes are just too slow, so I always lean towards road bikes. I do get on my mountain cycling kicks from time to time, and they can last for months. While mountain cycling 180 miles a week on a trail that’s *unimproved*, I rarely get a flat.

If I had to guess, I’d say that I get one flat a month. One of my mountain bikes still has its original tubes. If I recall correctly, there’s one patch on the front tube, and about six on the rear. The bike has roughly 6,700 miles on it, so that’s a flat every 3,350 miles for the front, and about one every 1,100 miles for the rear. Flats aren’t that common, or at least for me they’re not.

I run racing slicks on my road bike. They are about ¾ of an inch wide and they take 140 lbs per square inch of air pressure. Despite my paper-thin racing tires, I recall flats about every 1,000 miles. My mountain bikes both have lightweight tires on them as well.

When I get a flat, it takes about ten minutes to find the hole, check the tire carcass for sharp foreign objects, patch the tire, remount, re-inflate, and I’m on my way. If you can afford to spend 100 – 600 dollars on a used mountain bike, you can afford 20 – 30 dollars on a small compact tool kit the size of a Swiss Army knife, patching kit, and pump. There are dozens of videos on youtube that will show you how to patch a tire if you already don’t know.

On the other hand, in the types of scenarios we’re talking about, there could well be debris all over the place. Broken glass and the like, so maybe your flat tire fears are well founded.

I just know I would personally not want to try to ride a bicycle to safety. I’d be and obvious target out in the open that’s slow and easily overtaken by motor vehicles. If I’m packing a lot of gear, I’m so slow that dogs and people become viable threats to my safety.

*Author’s note* By unimproved trail, I mean that it’s an old abandoned railroad bed. The tracks and ties were ripped up in the middle 1980s, and since that time, nothing’s been done to it. There’s also very little maintenance performed on the trail. The line dates back to the 1860s, and the section I ride on was closed in the 1960s. I’m riding on the original ballast, and there are all sorts of sharp objects. Even the ballast has coal cinders on it.

The last coal trains were used in America up till the late 1950s, and spur lines saw coal fired trains soldiering on well into the late 50s. Also, this line mostly hauled coal, so there’s a lot of coal dust, coal chunks, and burnt cinders from the engine’s boiler/sandbox all over the trail as well as normal debris a rail line accumulates. It’s very rough in sections where there are cut outs through the mountain. Some of the cut outs run for what seems like a mile. At places, the cut outs are deep, so freeze fractures along the cut outs have caused numerous rockslides, and quite often the rocks have sharp slivers on them just like a napped knife/arrowhead.

This is a pay attention trail that’s rarely traveled. It’s not uncommon to surprise black racer snakes, deer, and other fauna. Thus far I’ve been lucky. I’ve not yet encountered a copperhead or a timber rattler, but I’ve heard that they’re there. I do however run into people that either aren’t cautious or are ill equipped, and they’ve got flat tires, which I stop and fix due to the remote location. Pushing a bicycle five to ten miles on a trail isn’t a lot of fun…

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Bicycles can suffer from mechanical failures, beasts of burdens can suffer from biological failures. Both have their pros/cons and specific circumstances where one could be preferable to the other. Neither is inherently better or worse than the other in all scenarios one would likely encounter post-SHTF.

However, I think we've answered the original question of the OP... it appears that, yes, many people would consider riding a horse (or other beast of burden) if the SHTF.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM

191 posts, read 180,809 times
put Slime in each tire, never get a flat again. also, they make solid rubber tires, no flat issues, ever. Get with the times, guys, they've had this sort of stuff for 20 years or more.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 PM

I've got several "run flats" tires (solid and filled) and I can tell you, if you're riding on rough terrain, you're going to feel every single bump no matter how tiny... and if it's really cold, don't try to roll over anything more tan 1/2 inch high!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 PM

191 posts, read 180,809 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack i've been rubbed RAW by riding horseback. Bikes don't run off, bite you, rub you off on a tree, roll over on your stuff, get sick, get hurt, kick you, make noise, don't need to be fed, watered, rubbed down, curried, etc, either.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-28-2011 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness