Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Glad your ok. yes a generatro and enough heavy electric cords plus a fewe fans as at times it maybe the heat that is worse part in some.We keep like four fans that we are confortable with on genrator power.We rarely have ice storms etc but when we do we have natural gas for heaters and we always keep a portable unit plus have two permanent bathroom units.Funny that we are more prepared for cold than heat without elctricity really. I am goig to install a natural gas generator like many here have that is automatic transfer for minor hurricanes we do not evacuate for.Anyothing over a mild cat 2 and I am gone ;I saw the difference between ike;Humbeto and Rita in wind danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM

560 posts, read 848,855 times
Well... came home from work tonight to no water. Answering service for the water company said a leak had been reported on our road (only 9 houses on this road). Took a drive up to check it out and repair crew was there but said couldn't do anything tonight.

They turned water back on and will start work tomorrow and guess what their suggestion was? Fill the bathtubs and whatever else you can just in case! Not an emergency situation, but an inconvenience that might run longer than we like depending on what they run into.

Oddly coincidental with Nor's earlier post.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Seems like the phones back there are not working too well. I have talked to several people on the East coast, and the landlines just are not consistent right now. Cell phone use is what people are relying on. I had a handcrank lamp, that had a cell phone charger on top. Cool little gadget for camping, and power outages.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Glad you're ok. I've been through several hurricanes when I lived on the East Coast and in the South. The are never pleasant, but at least it's been a good test of your preps

Personally, if there is even the slightest worry that you're going to be without water... fill the tub and all available vessels, and FORGET about flushing the toilet -- that's what buckets and porta-potties are for! During on NC hurricane, we lost potable water for two weeks -- 3 days due to power issues at the main pumping station, then another 10 because the storm surge had contaminated the water supply (teach me to live in a swamp, eh?). When a vital utility could be cut off for an indefinite time period, always best not to waste what you have when there are other methods available

Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
There is a really good gennie here, which runs the house and the shop, but it gives me a headache to hear it days on end. Being here is the first place I ever had access to a gennie, and I could live better with out it.

If I remain here longer I will have to build a portable gennie shed, to be out of sight in power grid days and be in sight with the gennie in it, to tone down that dull thump of a engine, or some how make it sound like a Harley I can sort of deal with that sound, but I have no harley.

I keep a car radio just for this reason, and have one of those battery jump start packs. That contains a 18Ah (Ah = Amp hour) battery, much like a bike battery, a computer back up battery, or a golf cart/lawn mower battery.

It will run 1 amp 18 hours, or 18 amps 1 hour.

With a few moments of tinkering you could use a pc back up battery in a storm for 12dcv as well. You can charge it back up with any car in around 10 minutes, or if you have a gennie charge it while you use it, with it's own acv adapter or a 12 volt maintainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness