Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm with you SCGranny. I've been following the looting going on in the UK. Hooded youth gangs looting stores and setting fires "because they can". Downright scary. We've already got our version of "flash robs" going on..it won't take much to set them off to start looting and setting stuff on fire. They know they have strength in numbers and see what is going on in the UK.

UK Riots Live Blog | Al Jazeera Blogs
Yeah... But growing up in the UK, I can add a little perspective here for Americans. The British like to riot. It's been a national past-time for about 60 odd years, indeed about every 10 years in the UK there's at least one major riot in some underprivileged urban or suburban area.

The Looting/Arson is just opportunistic during the riot itself, most of the real thievery really happens at Motorway service stations.

Often some event happens that results in a bunch of people going off turning over cars yelling and throwing things at the police, this is then reported by hysterical media talking heads, who say police are being sent in from The Met, Greater Manchester, Birmingham, Merseyside, Northumbria, etc. and you'll see those other cities shortly afterwards doing the same (even if they don't specifically call out those places, everyone knows where they're coming from anyway).

So while it seems quite worrying to people over here, it's pretty much a 10 year (or less) event over there. Here's a shortened list I remember while there or reading about after coming here, Southall riots 1979, Brixton/Toxteth/Moss Side Riot 1981, Chapeltown Riots 1987, Brixton/Hyde Park/Bradford Riots 1995, Oldham/Bradford 2001, Birmingham 2005, UEFA Cup Riots Manchester 2008, Birmingham 2009. There are other smaller ones too, that have happened, but didn't make too much of an impression. So the riots in the UK isn't really a sure fire indication of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Yeah... But growing up in the UK, I can add a little perspective here for Americans. The British like to riot. It's been a national past-time for about 60 odd years, indeed about every 10 years in the UK there's at least one major riot in some underprivileged urban or suburban area.

The Looting/Arson is just opportunistic during the riot itself, most of the real thievery really happens at Motorway service stations.

Often some event happens that results in a bunch of people going off turning over cars yelling and throwing things at the police, this is then reported by hysterical media talking heads, who say police are being sent in from The Met, Greater Manchester, Birmingham, Merseyside, Northumbria, etc. and you'll see those other cities shortly afterwards doing the same (even if they don't specifically call out those places, everyone knows where they're coming from anyway).

So while it seems quite worrying to people over here, it's pretty much a 10 year (or less) event over there. Here's a shortened list I remember while there or reading about after coming here, Southall riots 1979, Brixton/Toxteth/Moss Side Riot 1981, Chapeltown Riots 1987, Brixton/Hyde Park/Bradford Riots 1995, Oldham/Bradford 2001, Birmingham 2005, UEFA Cup Riots Manchester 2008, Birmingham 2009. There are other smaller ones too, that have happened, but didn't make too much of an impression. So the riots in the UK isn't really a sure fire indication of anything.
Well that's good to know and takes the edge off the fear I have but not completely because I do read of our increasing occurrence of flash mobs/robs here in the US.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
One thing I am buying the heck of out now - lids for canning jars. The jars are reuseable, the lids are not. Didn't think of that until this week.

Oh well, back to my new spectator sport - watching the stock market bounce.
CountrySue, Check out Lehman's, they have the coolest bulk lids for sale... Kitchen*|*Canning and Preserving*|*Jars, Lids and Rubbers*|*Bulk Canning Dome Lids - Lehmans.com=

Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Voodoo economics

I think some of our Congress critters don't mean any harm. They want to feel important, so they try to do the 'right thing'. Unfortunately for us, they don't know how to detemine what course of action to take. Doing what is right is easy, figuring out what is right is difficult.

It seems there is always someone who is trying to figure out what to do with one class of people or another. They don't realize that the best thing that can be done is to leave people alone. People will find their own way, act in their own best interests, if they are free.

Failure should have consequences. This is a part of living free. I have failed; I have been fired from jobs; I have failed to get what I want when I wanted it. I learned to accept failure as a part of life. I learned to be a better employee. I learned to wait and work for what I wanted. I don't think I would ever have learned to be independent if there was a 'safety net' that would prevent me from suffering any harm from my actions. I needed to crash a few times before I would learn.

My family was too poor to send me to college. I worked during the day and went to school at night. Most importantly, I did not get pregnant at an early age. I waited (sorry guys, it really is the woman's decision).

Sometimes I think it is too easy today. We have too many safety nets. There is too much government. Too few standards for behavior.

Or, maybe I am just getting too old!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Spot gold is 1774.10. The DJIA is down 381.29 at 10,858.48. Palladium and platinum are holding their own. FOMC says easy money for at least two years.

Some major banks are predicting 2000-2500 gold by year's end.

There are race riots in the UK. They never have the race riots there that we've had here, but times are changing. White Nationalist groups could end up making big gains in support. Let's hope we see that here as well.

While the lemmings bought television sets and water skis, you bought gold. Give yourself a treat today.

Why London Is Burning | As I Please | Big Think

"Amid the chaos and the noise, someone (George Soros) is quietly buying “stuff†you can actually use and which has value way beyond currencies or metals; yep, farmland. Welcome to the next bubble; only this one, well, it might have quite some time left to inflate."

George Soros, the real ruler of this country, may be right. Then again, he may be very wrong. Even Jon Nadler is upbeat from our standpoint.

Gold Silver Price Market Analysis | Jon Nadler In the Lead

Meanwhile Obama is doing something real for his country and its neighbors. There's no "seeking concensus" here. He's acting like a leader.

White House announces $105 million to combat drought, famine in East Africa - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-announces-105-million-to-combat-drought-famine-in-east-africa/2011/08/08/gIQAsdxw2I_story.html - broken link)

Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
HW, I hear silver may hit 250 per this year too. Silver makes nice small change still. I can't do gold, but I did do guns. I got a little silver left over from the bench too.

I miss working the stuff, but my prices were less than what a troy oz costs now. Basicly I would have to more than double the prices to earn any profit. I don't see any customer base there, and I refuse to make the stuff of nickel (German Silver)

Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Spot gold is 1774.10. The DJIA is down 381.29 at 10,858.48. Palladium and platinum are holding their own. FOMC says easy money for at least two years.

Some major banks are predicting 2000-2500 gold by year's end.

There are race riots in the UK. They never have the race riots there that we've had here, but times are changing. White Nationalist groups could end up making big gains in support. Let's hope we see that here as well.

While the lemmings bought television sets and water skis, you bought gold. Give yourself a treat today.

Why London Is Burning | As I Please | Big Think

"Amid the chaos and the noise, someone (George Soros) is quietly buying “stuff” you can actually use and which has value way beyond currencies or metals; yep, farmland. Welcome to the next bubble; only this one, well, it might have quite some time left to inflate."

George Soros, the real ruler of this country, may be right. Then again, he may be very wrong. Even Jon Nadler is upbeat from our standpoint.

Gold Silver Price Market Analysis | Jon Nadler In the Lead

Meanwhile Obama is doing something real for his country and its neighbors. There's no "seeking concensus" here. He's acting like a leader.

White House announces $105 million to combat drought, famine in East Africa - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-announces-105-million-to-combat-drought-famine-in-east-africa/2011/08/08/gIQAsdxw2I_story.html - broken link)
Many wealthy Republicans own a lot of land. Heck, George Bush Jr. has a ranch in Texas. I don't see you mentioning him. How much good land has Donald Trump destroyed with his grotesque creations? How many times has he gone into bankruptcy? I guess that's just business but when someone walks away from their upside down mortgage, they are not being patriotic...

George Soros (the favorite conservative target) is not the only one buying up farmland. In fact, there was a Wall St Journal article not too long ago about the fact that a lot of Wall St types are buying up farmland and as a result it is already out of reach of ordinary people (and farmers). So please, do not spread misinformation or partial information or at least try to be objective. Finally, there are a bunch of people on this forum and many other forums on city-data that own two or three properties all over the country. Heck I know people whom I would ordinarily think poor - then I find out they have 20 acres in rural county X and 10 acres in rural county Y and....They bought them as an investment and are hanging on to them. Do I like it? No, for various reasons we will not get into today. Do they have the right to do that? Sure, it's a free country and land is a commodity (unfortunately).

You know nothing (it appears) about the UK. Rioting is a national sport in Europe. In United States we sue each other, the various government entities and corporations into oblivion. Over there, they protest, burn and riot. It's a cultural thing. I am not condoning it but it is reality.

Your post is a perfect example of the huge divide that exists between the left and the right. Anyone could pull out a link to tax breaks and handouts that an oil company like Exxon or BP received here (even after already making billions in profit) and it will dwarf the $100 million that someone spent on a humanitarian cause. I guess that part doesn't bother you or else you would have mentioned it next to the drought assistance story?

OD

Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
George Soros, the real ruler of this country...
Thank God the old coot is 80 something.

Enough is enough!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
HW, I hear silver may hit 250 per this year too. Silver makes nice small change still. I can't do gold, but I did do guns. I got a little silver left over from the bench too.

I miss working the stuff, but my prices were less than what a troy oz costs now. Basicly I would have to more than double the prices to earn any profit. I don't see any customer base there, and I refuse to make the stuff of nickel (German Silver)
Another theory is that silver will come back down as world industrial demand slows with the slowing of Western economies. Silver is a key metal for the tech and "green" energy industries. Inflation in China may slow their economy as well as decreased demand for goods made in China. Additionally, with the falling price of oil the cost of mining becomes less.

I heard the "D" word used on CNBC today by a hedge fund manager. The DEBT problem is weighing on the entire civilized world and his opinon iwas that the US is indeed in the beginning stages of a Depression.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-10-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 03:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Well for so long has played silly money games, making as silly rules to regulate it, and than even taken the value out, I just don't care to want to play.

I found out the hard way, with pre-existing this and pre-existing that, I got from workin' like a slave for peanuts. The quailty of my life has improved for a lack of tools called dollars.

I will be some ammused when the people finally get it figured that 1933 was the end of real money and 1957 was then of Govt printed notes.. If people were still alive that were used to real money, there would be scalps hangin in DC, and that is exactly why the Fed's fear what they have done and try to keep it a secret.

Land ownership is just another fake deal IMO. You sure can't take it with after death do us part. All I need any given time is s spot 2x 6 feet to sleep on, and after death I won't give a damn.

If we get the kind of shake up I think may happen, all the papers to prove who owns what will be as worthless as the papers they are printed on. Just like Treaty's were.

This Fedral Govt just loves games and to change the games in the middle of it. No one can respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness