Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

You need to cut the welds with a whizz wheel most of the way thru, but not quite all the way. Then cluck one in a vise and wack the cut one with a hammer to break it off, and still have weld to clean up on the shaft. Same thing on the other blade, but cucking the shaft will be harder to do, if the plan is save the shaft at all.

What is the black round thing? lower left in the pic?

What is the larger circle part with the top blade going thru a slot in the upper part of the pic and a straight edge lower in the pic? This heavy part appears to be one with the blade shaft. The shaft is going into a gear drive. Will that gear drive be saved for the wind mill?

What converter will be used to convert ACV to DCV? Or will you use a rectifier/regulator to sink away AC current, to take DC current?

What DCV voltage are you aiming for? 12 dcv or 24 dcv?
This is a AC motor, but what current does it run on? 120 acv, or 220 acv?

I hope you have good air tools to get the whizz wheel up to cutting speed. You will need some serious tooling for this project. The dremel might whizz wheel this, but it will take more time and many wheels with the fiber board check pattern to make a dent in that weld. That weld is going to be real rugged.

I of course have never done this, so I won't 'just know' lots of stuff.
I almost wonder if leaving the blades on as a fly wheel might be a better idea.

Silvertips will be along and have more questions probably. Listen to what he says too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessdrone View Post
I have tested the motor, I get about 15v to 20ish volts by twisting it by hand with the blade and mounting bracket in the way.
How do you do this? How is the dcv meter set up, what battery power is used to run and make these volts?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 23,866 times
I'm not sure if I'll be keeping any of the gear box, it would mean that I would need to windmill to rotate more times to get the motor to turn once (everything is now running backwards on the motor to have the motor supply power instead of take power). I think I will need to weld a new shaft onto the main shaft/gear, whatever is in there. The black round thing is my light base, lol. I'm sure this will give me 24dcv. I'll use a bridge rectifier, or maybe a charge controller(and likely both), not that far yet lol. It runs on 110, or (120).
Testing the power being generated by the motor, just hook up you leads from DVOM to the motors 2 wires, (these wires are now the power output, once in a windmill) spin the shaft and it will give you a general reading (not super accurate but an idea).

Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
ohhh man! just break loose with some money and buy something! Your gonna chop somebody into to dogmeat with that thing!!!!!Be flipping careful if you get that deal spinning!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM

By the way the motor is out of a Flowtron CS 3500 chipper/shredder. I can't find much on it online. it is a 12A 5HP.
And right now the motor shaft/gear doesn't want to come out of the gearbox. Time for a beer.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM

LOL my54ford, it isn't hooked up to power and I took the blades out already. What you see in the pic is the blade holder and weights to help it chop and shred. It has no threat left in it. Thank you fopr the concern though. Not the average hillbilly here, lol.
Plus if I were to buy one I would be looking at a couple hundred and I got this for free. Wasn't expecting a gearbox that wants to be a pain though.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM

Check this out for general idea of what I'm doing.

Homemade Wind Turbines - Why Should You Make Your Own Wind Turbine? - YouTube
Only better I hope, lol

Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM

I am wicked busy today, and my head isn't geared to run backwards yet.

I am a bit confused as to just spinning a ACV motor, gets a DCV reading, with out a powered source, and no field coil, or ground.

Repeat that test, and reverse the meter leads.

Get the gear box ratio to, you may not want prop speed to be 1:1 with the motor.

I am on 56K dial up, so I will allow the video to load all day while I am gone

Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 PM

ha, okay, I'll let ya know when I get the shaft off what the gear ratio is. Can't spin it free hand now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness