Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times

Advertisements

Thomas Thwaites: How I built a toaster -- from scratch | Video on TED.com

Worth watching
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times

All very true.

Everything modern is interconnected, from the minimg of raw materials to the sale of the final product. Every step employs people to do things for pay. The thing he misses is the fact that he probably could have gone to the nearest dump and have gotten all of the derived products he needed. In a throwaway society, that discards whatever doeesn't work instead of repairing it, and buys new, one can usually live fairly well if one is skilled in recycling.

40 years ago the owners of this house created a dump on this property. Back then, iron was cheap and easily accessible, so when they gutted several properties around town, they merely cast the old iron from the stores and restaurant back into what we now call "Superfund Gulch". Now with metal recycling at an all-time high and climbing even faster, we consider it our 'buried treasure'. We have already raided it for things like a handcart frame with wheels, 'sandblasted' and aged grey wood panels for shelving, and metal frameworks. Our first year here - before we started collecting wood for the woodstove - the downed trees and branches that had lain there for years gave us dry seasoned wood for the woodstove as well. I even found a few horned cowskulls about...

Of course if you recycle and rebuild, you are not employing anyone else to cater to your needs. So does that make you inherently selfish?

I found it very interesting that the major export from the US to China is - waste paper. 10 years ago, the wood pulp places down south started shutting down because "it was cheaper to buy paper products from China". Does this make sense to anyone?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:23 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

I found it very interesting that the major export from the US to China is - waste paper. 10 years ago, the wood pulp places down south started shutting down because "it was cheaper to buy paper products from China". Does this make sense to anyone?
Sure it makes sense.

Some folks blame the corporations that moved operations from the US to China, to avoid high wages and over-regulation here. I say it was all planned that way from the beginning. So now they have what they wanted, I guess. Now we buy paper products from China -- after they import our waste paper to make those products. It makes perfect sense...doesn't it???

Old 10-15-2011, 12:05 PM

373 posts, read 635,207 times
Default How many of the Chiefs have sold out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sure it makes sense.

Some folks blame the corporations that moved operations from the US to China, to avoid high wages and over-regulation here. I say it was all planned that way from the beginning. So now they have what they wanted, I guess. Now we buy paper products from China -- after they import our waste paper to make those products. It makes perfect sense...doesn't it???
I wonder if and how many of the Chiefs have sold out under the table to China and other countries the way quite a few of the Indian Chiefs did in the 1900's.
I used to see many trucks hauling thin logs and people working multiple shifts at a now defunct pulp mill that had been in operation for generations.

Old county dumps are alway interesting and often now hidden, but someone spreading dirt over the ravine. I used to know and old guy who was fond of looking for things esp bottles. He knew where alot of old homesteads were.

In many ways we may be turning into a Salvage economy. There is alot of material laying around to work with. I salvage everything I can, one part of the family economy people can have genuine control over.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sure it makes sense.

Bill Clinton paved that road straight to red commie china for us at our own expence. He's still laughing at us from the back vaults. Sorry this is political, but it had to be said.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Never underestimate. Buying waste paper gives access to massive numbers of documents and communications that can be valuable in understanding the underpinnings of a society. Once those have been removed, the rest can be reprocessed and sold back.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,998 times
Power of the Market - The Pencil - YouTube - Milton Friedman's critique of central planning fails, and why only the decentralized market can make most products through the miracle of the division of labor - even something as simple as making a pencil (which of course, he got that from the essay below).

Basically just an extension of the famous 1958 economic allegorical essay (or is it a parable - or perhaps even a fable? ... in any case...) by Leonard E Read, I Pencil.

I, Pencil - Leonard Read - Mises Daily (html version)

http://mises.org/books/anything.pdf (page 136 - pdf version)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness