U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:29 PM

4,466 posts, read 4,909,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Yes, that is what we are told. Supposedly this was defeated 18 months ago... yet with Billary Clinton still pushing it, and anti-gun activists continuing to pursue it and bring it to the fore, I wouldn't make any bets. It all depends on what those 50% of Senators are promised. If they do pass such a thing, we won't need to worry about ousting them at the next election - there won't be one.
It's a politicians job to try and pass legislation they think is beneficial to the country, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's the oppositions job to try and prevent that, if they believe it's bad legislation.

Are you seriously suggesting there would be a civil war if the US makes amendments to the 2nd amendment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM

14,729 posts, read 6,013,304 times
Quote:
Yes, that is what we are told. Supposedly this was defeated 18 months ago... yet with Billary Clinton still pushing it, and anti-gun activists continuing to pursue it and bring it to the fore, I wouldn't make any bets. It all depends on what those 50% of Senators are promised. If they do pass such a thing, we won't need to worry about ousting them at the next election - there won't be one.

you are correct that it does take 2/3rds and 50%, but it is 2/3rds and half present when it is given to them.

if only 10 senators and 10 representitives are present when it is given to them, and they are all democrats, what do you think the chances of this failing would be?

on the other hand, if it does pass, maybe some states will get enough guts and politically secede from the union.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM

14,729 posts, read 6,013,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It's a politicians job to try and pass legislation they think is beneficial to the country, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's the oppositions job to try and prevent that, if they believe it's bad legislation.

Are you seriously suggesting there would be a civil war if the US makes amendments to the 2nd amendment?

not amendments, passing a treaty that would go against the 2nd is akin to asking for a civil war.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM

15,952 posts, read 11,877,243 times
Too bad, my wife says I can't buy another gun until I shoot someone withbthe last gun I bought

Old 08-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
not amendments, passing a treaty that would go against the 2nd is akin to asking for a civil war.
You do realize treaties can be "dissolved" quite peacefully, you do realize that?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:13 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,460,459 times
Quote:
LOL nope, nice try.

What I am saying is that enough people will roll over and shrug and say - "Doesn't pertain to me, what's on 'Survivor' " tonight?" - and then the UN troops supported by National Guard troops will move in and take weapons from law-abiding US citizens, just like they did in Katrina... and there will be no 'election'... well, they will say there was one, just like in all of the dictator-run countries... voter fraud? Don't you dare even THINK it, much less say it...

Sheep to slaughter. Once the threat of an armed populace is gone, with the collapsing economy, the porous borders, and a weak administration that insists on being nice instead of defensive, what threat do you think any other country would feel from us?

‘‘Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial ... the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding’’ — Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
LOL nope, nice try.

What I am saying is that enough people will roll over and shrug and say - "Doesn't pertain to me, what's on 'Survivor' " tonight?" - and then the UN troops supported by National Guard troops will move in and take weapons from law-abiding US citizens, just like they did in Katrina... and there will be no 'election'... well, they will say there was one, just like in all of the dictator-run countries... voter fraud? Don't you dare even THINK it, much less say it...

Sheep to slaughter. Once the threat of an armed populace is gone, with the collapsing economy, the porous borders, and a weak administration that insists on being nice instead of defensive, what threat do you think any other country would feel from us?

‘‘Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial ... the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding’’ — Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928
...I wasn't trying to do anything, it's what your post appeared to allude to.

If there's one thing that's true about the US, it's that the political system is horribly inefficient and designed to be close to impossible to pass things in. Anything that's anywhere close to what you're suggesting will never happen and the US Government would never allow UN troops on their soil, nor would the UN be in a position to want that.

And if you think a small arms armed population is what stops anyone from launching an attack on the US, which appears to be what you're saying ("Once the threat of an armed populace is gone ... what threat do you think any other country would feel from us?"), I think you're sorely mistaken.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 PM

19,120 posts, read 10,723,143 times
Quote:

Yes, You would see a internal war that would make the last one look silly. That little war in 1860 to 1865 took a lot of lives, but a war like that now, would top that by millions of dead on both sides.

That is if there is a both sides and the 'We the People' have a lot more than the feds do. It is our sons and daughters, and which side do you think they will be on?

It is against the CONS to use the armed services against us in the first place. That only leave the National Guard, and they won't stand against their own parents either.

So I really don't know who the Feds would thing to get, unless they brought in foreign mercs.

No Blue Hat will ever walk freely around where I live.

Get the UN out of the USA NOW!

If any senate, congress or the Pres sign this there will be a demand for arrest, a trial for Treason. The punishment for the Capitol Offence of Treason is death. I didn't make that law the Feds did.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yes, You would see a internal war that would make the last one look silly. That little war in 1860 to 1865 took a lot of lives, but a war like that now, would top that by millions of dead on both sides.

That is if there is a both sides and the 'We the People' have a lot more than the feds do. It is our sons and daughters, and which side do you think they will be on?

It is against the CONS to use the armed services against us in the first place. That only leave the National Guard, and they won't stand against their own parents either.

So I really don't know who the Feds would thing to get, unless they brought in foreign mercs.

No Blue Hat will ever walk freely around where I live.

Get the UN out of the USA NOW!

If any senate, congress or the Pres sign this there will be a demand for arrest, a trial for Treason. The punishment for the Capitol Offence of Treason is death. I didn't make that law the Feds did.
But why do gun owners immediately go from legislation to civil war? Why not adhere to the rules of a well functioning society and vote for, commit to and politically work to have any amendments or treaties repealed? Why use deadly force at all? It is not and will not be needed.

As for private contractors, that's a very real possibility in a case of civil disobedience (or civil war, if you will), several million are already employed by the Pentagon (Pentagon themselves admit they actually do not know how many they employ but that it's in the millions range) and hundreds of thousands more are readily available, including air forces, naval forces and boots on the ground, in addition to intelligence etc.

That said though, I think it's a ridiculous notion that it will ever be the case, there's no need for it.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM

15,952 posts, read 11,877,243 times
Quote:
But why do gun owners immediately go from legislation to civil war? Why not adhere to the rules of a well functioning society and vote for, commit to and politically work to have any amendments or treaties repealed? Why use deadly force at all? It is not and will not be needed.

As for private contractors, that's a very real possibility in a case of civil disobedience (or civil war, if you will), several million are already employed by the Pentagon (Pentagon themselves admit they actually do not know how many they employ but that it's in the millions range) and hundreds of thousands more are readily available, including air forces, naval forces and boots on the ground, in addition to intelligence etc.

That said though, I think it's a ridiculous notion that it will ever be the case, there's no need for it.
Pledging Alliegance out one side of their mouth while preaching Secession and Treason out the other, nothing new there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness