U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM

191 posts, read 41,279 times

Advertisements

in most areas. New donors get bonuses, up to $50 per donation, first few times. Donate 2x a week, average $30 per donation. great way to supplement your income.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM

866 posts, read 501,024 times
One can only donate if they have no health problems(ie. diabetes) or are not on medications(blood pressure, cholesterol,etc).
Know this from personal experience!
Used to sell blood when I was much younger and needed extra cash.
Went to sell some about 2-3 years ago...Was told sorry, we can't accept you as a client/donor.
Haven't tried since...besides I need it more now than they do

Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM

645 posts, read 614,853 times
If you sell your plasma often, you’re going to be stuck by people that aren’t always the best. Hence, you’re going to have small black and blues here and there, which will make other people give you quizzical stares because they probably think that you’re either unhealthy or a drug addict…

Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 453,360 times
My husband and I did this for awhile about 10 years ago, after finding out we were desireable donors due to several immunities we had, plus my being blood type O negative (universal donor type). We were fortunate that the workers in the facility we went to were pretty skilled, so we didn't suffer any bad sticks or bruising. But it did get rather tedious. Most of the people who went there to sell plasma tended to be from the lower socioeconomic scale, and while we were not then or now snobs the television programming played to entertain the donors was geared towards them. We ended up taking music and books as distractions from Jerry Springer shows constantly blaring from the overhead televisions.

Another side effect is permanent scars from the IV needles because they always used the same sites- our inner elbows. The scars aren't large, they're about the size of a few chicken pox scars if they were all clustered together, one on each arm.

The majority of plasma goes to the cosmetics industry, with a small percentage going to medical purposes. Mainly burn victims, but there are also other medical uses. If you have immunity to various diseases such as Hepatitis (both hubby and I had been vaccinated before trips to Mexico to vacation) you can get more cash than if you don't have these immunities. They screen for HIV and other blood-born diseases before allowing you to donate, and each time you donate you are tested again. Having had certain types of infections in the past (they have a question form that is pretty extensive) will make you unable to donate. Also certain types of medications make you ineligible.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 428,501 times
(1) Do they give you cash for the donations?
(2) Do they give more money for rarer blood types, I wonder?

If the thought (and actual act) of having blood drawn did not make me sick, and if I were not an athlete that needs my blood on a regular basis, lest it interfere with my training.... this would be a pretty good solution to some of my problems. Somewhat oddly, I have no problem whatsoever seeing blood when it comes to most situations. I could slice my arm open with a knife if I wanted to, no prob..... but having to stand there while somebody extracts blood and puts it in a little vial... *pukes*

Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 453,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
(1) Do they give you cash for the donations?
(2) Do they give more money for rarer blood types, I wonder?

If the thought (and actual act) of having blood drawn did not make me sick, and if I were not an athlete that needs my blood on a regular basis, lest it interfere with my training.... this would be a pretty good solution to some of my problems. Somewhat oddly, I have no problem whatsoever seeing blood when it comes to most situations. I could slice my arm open with a knife if I wanted to, no prob..... but having to stand there while somebody extracts blood and puts it in a little vial... *pukes*
In answer to your questions, when I did it:

(1) yes, and (2) yes. They only draw blood for the tests they run, same as in a lab your doctor sends you to for testing. The part they pay you for is your plasma, and it is done with a machine, similar to dialysis. Your blood is drawn off, goes through an extraction process and your blood cells along with some plasma is returned. You are advised to hydrate yourself to make this easier, and the plasma is replaced by your body pretty quickly. That's why you can donate twice a week with no problems. You probably could safely do it more often, but the labs prefer to err on the side of caution. I never felt the slightest bit odd, aside from a peculiar taste in my mouth when the process was started. I understand some people have that reaction, sort of like being a supertaster. But it wasn't unpleasant, just strange tasting.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,359,652 times
For more info on plasma, platelet and whole blood donation visit American Red Cross.

Rare types are usually LESS valuable than common types unless there is a direct an immediate need... otherwise the blood just goes "bad" on the shelf. Because of this my husband and I (both rare types) no longer donate whole blood, platelets or plasma regularly, but ARC does call us for a donation if/when our types are needed. The only donation that strongly prefers a rare type is Double Red Cell, which is most appropriate from O-type and rH negative donors (DH & I donate DRC twice a year).

Eligibility requirements (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirementshttp://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements - broken link) for donation are stringent. Certain medical conditions, life events, medications, and lifestyles may make you ineligible.

The ARC recommends the following donation frequencies to minimize health risks:
Blood (whole blood): Every 56 days
Platelets: Every 7 days, up to 24 times/year
Plasma: Every 28 days, up to 13 times/year
Double Red Cells: Every 112 days, up to 3 times/year

Be advised: The American Red Cross does NOT pay for donations, they are strictly volunteer. Some private facilities may pay for donations and may have their own eligibility requirements and frequency schedules. Be very careful to research the facility and their conditions if you decide to sell your plasma, platelets or whole blood... there can be serious health risks involved from improper or too frequent procedures. It is important to note that most blood products collected from private facilities are not used in community medical applications, but are use by Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic companies for research, testing and production purposes.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: One more warning

Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,602,838 times
Selling is not a donation. I have had friends die because they needed blood, which was sold by really sick people. I mean sick in the head, will do anything for a quick buck. I pray to God I never need any of that blood.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,359,652 times
I, personally, would have to be extremely hard-up for cash to even consider *selling* any of my body parts or fluids. Especially not if it required any sort of invasive procedure... and yes, needles are invasive. Anyone who's ever gotten an infected or blown venopuncture would most definitely agree with that.

It's not that I'm morally against the practice, I just think it is way too unsafe to use as a convenient source of cash. As noted, most of supply at the paying facilities don't go to "save lives" they go to some company so they can make more money... any life-saving that comes from that kind of arrangement is purely secondary.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM

373 posts, read 312,286 times
Default In Case blood is needed sign here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Selling is not a donation. I have had friends die because they needed blood, which was sold by really sick people. I mean sick in the head, will do anything for a quick buck. I pray to God I never need any of that blood.
A couple of times the MD's and nurses tried to make me sign a waiver letting them off of liability if my wife needed blood during childbirth.

I refused to to sign, the whole crew sure worked hard at getting me to.

At one time no one knew about HIV, they assured me this problem was now gone, but Hep C was later to come in the blood supply and who knows what else next.

I explained if she really needs blood or it is all over, we both know what your going to do....So there is no reason for me to sign anything.

It is simple Biology who knows what is out there and getting into the system? I point blank told them I will only go after the people and corporations whose fault it would be, not someone saving a life by doing a thier job.

I would be afraid as far as giving blood it could tear up veins over time.

Some of the types of people taking the blood products might also blow off safety pracautions too. But anyone who needs the money.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness