Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I wish you all the happiness, peace and safety in the world, I really do.

BUT ...

One Marine is good. 1,000 might be better. With automatic weapons that have been banned by the government. Study your history - there has NEVER been a defensive position so well-formed that did not ultimately fall, whether through sheer numbers or faulty design. It's just a matter of time - that's all that any security arrangement buys you - time. Time to retreat out your bolt-hole.

I'm sorry, but your rent-a-cops will be the first to go, and that will be easy. Even easier will be taking down all the law-abiding citizens that have never had any form of combat experience. They'll fall to snipers, explosives, flames, CBW or just plain superior firepower. They'll grab a kid and hold them hostage. They'll start executing your neighbors until you agree to drop your arms and come out - then they'll take you out also. Psychological warfare.

Again, I'm not talking about joy-riding kids or the occasional petty thief. I'm talking the complete breakdown of society - the great majority of people will either turn into ravenous animals or will fall to those very same animals.

I'm sorry, but your place fairly reeks of money and comfort and supplies. It would be one of the first to be targeted by the rioting mobs, and when they have hunger, thirst and fear and know that there is no help coming for you they'll lay siege until the last person falls.

Great post, Phil!!! You said what I've been thinking. People that live in a gated community are safe unless we have a break down, then the cops will go home to be with their families. The people who are rich and live in these communities have a false sense of security, and I suspect most of them don't think about preparing to defend themselves, and have no idea they will ever have to. Many of the people who live in these communities haven't seen the need to buy a security system, but with a major breakdown, a security system wouldn't do any good anyway. Selling and installing alarm systems for 31 years has taught me a lot about how people think. We have a large gated community where I live, many of the home owners have installed alarm systems, but many others haven't, many of these folks have moved here from California and have never owned a firearm. They would be easy pickings for a group of thugs after their goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Why do people think gated communities protect them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Why do people think guns make them safe?
A firearm gives you power over a person who does not have a firearm. When I go into the woods for a hike I always have a firearm. We have Mountain Lions where I live and I don't want to worry about what one will do if it is hungry and sees me. I feel safe because I know without a doubt that I can protect myself. I feel the same way when I'm walking a deserted street at night, I know no one is going to bother me. I also have a fire extinguisher in my home and in all of my vehicles, I may never need one, but if I do I'll have it with me.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 AM

Default Why do people think gated communities protect them?

Quote:
Because statistically they are more safe.

Statistically having a gun makes you less safe.

Does that answer your question?
You are wrong! It has been proven that having a gun does not make you less safe. I think you are reading the wrong funny books. When you go back to school tomorrow ask your junior high school adviser what they think about this.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM

43 posts, read 53,814 times
If you live in a gated community, this means you have some protection from theives whose m.o. is to park a cable tv truck, moving van or lawn service van in your driveway while your are at work and clean out the contents of you house while pretending to be there on legitimate business. If you live in a gated community it also means you will not have outsiders going door-to-door in your neighborhood trying to sell you stuff or getting you to donate to some charity or trying to save your soul for some fringe religuous group -- or have con artists posing as legitimate sales people or charity workers. A gated comminuty is not a fortress and can not protect you from a group of armed bandits or rioting losers. That's why we have law enforcement, the National Guard and and home owners who are registered firearms owners.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You are wrong! It has been proven that having a gun does not make you less safe. I think you are reading the wrong funny books. When you go back to school tomorrow ask your junior high school adviser what they think about this.
Yep I wrote a paper as an undergraduate about gun control. I do not own a gun, but statistically when there's more gun ownership among law-abiding citizens, there's less violent crime. Robberies etc also showed an increase after enactment of gun control laws in certain areas. You can probably Google the stats.

If private law-abiding citizens are prevented from having guns, the only people who will own guns are the government and criminals. As a non-gun-owner, I don't relish that thought, either.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Hello. I've read many of your posts for a while now, but this is my first response.

I lived in a gated community for a long while. My city posted a detailed crime map using Google maps once. It had a "dot" of every incident for about 2 years. The dots were color coded. Property crime, domestic call, burglary, and so on. The gates areas were by far the safest in terms of property crimes. There were still domestic calls, but overall it was safer.

A gated area certainly limits random crime. In reality, if someone wants to hurt you, the gated area is not going to help you, unless you are a drug lord with a real gated property, along with the bodyguards.

I don't feel any less safe now. In fact, having some room around me makes me feel safer. There are different types of safety. Physical safety is just one. Economic freedom, peace of mind, and self-reliance are others.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 148,718 times
This my observation of someone I know, a recognized established doctor that sacrifices a tremendous amount time and energy of life to literally save other peoples lives, completely wrapped up in this profession 24/7 your on call so you live 5-10 minutes away from the hospital. And let say the good doctor has a hobby like saving old clocks and your just a nices most down to earth guy. In fact you have received recognition from highest honors in your field. You and your family move just move into a place to lease while you look around a new city for a permanent place to live and while your living there one day your wife arrives home and some has broken in and stole your old antique clocks that you tinker with and that most likely do not have great value to someone else and steal your clock and some other things . This event has terrified your wife, children and pets to death. After that event you change, and your safety and security has been shaken. You take action you decide for the safety, security and protection plus peace of mind you move into a gated guarded community so you can go to work, travel and go to conferences ..without having to live in constant fear of your families and pets safety. You have to do what you can to protect your and your loved ones. In some places as soon as you enter the area a camera will take a picture of your plates and they will run your plates so fast they will know exactly who you are and if you've been in the area before. The guards sitting in the watch tower many times may have military background and/or retired cops. I've seen tons of quasi para-militaristic individuals moonlighting , you would be surprised! And many are being paid fairly well due to specialize training for sitting in the watch tower! As soon as the standard of living and wages no longer match and throw in high unemployment rates of all this causes crime to skyrocket. So we are watching this happening ... some places now look like the wild, wild west.

n dublin;20332216]I'm currently living in an area that is loaded with gated communities. I'm at loss as to why people think living behind a four foot wall with a guard monitoring a gate makes them safe.

I realize for many it is a status symbol, but if you look at the stats regarding crime there is no proof that they're any safer.

I would also think in the event of a SHTF economic collapse the "have nots" and the desperate people will head right to the gated communities, as their mindset will be those are the people who have the most(which may or may not be correct) live in gated communities.

Do these people really think a guard making $9 an hour and a wall that anyone in halfway decent shape can climb over is going to protect them????

I wonder what P.T. Barnum would think?[/quote]

Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Because statistically they are more safe.

Statistically having a gun makes you less safe.

Does that answer your question?
Many people quoting statistics are like the American idol contestants that are horrible but don't realize it. Seriously, it's kinda gotten to be a source of amusement to me how people whom without experience wouldn't try to diagnose someones illness, tell them how to fix thier car engine or instruct them on the best technique for performing a back flip....but with statistics a number of people will whip out garbage studies at the drop of a hat.

If you would care to post a link to the study you've seen I would happy to look at the methodologies, assumptions and errors that leap out at me....or not as the case may be.

I did that in another thread to the old "blue states pay more in taxes than they take in" chestnut....that ones pretty hillarious.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 AM

26 posts, read 148,718 times
Living in a gated guarded community is fabulous. We were in a beautiful place surrounded by what appeared to be some pretty interesting educated older people with some young people. For some people this was a second home. We knew most of the neighbors we met at the happy hours at the club house. People are polite and courteous where we stayed. No traffic, no solictors and total peace, and calmness. We also lived in a beautiful suburb we knew our neighbors , but there was so much movement in the neighborhood with people walking dogs to the park, and jogging to the park, solicitors , cars and truck driving by. We lived on a regular street, not a busy intersection perhaps the park two block away was the great draw. I prefer gated guarded community with a detached townhouses with some space around you and your neighbor. I need total quiet so I can work . Anyhow, I think everything has it pluses and minuses. Cost for gated guarded community on the river HOA plus taxes monthly charge, $1400. Square footage was 2300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness