U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM

700 posts, read 1,388,243 times

Advertisements

If Yellowstone erupts do you really think you can survive? I am not knocking self defense and being prepared if things go to crap during a time of civil unrest. Or a natural disaster. But, do you really think you can survive something that will affect the world? What is the point if you do? I am just trying to get some insight. I have an emergency kit for the normal things that happen and 10 days is about it. I do own a few firearms. For protection and hunting. Granted 45, 9mm couple of shotguns and hunting rifles. No automatic, super magazine, belt feed ones. Have some items that can help out if no gas is around, heating oil, food supplies and water. Can grow food if needed. Which would take some time. But is a handy skill to have. So what am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,121,528 times
The whole point about preparedness is that you prepare for - whatever. It is merely the advanced stages of "Use it up, wear it out, make it do!" You waste nothing. You put back when you have plenty, in case you reach a point in your life where you don't. You prep for whatever you, in your mind, in your time of life, in your area, know that, with that preparedness, you can survive.

Yellowstone caldera blowing? Massive nuclear attack? That cracking volcano in the Canary Islands falling into the sea and wiping out the east coast? California getting "the BIG one" and falling into the sea? Meteorites crasing into the earth? Nuclear winter? Ice age? No, of course you probably can't prepare for the aftermaths of all of those things; most BIG things affect even people thousands of miles away. But that is no reason to NOT prepare for the things that you CAN mitigate.

The Mormons used to tell their congregations to prep for a year; they've expanded it to two years. Everyone is at a different level, but the more you prepare, the more you learn. Planting a garden with heirloom seed every year, and letting a few plants from each species go to seed, will guarantee not only that you learn how to overcome or mitigate bad weather, but that you'll have good seed for the next year or two. Waiting until the power goes out in the next ice storm might not be a good idea to discover that your 'special place' for harvesting wood has already been destroyed or used by others. Waiting until a disaster occurs might not be a good time to learn how to plant, fertilize, harvest and put up your produce. Hunting and teaching yourself to butcher deer, hog, or turkey isn't something you want to wait to do until EVERYone is doing it. It's not just the 'stuff' you gather, it's what you learn along the way that will save your azz, and make you less dependent on others' kindness or good will - in any situation. Good life skills are important.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 AM

191 posts, read 141,435 times
yes, as the expected job determines what tool you need, the expected emergency determines what gear/supplies/skills you need. The disasters mentioned will involve the need for defense, because they will make many people helpless and many of the unprepared will turn to looting in desperation. Quickly, in many cases. 2-3 days, at most, for a lot of people, and nearly everyone in 2-3 weeks.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,383,583 times
There are maps of past YS events. Don't be livin on the mapped areas if that is a concern. Oddly much of the damage from YS events, 2 so far as i know also went a good distance south west. Seems odd to me.

That type of event, if full blown is likey to cause a 3 to 5 year winter like climate, so it is said. So to deal with that, you would need possibly better than 5 years worth of supplies, and have more or less full time access to them intact.

I live in NH, and a YS event would likey wipe me out, but not from the blast or the ash, but for the winters in summer. If the prediction of the winters is wrong, then I am good to go for so long as i would live. I don't have any 5 years worth of much, but I have primitive living skills, that I practice a lot. Just yesterday, I gave one man a demo on how to make cordage by hand from junk grass, as my wife and I were alone at a road side produce stand, and that guy was it.

He was pretty handy, my age and knew the woods, and rural living well. He had tricks, and resources i don't, and I have tricks he doesn't. We shared some related info, and the grass was just there.

I don't need to count on store bought stuff to just live.

Basicly there is 2 ways to look at this problem. One is have everything you might need/want untill what ever normal is returns, or to be able to hunt and gather 99% of your needs'wants. My way is the 2nd way.

Who knows if that will work, I don't, but it's my best shot, and a heck of a lot less problem.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM

700 posts, read 1,388,243 times
Default Wow Surprised

I thought that I was going to get that one person that is arm with more guns and ammo than he/she could ever use. And the dehydrated food packed into a fallout bunker. I do think I have at least a months worth that could go to two. This is for a family of four. Water about a couple of weeks. Now, granted most of the foods are canned. Do very well without the power. First things to go is the freezer stuff. Ate very well a few years back when the power died during a major ice storm. Had plenty of wood for heat (wood stove) and gas for the grill. Carbs help to stay warm.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Since72, With a jug of bleach you can extend water a very long time. With fire you can get water right now. Boiling it and filtering it after with a cotton rag will do. You don't really need to filter it either, but it could look some wicked nasty if you don't.

There are somethings I don't want to survive. YS might be one of them, a full blown nuke war probably would be another.

Ice storms are just plain fun, I've been through 2 woppers, and had time to assist the elderly, and cook coffee and home made donuts for the crews out working 24/7.

Both times I offered any crews I came by a place to rest. Both times some came to rest and both times I scared the hell out of them having temps around 80 indoors from wood heat, which they assumed wrongly that power was back.

I also have 4 alladin lamps making apx 60 watts light each, a Blaupunkt car radio with tunes cranked up, and so it does appear that I do have power when I don't.

I lost no food, I just dumped papers out of the metal file cabinets and gathered all the ice i could ever want. Set these on the north porch, and they were good to go a long while. Oh and I had pink foam board on hand for other projects and just cut it to add insulation to the cabinets. A basic no brainer.

At the primitive events when I had a horse i used bales of hay to make a ice chest with no box. I simply set up the bales to have a empty place in the middle. Dumped in ice, added food, added more ice and placed a bale over the hole, and covered that all with a hunk of off white canvass.

Kept food 10 days with that, which was how long the events lasted. There was still ice when I left too. Tell ya what That hay bale rig made most modern plastic coolers look bad mista'

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,668,022 times
I don't think that most of us here have any pretensions of surviving a crisis so devastating that it would wipe off most life from the planet. That is just plain unrealistic, and I've never met a bunch of better realists than the gang on this forum.

What we are preparing for -- most of us -- are the very things that are the biggest threats to our way of life, not the threats likely to end our life. One good thing about all the news regarding the US credit downgrade, the political fighting over the deficit, the rioting in London - Philly - Milwaukee - Greece, the skyrocketing price of gold, the drop in the Dow; one good thing about this news is that it's starting to wake people up. Not all of them, and not most to the point of preparedness, but just a glimmer of threat and fear, that all may not be as benign as the gubmint would have us believe.

If you can read the numbers: 5 million on welfare, 48 million on food stamps, 8 million on unemployment compensation, 50 million on Medicaid, 10.5 million on SSI; then you can understand why those who figure the gubmint will take care of us in a catastrophe, are wrong. Add to this the fact that with their "just in time" systems, the supermarkets have about 3 days worth of food. All it would take is a truckers' strike over the price of diesel, and without so much as a rain storm, we'd all be affected. Pretty sobering thoughts.

I doubt if most of us here give a whole lot of thought to "out-gunning" the mobs in the streets. Lie low, keep a low profile. Don't let the whole neighborhood know what you have stashed in the pantry, the basement, the garage. If something bad should happen, practice light discipline, noise discipline, trash discipline. Keep the vehicles gassed up at half tank or more. Know how to get the family assembled using at least 2 methods. Common-sense stuff.

Always remember Katrina. A fine portrait of FEMA in action!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,298,037 times
I agree: practically none among us has the funds, resources, time or space to prepare for ALL eventualities. We all do the best we can with what we've got.

I have plans and resources to get me and my family through the first six months or so following a cataclysmic disaster. Beyond that, we will have to begin scrounging and gathering and making the things we will need to continue. I also have much of the knowledge, skills and resources needed to help that come to pass.

Are my plans and preparations perfect? Not just "no", but "Heck no!" Will they work?

Question: "What do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhinoceros?"

Answer: "Elephino!" (Say it aloud.)

Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Nice one

Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,121,528 times
I think the whole point is (and one that a lot of folks don't grasp, preppers or not) is that "Things" won't save you. No matter how much food, ammo, whatever you have stored away, you'll eventually run out, if you don't have the knowledge or ability to grow/build/find more. What will save you is the ability to create - to either breed animals, grow food, or make things that no one else can - or to RE-create - fix things that, in our throwaway, plastic-dependent society, are tossed into the garbage or landfill as useless, because someone doesn't know how to replace a spring or clean a carb, or to cut up torn material and make something else.

I get kidded a LOT because I could've just bought two cows and paid to have them artificially inseminated every year. But no, I bought a bull, too - because what if, later on, there is no access to a breeder bull? Sure it would have been cheaper - in the short run. But in the long run, my little herd is self-perpetuating, beef and milk on the hoof, as long as they do what comes naturally. Sure, I could just buy hens every three years - but why not have a rooster around and have a self-perpetuating flock, fresh chicken in the freezer every year?

Always think in the long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness