Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 PM

191 posts, read 180,860 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Inflammatory every shot you fire will call in a dozen killers. :-) kid stuff, 12 year olds know better, if they have any field experience. The wild game will all be gone in a month, dude, the fish in another month. I've done 4 months at a time in a small room, several times, no breaks, with just another man to speak too, and as many more by myself, and in most cases, i'd have preferred to be alone, actually. having most of US to myself, a year after shtf, is pretty appealing, actually. Man, boots, guns, ammo, housing, diesel fuel, generators, etc, will be lying all OVER the place, so why bother to make any such things? It will be many years before such work is necessary.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-28-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have lived rural almost my whole life and never in NH run into any crazed back woodsmen unless I am it. Depending on attitudes displayed I can be your best friend or your worst enemy, but I don't start out as a enemy.
Ok, so I'm picturing a naked Mac Muz on the business end of a gun with one eye squinched shut and the other one with a crazy glint in it and growling, "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. . ."

I tried to start a fire with a magnifying glass once and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Of course no one would be stupid enough to head out into the woods without at least a lighter and there probably isn't enough wildlife to go around, but I figure that a lot of people will get carried off by disease long before they starve to death.

Like I said though, I wouldn't go off by myself--I'm thinking that living in a community would be wiser, and a commune of likeminded people even wiser, but wisest would be to go live in that commune and get situated long before tshtf. Most of us don't have the woodland skills we need--I can start a campfire with one match and I'm a pretty good shot, but I don't have what it takes to survive in the woods.

Oh I agree with the above poster who said that we'd all make pretty bad slaves--how true. But as an institution it wouldn't get going in earnest till things settled down. Before that point they'd just use you up and throw you away.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Ok, so I'm picturing a naked Mac Muz on the business end of a gun with one eye squinched shut and the other one with a crazy glint in it and growling, "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. . ."

I tried to start a fire with a magnifying glass once and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Of course no one would be stupid enough to head out into the woods without at least a lighter and there probably isn't enough wildlife to go around, but I figure that a lot of people will get carried off by disease long before they starve to death.

Like I said though, I wouldn't go off by myself--I'm thinking that living in a community would be wiser, and a commune of likeminded people even wiser, but wisest would be to go live in that commune and get situated long before tshtf. Most of us don't have the woodland skills we need--I can start a campfire with one match and I'm a pretty good shot, but I don't have what it takes to survive in the woods.

Oh I agree with the above poster who said that we'd all make pretty bad slaves--how true. But as an institution it wouldn't get going in earnest till things settled down. Before that point they'd just use you up and throw you away.

Only 1/2 naked, unless I am really angery So far being really angery naked with a gun in my hand causes everyone to want to leave really bad.

Chances are a strange stranger would see something like this if he ever saw me at all.

If I had not wanted to be seen for a photo-op I sure would not have been seen at all.

For 3 full years, starting in a Sept and ending in a Sept, we lived like this.

There is a fire in the lodge, and you can see smoke.

This is the kitchen around Thanks giving complete with a metal cooler so rodents can't chew into it.

Here is a barrel stove, made for making maple sugar, and converted to use as a grill, skillet, and oven.

I can make fire with a 18th century Flint N' Steel in under 10 seconds, and with a bow drill in 120 seconds every time.

I make my clothing, from head to toe anytime i want. These consist of mocs, moc boots,
leather pants, shirts, vests of wool, great coats, and capot's, a blanket coat. I can make a coat of any blanket with a blanket pin and a belt, that creats a hood, and sleeves. I made my own Balmora Bonnets too, which are a tool kit, once done.

Inside that hat is a coil of linen thread just inside the band, with a few brass fish hooks. The feathers are held by 2 needles sewn in place. The sterling silver brooch I made as well and it is real sterling, so I have a trade item oof a real value, anytime I wear the hat.

This hand forged knife is tied to the ribbon that adjusts the hat, and is slipped into the hat band.

I can tell you thar's no bloomin way I am going to shack up in any small room for 4 months at a time.

I know many wild edibles here, and can sugar them with no help. Salt would be a problem, mostly meaning a 60 mile walk, not that big a deal, as that would just be a 4 days hike to the sea. (In dead winter I can cover more than 15 miles in a day in the higher places)

Since I lived like this before, I am pretty sure i can anytime i want. My wife pictured in the winter kitchen knows we can. We did take showers everyother day in winter. It's part of staying dry .

All we did was boil 1 gallon of water, add it to a canvass shower bag I made, and then add cold water to suit. Hang the bag between 2 trees and stand in the great wide open to shower, with the other watching the amount of water, so we could get soap free. In Shtf I recommend Castile Peppermint mulitipurpose soap for so long as it will last.

You can do your hair, brush your teeth, and wash a body everywhere almost.

I figure a nice guy in shtf will feed you 1 meal and expect you to leave. I will do that. Not leaving might be a problem, and it might not, depending on if you see things my way.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Since one of the themes of the original post was the Appalachian Trail, a good resource to learn much more about nearly every aspect of that trail is the WhiteBlaze.net forum.

WhiteBlaze - Appalachian Trail

It's pretty much 'the' hiking forum on the Internet, particularly as it relates to hiking the big trails in the United States. It's geared more towards the Appalachian Trail, but much discussion is also had about the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), Continental Divide Trail (CDT), Florida Trail (FT), North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT), Pacific Northwest Trail (PNT), John Muir Trail, and many others.

You want to know about the "latest and greatest" gear? Read that forum.

Want to know where virtually every single water source can be found on some of those trails, especially the AT? Read and inquire on that forum.

Want to know how you can get good maps and guidebooks for that (or other) trail? Read the forum.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM

In NH most any sporting goods stores, and book stores have the AT Guide books. These come with maps, but you can buy better water proof maps. The At is apx 35 miles to my west, but cuts a track heading Northeast, lesser distance away. Much the maps are stuck in my head. From the Ossipee's not in the AT books to past the Pilots.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM

43 posts, read 53,824 times
Why not give "living off the land" a good test before you choose it as your survival plan? How about you and like-minded buddy hiking into some backwoods area in the dead of winter, taking only what you can carry on your backs, and seeing if you and your trusty rifles can do two weeks of roughing it? Just remember to carry your GPS device, a terrain map, and some sort of communication device in case you need rescue. I would love to hear the results of your real-life test of living off the land.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Can't remember the name of a movie based on true events, apologize. Its about farmers and other people that lived and worked off the land, knew it like the back of their hand. They had guns, could make bows/arrows and set traps. Started out with a handful of people. But since they were being hunted they kept moving. Within a short time more people joined and there was safety in numbers.

This film is the only movie, let alone a book, I ever watched where during the Holocaust hundreds of Jewish people survived not because of guns for using them was sparse since the noise could give away where they hid. No, it was their knowledge, wits and brave moves. Including choices not always easy. They shared and gave thanks.

If, God forbid, the people in America comes to any form of a huge collapse it won't be, like many think and some hope which is sad, due to a wrathful, angry God. No, God is a Love with no conditions and desires we love Him and each other. I'm no scientists, no degrees, don't have a lot of things and stuff. Sure ain't rich with money but rich in love and blessed. But as an old saying, "You dig your own hole." How?

Well, it ain't just the USA. Europe has the same problem. Japan too but it already happened to them in the '80s and they still ain't climbed out of their hole, but very slowly they are. Credit card drbt and flippin houses. Pert near 30 years ago. But, now we all have a bit more to figure and spell on. The climate ain't just because of people. The sun figues in with sun spots and solar flares. If someone doesn't think its not important, well, to me that's like saying a ocean eartguake 2000 miles away won't hit land. It does. How big and how many waves depends on how big and where the earthquake is at.

For now I stay. But, if I lived on the side of a mountain that, like St Helens was going to blow, I think it would be hard to sit on my rocker and blow like the gentleman...was his name Hoover? Like the President?

Anyway, I really enjoyed that movie. Was heart lifting. There is always blessings. I feel blessed to type. Is a one finger but I am blessed with two eyes. : )

Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
PS Just for fun, does anyone know how to make fire from ice?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycitygal View Post
PS Just for fun, does anyone know how to make fire from ice?
Yup sure do........ Do you want me to say how?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycitygal View Post
Can't remember the name of a movie based on true events, apologize. Its about farmers and other people that lived and worked off the land, knew it like the back of their hand. They had guns, could make bows/arrows and set traps. Started out with a handful of people. But since they were being hunted they kept moving. Within a short time more people joined and there was safety in numbers.

This film is the only movie, let alone a book, I ever watched where during the Holocaust hundreds of Jewish people survived not because of guns for using them was sparse since the noise could give away where they hid. No, it was their knowledge, wits and brave moves. Including choices not always easy. They shared and gave thanks.

If, God forbid, the people in America comes to any form of a huge collapse it won't be, like many think and some hope which is sad, due to a wrathful, angry God. No, God is a Love with no conditions and desires we love Him and each other. I'm no scientists, no degrees, don't have a lot of things and stuff. Sure ain't rich with money but rich in love and blessed. But as an old saying, "You dig your own hole." How?

Well, it ain't just the USA. Europe has the same problem. Japan too but it already happened to them in the '80s and they still ain't climbed out of their hole, but very slowly they are. Credit card drbt and flippin houses. Pert near 30 years ago. But, now we all have a bit more to figure and spell on. The climate ain't just because of people. The sun figues in with sun spots and solar flares. If someone doesn't think its not important, well, to me that's like saying a ocean eartguake 2000 miles away won't hit land. It does. How big and how many waves depends on how big and where the earthquake is at.

For now I stay. But, if I lived on the side of a mountain that, like St Helens was going to blow, I think it would be hard to sit on my rocker and blow like the gentleman...was his name Hoover? Like the President?

Anyway, I really enjoyed that movie. Was heart lifting. There is always blessings. I feel blessed to type. Is a one finger but I am blessed with two eyes. : )
This is true...... No tools or amount of tools people have will save them if they don't also have brains and a mind set to survive.

if this county suffers any extreme disaster on a national scale the govt will not be there to help. A point will come when the govt just closes shop and people will be left to their own devices.

The old, very young and weak will die. nature will do what nature does and that will weed out more weak.

During that time people will be monsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness