Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
The reason why all the cats where I live, get along just fine with each other...is cause none of the cats has an 'ideol0gy' it's trying to impose on the other cats...

Once the cats are fed, and basic needs met, they prounce about happily and play...
Sorry, just had to chime in on this fundamental lack of understanding of animal behavior... the reason why the cats "get along" is because ONE of the cats is the Big Man on Campus and is imposing his will on all the others, even if he's totally chilled out about it. Direct hierarchy is the basic social structure of most higher-order organisms.

This becomes a problem with humans because at least 25% of the population are either leader-types or independents who like to think and act for themselves, not follow the leader and blindly accept his wishes and mandates.

It results in, basically, the same crazy fighting and turmoil that occurs any time you get a new cat. Chaos reigns until the pecking order is re-established to include the new arrival. But, in the case of a human, the "leader" may not actually be strong/capable/willing enough to completely quell the "upstart"... hence continuous friction. And even the follower-types can get their backs up now and then and be "problematic".

Most people can set aside personal differences for the common good... but they have to agree that whatever is happening actually is for the common good and is the best approach/solution to achieve it. That is where the majority of dissension occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
This becomes a problem with humans because at least 25% of the population are either leader-types or independents who like to think and act for themselves, not follow the leader and blindly accept his wishes and mandates.
I'll also add 65% of the remainder think that they are those types.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Tomorrow is Monday....many people get what's known as 'The Sunday blues'....why?

Cause they know it's back to a mundane scheduale, a mundane job that pays low, and does little to advance their desire for a better lifestyle...

Also Monday means those behind in debt, will be barraged with bill collectors, notices, fines and deadlines, as the machine wakes up...

The machine of anxiody, which contributes to the high depression rate....

Or instead, people could wake up in a nice quiet villiage of sorts, or lodge....with a large central fire place...

knowing their place was secure in the community...
And that their value and worth to others is not based on how much income
they can pump out or what they can buy as a consumer...but rather just cause they are.

To wake up in a place and be valued 'just cause you are'...how many long for that?

And maybe some already have that...but many do not...instead they labour along in isolation...
Brainwashed into following this 1950's template that somehow you can work your way up to the top CEO of Macy's by starting out as a basement janitor...

And even so, what's wrong with that picture?
Should value and self worth always and only come from capitol enterprise?

Truth is, in todays world, if I can steal a line from a movie (the green lantern) But in todays world, if your not 'connected'...forget it...

The Senators son, will get that job before you do...and if not the Senators sons best friend will...
And if not, the Senators sons girlfriends brother will get the job....

And those of us out of the loop are kept hypmotized by this mirage of...

'If you just work hard enough at your minimum wage job, you to can become a millionare'....

The meaning of life has become very artifiscal to many...
We know longer wake up to serve each other in value, love, kindness and principle, instead we wake up to serve the economy....

'Black Friday' is an example of that....is this what we've been turned into?

Group living offers a step away and a step back from that artifiscal template, that leaves the soul hollow in the end....

It's not about ideology or his or that....it's simple about quality of life....
from dusk to dawn...and quality of life doesn't come from chasing a capitolistic dream of living in a big mansion some day...
It comes from every day interaction from others, to get a job done...

Some of the most pleasurable times I've ever had as an adult, was when I had my own place...and work 'work the land'...no not for food, but rather just simple or complex landscaping projects...

I can't explain to you the joy and satisfaction that came from just being left alone, waking up, going out into a few acres, and planting, landscaping, moving earth...

Not for an income, but just because it was there, to excercise the creative side of my being...

Something we all have, and enjoy doing...
You just can't place a value on that need to be free and left alone...
Nor can that desire or urge be satisfied working at KFC....

Or even as an accountant...or nurses aid....it'a ll artifiscal....

I just can't believe how glued most still are to this idea that some how life within the system is still the way to go...boy how we have all been trained well....

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-27-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'll also add 65% of the remainder think that they are those types.
It's not about what or who others are....it's about who 'you' 'I' am and what we, I could add or contribute to such a place...

Worrying about what 'others' are has zero value in my spectrum....or to those who would make it in such described communities....

That form of thinking already sets a place up for failure and ideolgy, which is very corrosive...cause it sets the stage for pointing fingers at others, while not ever working on self....

[most ideologies are built on the premise of how 'bad' other people are, rather than on how 'good' we can be....thus setting up a tone of hostility and resentment for the foundation
of said group. Groups that are started with that premise, 'how bad others are', cannot work in my spectrum...cause they are built on distrust of others, rather than out of love for others...
There's a big difference]

Worrying about problems, and other peoples hypothetical faults, before any thing even occurs, is the biggest crippler to progress...

On my 'farm', every thing has neutral value...no one is judged for what they have done, for what they might do, but rather helped along with what they are doing now...

Maybe I am rare in that I know how to 'let go' and erase the mind of hostility speculation and blame, in such an enviornment...

Maybe cause i spend a lot of time observing nature, animals...even a pet rabbit I use to have....

That rabbit never worried about when it was going to die, rather it lived each day full, content and happy until it died...

So in that rabbits mind, it really never died, cause it never saw it'self as dead until it died...

And I gave it an enviornment where it could relax, be free and happy...

i saw sides of that rabbit that most never could imagine, when in a safe enviornment...

Did you know rabbits have a sense of humor?
Did you know they like to do back flips and acreobatics?

They also like ruffles potato chips....

Things came out of this rabbit, inside of my home, that you could never observe in the wild....

And 'the wild', is what society has become...
In the wild of society, people are so uptight, full of anxiody, trying to protect 'stuff', worried about a place to stay, that you never get to see their loving side anymore...instead most have been morphed into asphalt artifiscal surface creations....

That's not how it was intended to be...

Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM

What are the future prospect for those in their mid 30's, 40's, 50's, who have lost their jobs, living on deminished incomes, and find the skill or training they have or no longer suffice to earn them a living?

What are their prospects?
To watch what they have saved up to that point go by the way side?
And then forced to work some physical labour job, or retail spot, like they did in high school for the rest of their lives until age 67....does that sound fun and fulfilling?

To live with the anxioty of always being 2-3 checks away from loosing everything, your home, or apartment?

And we wonder why so many are depressed...cause we continue to follow a dead or dying template, model of prosperity...

We seek prosperity through institutions that simply want our money and time....

$80,000 just to go to school and learn horticulture...what??

When if on your own land, you could practice horticulture all day long, learn, and teach, all for free...and just for the enjoyment of it...

Wake up people and realize we are all being farmed for our labour and limited time on this earth...

There are alternative ways to live and enjoy life...please let go, and consider...

Forget about elections, polititions, the debt ceiling ect ect...those are all issues none of us can solve...

Problems like that have been marketed just for you, us, in order to get people elected who tell you they can solve it...they can't solve nothing...

Society, societies, were never meant to be this large...

Anyhow...I do hope the discussion will continue...and that someone with the power and resorces to act, will.....

Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
It's not about what or who others are....it's about who 'you' 'I' am and what we, I could add or contribute to such a place...

Worrying about what 'others' are has zero value in my spectrum....or to those who would make it in such described communities....

That form of thinking already sets a place up for failure and ideolgy, which is very corrosive...cause it sets the stage for pointing fingers at others, while not ever working on self....

[most ideologies are built on the premise of how 'bad' other people are, rather than on how 'good' we can be....thus setting up a tone of hostility and resentment for the foundation
of said group. Groups that are started with that premise, 'how bad others are', cannot work in my spectrum...cause they are built on distrust of others, rather than out of love for others...
There's a big difference]
But didn't you say that you'd need
Quote:
That's why a vigorious screening process would be nessisary for entrance...

I would want to hear peoples goals, long term short term...
And their religious beliefs...
So are you planning on performing the vigorous screening process as a means of self-discovery? Or to gather the acceptability of a candidate? If the latter then doesn't this make that screening process "about what or who others are...."

You know you continue to prattle on about stuff, and in it there are so many contradictions, that I can't even begin to tell you that anyone crazy enough to join you in your scheme has my deepest sympathy, here are a few...

Quote:
ideologs are commune destroyers...I already know that...

My commune, or the people I would hope to attract, would simple be about 'practical living'....

I wouldn't want these types in my commune, cause they would destroy it...(sorry if I offend anyone with my list)
But aren't you an ideolog? You have an ideology, and you promote it. So by your statement, you're community destroyer who you wouldn't want in your commune.

Interesting that you call it YOUR commune, no...?

Quote:
Quite time after 10-11 pm....no loud music of any kind, unless it was like a festival or group gathering...

I mean as long as no one tried to impose their will on others, I just don't see this problem...
If "Quite" time is 10-11pm, and there is no loud music of any kind, then isn't that imposing your will on others?

Quote:
Back ground checks would have to be ran to...that would be manditory...

Not financial, but criminal...
Because 'trust' would be the engine of the commune...without trust, none of it would work...

In society abroad, no one trusts each other no more...
This one cracks me up, trust is the engine, but you run a background check, just to make sure the person is telling the truth I assume, which would indicate a lack of trust. In your idea for a commune I guess "no one trusts each other no more...". So much for the engine.

Of course I'll probably get some kind of response to this, like all the rest, which indicates you read the first paragraph, then flies off into never-never land.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
So are you planning on performing the vigorous screening process as a means of self-discovery? Or to gather the acceptability of a candidate? If the latter then doesn't this make that screening process "about what or who others are...."

You know you continue to prattle on about stuff, and in it there are so many contradictions, that I can't even begin to tell you that anyone crazy enough to join you in your scheme has my deepest sympathy, here are a few...
...but aren't you an ideolog? You have an ideology, and you promote it. So by your statement, you're community destroyer who you wouldn't want in your commune.
...Interesting that you call it YOUR commune, no...?
...If "Quite" time is 10-11pm, and there is no loud music of any kind, then isn't that imposing your will on others?
...This one cracks me up, trust is the engine, but you run a background check, just to make sure the person is telling the truth I assume, which would indicate a lack of trust. In your idea for a commune I guess "no one trusts each other no more...". So much for the engine.
Of course I'll probably get some kind of response to this, like all the rest, which indicates you read the first paragraph, then flies off into never-never land.

Thank You, gungnir! I thought I was the only person who was noticing the endless contradictions and flutterbys of incoherent thought with illogical conclusions!

The only thing that I find comforting about this whole thread is that dreamers and fantasizers never ever commit to anything - unless they can use someone else's money and get someone else to take the responsibility for it.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Trying to find contridictions in others, is one of the biggest cop outs ever...an excuse not to act, and instead remain entrenched in the system...

One thing I learned early on...and is what seperates me from most...

Is that I realized no one contradicts themself....that's a very self serving conclusion to come to...

Rather I learned early on, if someone appears to contridict themself, I'm probably not doing a good job of listening....

Plain and simple....

It's a very old, and tried strategy...take away from the positive message at hand, and instead make the messenger the focus of the discussion....

Your right...I doubt you two would fit into a commune very well...rather than working on self, and solutions to everyones needs, your to busy finger pointing at others...

With that mentality, nothing gets done, and all it does is generate what most are trying to get away from....strife...

If it's not for you...it's just not for you...

But there are others out there like me who just simply 'get it'...

And bring solutions, rather than strife...

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-27-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

Quote:
The only thing that I find comforting about this whole thread is that dreamers and fantasizers never ever commit to anything - unless they can use someone else's money and get someone else to take the responsibility for it
Wow, sounds just like Wall Street and Securitie firms, and Corporations and investment groups...

The very thing Wall street capitolism is built on...risk other peoples money and investments...wow....

Old 11-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

Thank You, gungnir! I thought I was the only person who was noticing the endless contradictions and flutterbys of incoherent thought with illogical conclusions!

The only thing that I find comforting about this whole thread is that dreamers and fantasizers never ever commit to anything - unless they can use someone else's money and get someone else to take the responsibility for it.
Well given the company on this board, FB, Mac, Chris, FTA, TMWNN, you myself and others who have all stepped to greater or lesser degree's from corporate life, I find it incredibly funny too.

It's kind of like the following condensed dialog every time I read this thread...
"But you don't need to work for the 'Man'"

"Yes I know, early 40's and I'm retired, my cost of living went way down, I have about as much residual income now as I had when I was employed."

"Please repeat my last sentence..."

"Oh Shut the FU!"

Thing is people who do not commit, do not commit. Either with their resources or others. They'll just fly in spend their resources, struggle, and fly back out again while stating, that someone else caused their downfall. People charged too much, or didn't put in the effort needed, or whatever. Never looking at the fact that either they expected too much, or didn't themselves put in enough effort.

There are two proverbs I like.

Whenever you point the finger at something, there are always three pointing back at you (unless you're Mickey Mouse and then there's two).

We have two ears, but one mouth, perhaps so we listen twice as much as we speak.

I think someone could do with a whole bunch of listening, and a whole bunch less of talking.

Last edited by Gungnir; 11-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Bypassing profanity filter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness