Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:13 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,701 posts, read 14,040,547 times

Advertisements

...and I ask the produce manager how often deliveries are made to the store.

Daily.

All day daily.

Then I asked him what would happen if the store didn't receive anything for a day.

Depending on the day (Sunday or Tuesday, etc.) they'd prob'ly be out of certain things in roughly 24 hours.

He chuckled when he said:

"Come in Thanksgiving morning and try to purchase Stove Top Stuffing".

Just a reminder to everyone about how fragile our system is, and how we've become accustomed to getting things RIGHT NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,609,540 times
Simply try to buy a shovel during a major snow-storm (typically only 2 days notice) , stores can't keep enough of them so you would be snowed in unless u pay someone or dig a frozen snowed driveway with your hands and a hammer.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,161,162 times
I used to be a grocery store manager at night, doing ordering and stocking. usually we kept 2 days of food and supplies on hand in the back, and that was just the overstock. that means items that would not go on the shelf after getting it delivered by truck.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,839,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I used to be a grocery store manager at night, doing ordering and stocking. usually we kept 2 days of food and supplies on hand in the back, and that was just the overstock. that means items that would not go on the shelf after getting it delivered by truck.
A good deal of the grocery stocking I see is actually being done by employees of the company with the product rather than store employees. I've seen this at local grocery stores as well as places like Wal-Mart.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 PM

25,434 posts, read 18,567,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Just a reminder to everyone about how fragile our system is, and how we've become accustomed to getting things RIGHT NOW.
Yep. Just one aspect of our Sandcastle's vulnerability.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,664,186 times
Having once been a department manager for Wal-Mart, I have thought about this a lot - not only from the 'sudden shortage' aspect, but from the easily-interruptible aspect. There are so many links in the chain of providing goods to people that one damaged link and it all falls down.

Most of our goods are shipped in - and that includes food - from other countries. We as a nation buy 70% of our beef from Argentina, most of our fruits and vegetables from South America. Some cleaning and household products are made in America, but for the most part, everything else, from chainsaws to dog food, is made overseas. If the ships stop coming, if the ports are closed, if the trucks and trains stop rolling, if the warehouses are destroyed or stop shipping, if state or city borders are closed, most folks who are not prepared are pretty much going to do without after two days. The transport and supply lines are fragile enough to be affected by anything; political upheaval, pandemic, weather, fuel prices, terrorism, any and everything could have a long-lasting impact. As a Wal-Mart manager, oftentimes my orders were interrupted and delayed by all sorts of things - a sudden freeze where the plants were greenhoused that prevented the shipping of plants in time for a sale, a computer glitch that caused disruption in the stocking of trucks or the transport of items, even in the weekly printout of scanned prices and changes. Delays cost money; stockers get paid for doing nothing or have to be sent home when the trucks don't come, and often don't come back in when the trucks finally arrive (wrong shift, too many hours on the clock) and other employees have to be used to stock - a small ripple of error can cause enormous expense. And there are a lot more errors daily than you can imagine, because the supply chain has so many fallible links. The unpredictability of each human or computerized link in the chain is very fragile. When it all works - or even half-works - people shop. If there is a broken link that cannot be fixed or gotten around - no one shops.

During the spring Omaha/Lincoln NE floods this year, the sole warehouse that distributed dairy products across the state was flooded and closed. For several weeks, stores scrambled for suppliers from out of state, which cost more. The retailers had to raise their prices - and they never went down. Now the TX lack of peanuts due to drought will affect the cost of peanut butter. As a link becomes broken, costs go up - and don't go back down, because everyone from the retailer to the grower will have to recoup their losses.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,609,540 times
thanks SCGranny for sharing that

Where I work most people work on computer's, only they're mostly computer-illiterate and depend on me to help keep machines running right. If there was a worldwide virus or interruption of Internet service, they would panic at all the work being backed up and not know the first thing to do.... meaning our customers (military travelers) would be SOL. My point being people are to dependent on computers, yet not even knoledgable about those. They're use to everything working perfect, otherwise they curse and complain and take no initiative, then they continue to say they're not paid enough while smoking an 8dollar pack of cigarettes and eating an expensive lunch which they throw away. Few people know a little bit about everything. As a modern society we're to specialized. No one person, not even the biggest geek in the world could solve a frozen operation without lots of outside support.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,452,568 times
As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to call yourself a survivalist or prepper, you need to have a minimum of 6 months worth of food for each member of your family plus a little extra; better if a full year. We have such a supply. Also, you'll need toiletries (soap, toothpaste, etc), paper goods, a water purifier, fuel supply for heat and cooking, and some gas or deisel stabilized and put aside.

How many days' worth of food the supermarkets have, should not even be an issue for anyone on this forum!

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,664,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
How many days' worth of food the supermarkets have, should not even be an issue for anyone on this forum!
I kinda haveta disagree with you a bit here.

It is very important to know how quickly the situation in your area can deteriorate. If there are endless lines at your nearby Sam's or WalMart today, with people buying baskets full of groceries, knowing the time frame of how soon people will start to get hungry and start looking for other resources is pretty important. You don't want to be caught by your unawares if you live near a town or city where a sudden and long lasting disruption in the food supply will affect peoples' behavior. Everything is algebra (dangit, Ms. White was RIGHT!). If there are more farmers, feed lots, farmers' markets and there is (or can be, or has been in the past)more barter going on for food supplies in your area, then these things have to be considered as well.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,839,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to call yourself a survivalist or prepper, you need to have a minimum of 6 months worth of food for each member of your family plus a little extra; better if a full year. We have such a supply. Also, you'll need toiletries (soap, toothpaste, etc), paper goods, a water purifier, fuel supply for heat and cooking, and some gas or deisel stabilized and put aside.

Agreed. You have to remember that we have newbies and those who don't post reading this forum as well.

Lately I've been pressing family members and friends who consider long term food storage as "hoarding" to try to look at it from a different perspective, one as investing in their families' future and as a home based insurance policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness