Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,547,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The benefit is that flintlocks CAN be built, maintained and shot perpetually without an industrial society to back them up.
Two hundred years ago most American gunsmiths were importing locks from Great Britain. The lock is not primitive technollogy. At that particular time flintlocks had reached their highest state of development; some of the British pieces are extraordinary. A truly primitive gun that could be made without the help of metallurgical innovations is the firelock or matchlock. They're reallly not as bad as most people think. Like any other devices they require practice.

Crossbows and long bows aren't without merit. Both have successfully competed with firearms. However, we are not going to see scientific knowledge disappear in a puff of smoke. People who understand metallurgy, chemistry, and precision machining will be able to turn out automatic weapons with no problem. World War II workshops as well as those in the Viet Nam War provide numerous examples.

Those who seek the primitive should consider the sling (not to be confused with the slingshot) for both hunting and defence. But so many can't consider anything else once they've found their dream weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,902,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Right, because you need modern industry to keep modern weapons functioning...oh, wait...
VICE Travel: Darra, Pakistan - Video Dailymotion

I've got several BP firearms, but by are toys.... As mak just said "if you have" they are potentially viable.

Same with my AK.
I can soak my Ak's in a lake over night too

Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,902,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Two hundred years ago most American gunsmiths were importing locks from Great Britain. The lock is not primitive technollogy. At that particular time flintlocks had reached their highest state of development; some of the British pieces are extraordinary. A truly primitive gun that could be made without the help of metallurgical innovations is the firelock or matchlock. They're reallly not as bad as most people think. Like any other devices they require practice.

Crossbows and long bows aren't without merit. Both have successfully competed with firearms. However, we are not going to see scientific knowledge disappear in a puff of smoke. People who understand metallurgy, chemistry, and precision machining will be able to turn out automatic weapons with no problem. World War II workshops as well as those in the Viet Nam War provide numerous examples.

Those who seek the primitive should consider the sling (not to be confused with the slingshot) for both hunting and defence. But so many can't consider anything else once they've found their dream weapon.
I could live better if you said Rifle locks were imported from Germany 200 years and we had access to assorted other locks from England and France. King George wasn't very happy about us making our own metals of any kind, and was just a bit upset we could make any.

Kind of how gun grabbers are now.... Because they can't they think no one else can or should. Which ever suits them best at the time.

Man kind has been building more complicated machines than guns a long long time.

No Name not many modern day Americans could hand forge a gun barrel like in that video. I can't but i can drill one from a truck axle all day long.....

Of course i don't bother when Green Mountain Rifle Barrels is just up the road...

If you have a good Siler Flintlock to copy anyone can make a lock, The hardening of critical parts takes some understanding and you sure don't want to drop the little fly

There are plenty of box store flinters not worth squat..... That is where flinters get their bad name... Even TC Center flinters suck.

For far better locks one source is Track of the Wolf. They charge high, and in their early days let a lot of folks down but so far they have remained alive.

I have only lost money with them but it was years ago, and once stung i never go back, but they have lasted still and so must have got something right besides a good catalog.

I know people search them for source reference too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness