Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Must make a point to see that flick too. Not so sure I am game to cut out my appendix alone, but if I get lucky I will never get to find out.
When I started visiting this forum, one of the first thoughts I had was, "soooo glad I had an appendectomy last year!" LOL

I think you could do it Mac!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Sorry, I am soooo bored with all of the "we're all gonna DIE!" movies.

Yeah, we are. Eventually. Probably not by vampires, zombies, or aliens, though.

I think of viruses and bacteria as god's (any god, you pick) stealthy little cleanup squad. Every time man gets too big for his britches, WHAM - a plague or a flu or some little bug turns him right back into a shrieking, me-first-to-heck-with-you barbarian. The only ones who survive are the ones who were already halfway there anyway... NOT usually the loving kind hero who sacrifices his girlfriend or his sacred honor to save others. (I'd hate to be playing the girlfriend in those flicks - kinda like the blonde who always is the first to get it in the slasher movies, or the red-shirts in Star Trek. )

I like watching the little CDC maps during influenza season, especially during H1N1.... ooooh, that state was orange now it's red... look how many red dots have popped up in that country in a month's time... what if...

Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
FYI- I've read The Road and it's pretty clear that the human race is going to go extinct from the event that occurred in the book. The main characters futile gestures are lost on most of the people that have read the book since they gloss over the writers comments about the state of the environment and focus on the human elements.

Reminds me of the science channel review on what would happen if aliens really came to earth and wanted to settle down. We'd be fkd. lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Contagion as it is being used in the news media regarding the financial crisis, refers to the spreading of bankruptcy, default, and systemic risk within the banking system and within sovereign debt of countries and states, as in the Eurozone and the states within the US.

Example: German banks hold the sovereign bonds of Greece, Spain, Portugal, and Italy. If Greece defaults, the German banks take a haircut, but not too big of a one, as Greece is just a small country. But if Italy looks at what's happening, and decides to follow Greece's example by defaulting on its sovereign debt, the German (and US) banks take a much bigger hit, perhaps becoming insolvent themselves, and this is called "contagion".

The bad news: This is what's about to happen. Will be better than any movie, ever.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I did like the movie The Road, think that I may have to read the book.
Excellent idea! The author is Cormac McCarthy.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
The premise of Contagion is not at all unlikely, as the world has seen innmumerable virus and infections cirle the globe recently.

The coordination of the CDC worldwide during the bird flu and swine flu crisis, have given promise to the fact that well organized and measured controls are in place to challenge epidemics----even if they start in areas of the world that are unprepared for control.

Life is but a series of continuing challenges and efforts-----I am sure there will new viruses developing in the future that provide a threat to areas of the world.

It remains in the hands of the international medical community and the checks and balances now in place to deal with these threats. Is it possible that another killer virus may develop down the road ----of course it is. We just need to realize that there in confidence that the international community is in a better position to handle and deal with these problems now.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Contagion certainly shows a SHTF scaniorio big time! A good movie as well
The very first one of these virus-type SHTF stories I ever knew about was a two-part episode on the old Escape radio drama series. It was called Earth Abides, and was based on the award-winning, best-selling 1949 book of the same name. Stephen King once acknowledged that this book inspired his novel The Stand.

Though very dated now, its still a good read. Or, if you can find the old radio program, its a good listen.

-- Nighteyes

Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
The very first one of these virus-type SHTF stories I ever knew about was a two-part episode on the old Escape radio drama series. It was called Earth Abides, and was based on the award-winning, best-selling 1949 book of the same name. Stephen King once acknowledged that this book inspired his novel The Stand.

Though very dated now, its still a good read. Or, if you can find the old radio program, its a good listen.

-- Nighteyes
I was going to mention The Stand. Now there was a story. Of course, I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan...

Old 09-15-2011, 06:15 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Sorry, I am soooo bored with all of the "we're all gonna DIE!" movies.

Yeah, we are. Eventually. Probably not by vampires, zombies, or aliens, though.

I think of viruses and bacteria as god's (any god, you pick) stealthy little cleanup squad. Every time man gets too big for his britches, WHAM - a plague or a flu or some little bug turns him right back into a shrieking, me-first-to-heck-with-you barbarian. The only ones who survive are the ones who were already halfway there anyway... NOT usually the loving kind hero who sacrifices his girlfriend or his sacred honor to save others. (I'd hate to be playing the girlfriend in those flicks - kinda like the blonde who always is the first to get it in the slasher movies, or the red-shirts in Star Trek. )

I like watching the little CDC maps during influenza season, especially during H1N1.... ooooh, that state was orange now it's red... look how many red dots have popped up in that country in a month's time... what if...

There are ways to prepare and prevent yourself from being infected by bacteria, viruses, parasites etc even co called "incurable" ones--- and what have you---- that don't involve modern western medicine. I'm 100% prepared and ready for that. (The Ancients, Indians and natural medicine experts have it ALL OVER the so-called modern day allopathic "experts").

If the truth be told, for any chronic or degenerative disease out there, natural medicine is the more cost effective approach out there.

I should be preaching to the choir with that statement. Right? How did the pioneers and Indians survive and thrive all during colonial times? There was no such thing as "prescription drugs" back then. But there was a plethora of herbs and homeopathic remedies which are still available.

However, our "highly esteemed and worshiped" medical establishment knows SQUAT about it. Why? The answer is because helping people get their robust health back permanently MAKES NO MONEY for the medical establishment. They'd MUCH rather prescribe and then have to monitor Rx drugs for you to take for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

People in this country sadly are SO brainswashed that they believe what the doctors and MSM tells them that their "ONLY OPTION" is to take Rx drugs for the rest of their lives.

You know what? If this is the case, our medical establishment in this country may be as backwards as the TSA. I recently learned that the only other countries that use our style of "security" in airports are Bolivia, Poland and Lybia? HOW DOMB CAN WE BE TO LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS?

Sorry for the rant but it is something to think about.

P.S. If you want to know what the remedies are that are medicine chests in a bottle, let me know......

Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Yeah............ P.S. If you want to know what the remedies are that are medicine chests in a bottle, let me know......
Start a thread for that. please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness