Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You're the one talking about anarchy; you're the one advocating violence against a merchant because you decided he's being unfair. If you don't like someone's price, don't buy from him. That's how civilized people do it. We don't beat people for pricing what they own at the price they wish. That's your idea. That's true anarchy; the rule of the mob is the opposite of a republic.
It's probably not worth pressing the semantic issue here, as it was just a passing comment, and so I probably shouldn't derail any further.... but anarchy doesn't imply beating people or stealing to get what one wants. People already do naughty things, even with the omnipresence of government and tens of thousands of laws. That is because it is not government, or anarchism, which is the cause of that problem. The fundamental root are peoples beliefs, which then has a direct bearing on what actions they elect to take which comports with their beliefs.

The castaways on 'Gilligans Island' did not turn into stark raving maniacs the minute they landed on the island, much less when the left the imaginary line of U.S. waters (even though some federal law still actually applies outside our borders - that legal nuance aside). On the island, they were outside the de facto reach of any government. It was the castaways belief system which derived from what they believed, that let the castaways live in relative harmony.

The tired o' saw about "Somalia" merely goes to reinforce the aforementioned point. They do those things over there because they have the 'wrong' ethics (from our standpoint), and they consequently then act according to their depraved ethics. And many of those animals would absolutely be animals regardless of whether there was any law or so-called "official body of people" (a.k.a. government) to try to constrain them or not, since as we all know, "criminals are criminals" because they don't follow the laws to begin with, as the U.S. unfortunately so aptly (and unfortunately) illustrates such that we have the greatest amount of reported crime in the world, despite also having the most powerful government and most philisophically deep legal system in the world (call it "advanced," call it "bloated and bureaucratic," or be overly-generous and call it 'philisophically rich/deep' - whichever you find more fitting).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 08-28-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
FTA,

I do not support the view of Thomas Hobbes that without government all is savage chaos, certainly anarchy. Hobbes further believed that once a government was formed, it gained an absolute right to exist in perpetuity. Rather I believe John Locke whose thesis was that of a group of individuals coming together voluntarily and entering into an agreement which can be terminated at anytime,

Anarchy denotes chaos while anarchism is a social system without government and its cocommitant coercion. Sadly, anarchism as a word has frequently been perverted into a description of communism of the most extreme sort, e.g. the government of the anarchists at Zaragoza during the Spanish Civil War. I am aware that that term is an oxymoron. But it's true.

I find it interesting, but not surprising, that the individual who has expressed contempt and hatred of business people in this thread has frequently bragged about her government employment.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Closing in on 7 am and we still have power in the house. winds aren't bad yet, but lots of rain. subpump is working hard, just a little water in the basement. it shuts down when it gets overheated, so we check on it often. My brother's a paramedic and just came over after his shift to sleep here. He said there are a lot of trees down, power lines down and flooding. I expect we'll lose power when the eye passes. This neighborhood has been quiet, we even got sleep last night.

Be well everyone.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Making my list for Hurricane Irene and composing an email for my nephew and niece (and others). How much cash would you recommend people have on hand in case this gets bad for us? It's been mentioned before, but I don't know which threads.
200, not much more than that because I believe if you have everything else in place, then u shouldn't need to spend to much.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:03 PM

191 posts, read 180,768 times
10k? you are out of your MIND, dude! 1k, maybe, but the rest belongs in gold coins. the price of gold, in US $ at least, is going nowhere but up. It has nearly doubled in less than one year, and it's 5x what it was in 2003! The rest of the world KNOWS that we are simply printing more and more $, with nothing to back them up, folks. They are dumping US $ for gold, to protect themselves from the loss so guaranteed by our inflation.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:09 PM

that is SUCH bs about toilet paper. Sure, it is handy, so are old catalogues and phone books. So are soap and water, and they aint nearly as bulky and don't rot away in 2 years, either. Stocking much tp is just baloney. Most of the world's population doesn't have access to it, or as in France, doesn't want it. They use bidets.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM

831 posts, read 680,087 times
As much as one can spare though it should be in coins.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 PM

what coins? current US coins, of NO value for their metal? Bad, bad idea. Gold, at nearly 2k per oz, 12 troy ozs per lb, is nearly 24k per lb, very easy to carry substantial wealth with gold. 1/10 oz coins are recognizalbe/accepted when cut in half with a chisel. they cost no more per oz than a 1 oz coin, if you don't deal with thieves. Try The Coin Shop, Farmington, NM. Dont give someone an oz of gold for a loaf of bread. Give him 1/20th of an oz, for a bushel of grain instead! don't bother to make flour and bake it, crack it so your body can digest it, and make porridge instead. Much, much better tactics. Silver is too bulky, heavy, easily mined. Since it is no longer used much in photography, it is a drug on the market, really,. Gold sees lots of use in computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness