Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,667,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I assume that means your freezer if full - do you have any concerns about a power outage?
Not just the freezer (and considering we are now dropping into the overnights of freezing temps, that will stay low and keep dropping until June - making my back porch a freezer! ) - we also can, dehydrate, make jerky, and the air here is dry enough to hang salted/sugared/smoked meats. Our basement is also cement block and stays cool; When we get snow we have to seal the back basement egress to keep the icy winds and snow out of the basement- the 10-foot sloped and shelved egress also works conveniently as a freezer.

Although I see where most places have electric companies that are doubling their charges starting next month "to pay for grid upgrades", we have very low electric bills here. Nebraska not only produces their own electricity, they produce about 162% of what they need, and sell it to surrounding states. Nevertheless, part of our ongoing plans are to become energy-self-sufficient. We'll use "theirs" as long as it is supplied/we can afford it, but we have alternatives and are working on more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times
Sounds good Granny. I grew up in Lincoln. I remember the days of riding our bikes to the edge of town to go to the drive-in, and walking home, some 40 blocks, after closing the bar. The thought of being afraid, never occured to me. It was a great place to grow up.

I've been thinking about this, and can't get my head around how this is going to go down. If money is worthless, how are we supposed to pay our mortgages or rents?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Sounds good Granny. I grew up in Lincoln. I remember the days of riding our bikes to the edge of town to go to the drive-in, and walking home, some 40 blocks, after closing the bar. The thought of being afraid, never occured to me. It was a great place to grow up.

I've been thinking about this, and can't get my head around how this is going to go down. If money is worthless, how are we supposed to pay our mortgages or rents?
Rent might be tough. If the owner has not mortgage you might be able to work something out.

If you have your own home and a mortgage..get that sucker paid off.
Then you only need to worry about the property taxes.

Go read up on the Great Depression. People without debt had better chances of normal living.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Frightening post, but you give me some direction to plan for. As granny said, better to invest in things such as food, guns, security. Any idea how long we have - a year or two? What about the idea that the world revovles around the dollar, so their economies would collapse before ours? In other words, wouldn't we be the last to go down? I'm on a well, should I still stock water?
Grub (food water)
Ground (to grow food & get water)
Gas (energy resources)
Guns (or other tools for lawful personal protection)
Gold (or other alternative currency)
God (if you have a heart/spirit so inclined)

I'm going to suggest that one prepares NOW so that you don't have to worry later. Everytime the economic and political pendulums swing they become more volitile and unstable.

Nothing may happen or something very bad may happen. It hurts you not to be prepared for the worst.

At no other time in history have the economies of the world been so intertwined. Therefore, if the depression and instability that some predict may come happens, it will be like so very bad like nothing we have ever seen before in all of human history.

Time is short.
Robert Kiyosaki / Mike Maloney Discuss Preparing for the Coming Crash 2012 - YouTube

It suprised the heck out of me to see rich entrepeneurs discussing TEOTWAWKI

SCGranny has the most practical way to prepare and survive for most of , IMO. Do what you are able as soon as you are able.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 10-07-2011 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,854,288 times
[quote=claudhopper;21175781]According to this guy, and I do think he knows what he's talking about, the stock market will crash. He says that people will wake up one day soon, and find that their savings have been wiped out.
So we pull our savings out of the bank, and do what? If we already have gold n silver, is it a good idea to just sit on cash? A few thousand?

Reality: If things really crash, there's not much you can do. Set some cash aside...but it's always possible cash with be worthless. Maybe even buy one of those funds or ETFs that short the stock market (but don't go crazy with it)

IMO, I think Lifelongmogal nailed what we need to be doing in her post.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-07-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 PM

In both Germany and Argentina, the value of 'cash' fell so fast that the popular descriptive usually goes - in the morning you could buy a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow full of it... in the afternoon it would take two wheelbarrows. It lost value so rapidly that people would collect their pay from their employers, and by the time they could make it to the store or the banks, it would lose half of its issued purchasing value. You see, it isn't the fact that the dollar isn't a dollar any more - it's sole worth is what it can be traded for. Even though the price of gas is "high" - it would not be so extremely high were it not for the fact that a dollar doesn't have the value it used to; dollars have been slowly losing value.

Same thing happened with the Confederate dollar here in the US... when it fell, you could use the paper they were written on as "shin plasters" (which is what they were called), and they made excellent fire starters. My favorite all-time novel, "Gone With The Wind" is often superficially seen as a chick-flick "love story" - what it describes in livid detail is the collapse of a civilization, how people dealt with it, how it affected and disrupted their lives, from their core beliefs to how they lived.

No matter how carefully and beautifully you engrave them, when they are no longer acceptable as legal tender, paper dollars are worthless. (And so are most of the pot metal coins, too.) However, if you want to see how some people manipulate value, watch "It's a Wonderful Life" - As much as we all love Jimmy Stewart, it's Mr. Potter who knows what's really going on, when he tries to buy everyone's money for "10 cents on the dollar" - i.e., trading them a dime for a dollar so that they have some cash in their hands, while he buys and holds the dollars. There are a lot of Mr Potters manipulating value right now. The key is to understand that "dollars" are not important - value is. What is a loaf of bread or an egg worth to a starving man - and what are they worth to someone with a warehouse full of wheat or a chicken farm? Think, reason, and don't panic because you can't control the behavior of others - you can only control your own. It's not how low the dollar will go - it's what you need and what you can trade for it, that matters.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 PM

Collapse Of The U.S. Economy Is Near - YouTube

Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 AM

We can prevent this total collapse

Ron Paul's Urgent Warning On The Inevitable Collapse Of The Dollar - YouTube

Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 AM

593 posts, read 887,713 times
Without going into detail and creating a read to establish a wisdom platform I'am begging all Americans to get "prepared" for the so-called economoc earthquake predicted by renowned experts Larry Bates and the late Larry Berkett. The economic collapse will precipitate a need for survival and mostly rests on food,water,supplies preparedness . If you have your middleclass head up your rear you won't "get'this", but just listen and listen carefully. As a middleclass cluless fool I finally got prepared and now I'm a middleclass quasi-fool (a lesser fool) because I now have a food pantry,dehydrated emergency food and finally a pet pantry for Ali!!!! duh! (crank flashlights,cash,meds,fuel (chaffing burners a case),tools,Seychelle water filters.,Food for health products,radio (crank/batt) toilet paper,port-a-potty,chemicals for potty,grab and go bags ,first aid kit,whistle,and stuff).

Das

During economic collapse stay inside so people don't kill you and come in a steal your remaining
supplies or eat your greyhound mix. Perhaps breaking your prized Precious Memories knick knack!!

Last edited by DASULAR17; 10-08-2011 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: formating

Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Most folks aren't listening, aren't paying attention. The attitude is "Well, I've got mine, too bad about those others". The Tea Party's anger was swiftly and purposefully co-opted by people like Glenn Beck so that it would not result in pandemonium and full revolt. (3 years before the Tea Party, Beck was on the other side of the fence, laughing at and making fun of those who wanted a return to the Constitution, who wanted to eliminate the Fed Reserve.) The oil of "vote for these nice Republicans who will save you!" was poured out upon the Tea Party, to turn them away from the Constitution. The "Wall Street" protesters will be co-opted the same way. Most folks know that something is wrong, dammit, but they haven't the economic education to understand the fullness of it, and they don't want to be called Conspiracy Theorists or tinfoil hat people - or be called enemies of the State and have that fist come down on them. EVERY revolution that has been or will be attempted will be assauged, diminished, or led to believe that some Saviour or other shall rise up and lead them to prosperity. People are desperate to believe in something, anything - and will follow charisma rather than ability.

As much as I loathe Obama and his policies, as much as I loathed Bush II and his policies, I did not/do not fear them. I fear the dictator who will rise on the vox populi, who will promise to lead to prosperity, and who will do as Dr Paul said, and increase the State's power to impoverish, accuse, incarcerate, and destroy people - using Greenspan's & Bernanke's policies, and all of the Executive Orders that Bush and Obama have instituted to further control and enslave the populace - by their own pleadings to be saved. It is for this reason that we moved as far away from people as possible, and have aggressively started living our private lives - while 'rubbing blue mud in our belly buttons' and proclaiming loyalty to any god they put up to be worshipped. Unlike Dr Paul, I have lost faith in people's ability to pull us out of this mess - most are too simple-minded and easily led to make their own decisions or declare their rights under the Constitution. When it comes, it will come, not in spite of the peoples' outcries, but because of them - and their demands to be led.

Don't be led. Make your own plans, survive your own way, Sit down and think, determine what you will need - not for 3 or six months, but for sustainability - and calmly and rationally go after it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness