Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Good for you! I have an Omega 8004. I liked it because if you lose power you can detach the auger to a manual base and still have your juice. I considered getting the one you got as my prior juicers were the centrifugal kind and they would juice fruits especially in a second and the VRT 350 seems to handle fruit and carrots better too but it can't be used manually. (I had a Juiceman 2 for years but it was terrible at doing greens).
UPDATE: My juicer arrived. I was in love at first glance. It's a heavy little thing! Ridiculously easy to clean!

Then I returned it. I know, sad, huh? It was just far more trouble than it was worth. I learned how to juice properly with it but still had trouble. Even baby carrots would jam the machine and I'd have to reverse out of it. When it jams, it's loud! I tried juicing a pineapple and, while it juiced some of it, a lot of it stayed inside the machine un-juiced. It wouldn't even come out the pulp ejection shoot (which clogged up a lot). Greens came out as foam, not juice.

Then there's the pulp. I don't mind some pulp. But, this wasn't a normal amount of pulp. It was like I put everything in a blender and pureed it instead. I had to strain the juice from the pulp. That was even harder than it should have been. The pulp was so thick the juice couldn't drain through! I had to press the pulp and squeeze it. It took soooo long to do that it just wasn't worth it.

So, instead, I went with the Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor. I took my 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond and got a great price. Sadly, I have to wait for it to arrive. They (and everyone else) have been out of it for a long time. Apparently it was featured on a TV show and now everyone's ordering it. I was VERY lucky and hit Bed Bath and Beyond's website when they suddenly had a couple in stock - then quickly sold out.

I wanted the quality juice a single auger gives but for all the trouble it was, I'll happily take a minute amount of oxidation over the speed and ease of use of the centrifugal juicer. It's demonstrated in the short video below.

Apple Celery Beet Juice Recipe - YouTube

If this juicer doesn't work out, I'm going for the Hurricane. It's a hand-powered, single auger juicer. I'll just live with the fact that I have to hand-crank my juice.

Last edited by plain and simple; 09-18-2011 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:25 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It helps if you do it under the guidance of experts or at least someone else who has done it before successfully if you don't know what you are doing.
What makes you assume I didn't. Please drop it.

It's off-topic at any rate.

Last edited by SusqueHappy; 09-19-2011 at 06:12 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
plain and simple, you need the 'Gallager Juicer' LOL

Fir just $19.95 I can make you one of real maple from NH USA. These can be customized with a handle of 30 inches plus, by your spec.

No WAIT I can send 2 for just $19.95, with a little additional shipping........ (j/k)

Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Fir just $19.95 I can make you one of real maple from NH USA. These can be customized with a handle of 30 inches plus, by your spec.

No WAIT I can send 2 for just $19.95, with a little additional shipping........ (j/k)
LOL Honestly. I wish people would stop advertising on CD. Not everyone is a gullible *******.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

ROFL! I tell you what, if this new juicer doesn't work out, I'll give you a call! So what if I have to wipe my juice off the walls and the ceiling! At least the Gallagher juicer WORKS!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
LOL Honestly. I wish people would stop advertising on CD. Not everyone is a gullible *******.
I haven't seen anyone advertise on CD. Just in case you're referring to my posts with the YouTube videos attached, those aren't advertisements. Those are references so people who are interested can see what the item is that's being talked about. I'm not selling anything. The videos aren't even mine so it's not a sneaky way to get views on YouTube. If you read the thread through then you'll see that I actually returned the first juicer I linked to because it wasn't working well for me.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
I think that was meant for Mac, as kind of a TIC dig...
Calm down. We pick on each other a lot -all in fun - here.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Advertizing? Who ME

Naw man, I was tawkin' a wicked big hammer or a maul, made of the finest rock maple NH can produce, and straight from the fire wood pile with a big stick for a handel. 15 pounds of un-leashed hell for a orange.

At least it won't break, even if a 460 pound man at 7 ' 4" gives it a swing. But it might be a little messy indoors.

My wife bought a cheap junk Chinese radio/cassett, CD player and for no good reason other than it is wally world cheap chinese junk it died this afternoon. I tested the batterys in case that was it, and it wasn't. That thing isn't worthy of my time, so in the trash it goes. It will be back one day, in the form of some other cheap Chinese junk.

Come to think of it maybe I should build the Juicier and use it on that radio......

plain and simple would you be interested in a slighty used Gallager Juicier?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I think that was meant for Mac, as kind of a TIC dig...
Calm down. We pick on each other a lot -all in fun - here.
Got it. Thanks SCGranny. And my apologies to kinkytoes. Honestly, I've just had a very, very long day where it was impossible to please anyone and everything got laid on my doorstep when I wasn't even there! :::sigh:::

I really am sorry if I sounded frustrated.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Got it. Thanks SCGranny. And my apologies to kinkytoes. Honestly, I've just had a very, very long day where it was impossible to please anyone and everything got laid on my doorstep when I wasn't even there! :::sigh:::

I really am sorry if I sounded frustrated.
That's OK!
We all pretty much hang out here, in a nice comfortable rational playful atmosphere, to swap stories and ideas about prepping. Those who want to play the games they play in "Politics and Other Controversies" or other I-hate-you-look-at-meeee forums soon wander away, get schmacked down by regulars, or, if they get really obnoxious, get booted. You're safe here.

Well, relatively speaking. Watch out for Mac's Gallagher juicer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness