U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-22-2011, 05:41 PM

829 posts, read 1,417,285 times
Default Living a long healthy life without a doctor

I started a similar topic a while ago, but am curious how many of you think you could live a long healthy life without ever seeing the doctor?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-22-2011, 05:48 PM

3,520 posts, read 2,246,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I started a similar topic a while ago, but am curious how many of you think you could live a long healthy life without ever seeing the doctor?
I think many people can, but it's a gamble. Even if you were to live a completely clean lifestyle, free of all artificial products, illness happens. Cancer, disease, accidents, infection. You can't know you'll need a doctor until you need one.

Unread 10-22-2011, 06:17 PM

12,890 posts, read 11,236,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
35 years and counting.

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Status: "Ha, ha, ha... that's what you get! All on video, buddy." (set 5 days ago)

5,653 posts, read 4,447,367 times
It's largely the lifestyle I've chosen. I'll be the first to admit that I've been very lucky over the years. I try to take care of my body and let it take care of itself when it needs to. I'm not absolutely militant about never seeking medical care, but very nearly so. I can count the number of times I've seen a doctor over the past 25 years on one hand (and those were because my (ex) wife forced me). Wives do have that kind of power.

The biggest question I get is "what if a life-threatening disease comes up?" Well, I guess it comes up and I "move on" and make room for someone who is healthier than I. But, I'm more likely to have a doctor stitch a gash up (I have a couple of times). If I had the skill to do that myself, I probably would.

I understand that "natural health maintenance" is not for everyone. As I said, I've been relatively lucky. Some of you may have read my furious rants about Obama's health care thing. I want no part of it. And I certainly will not be forced to participate. Truthfully, I want to stay as far away from "modern medicine" as I can. I understand the value of the basic antiseptics, antibiotics, and such in cases of an infection that would have killed a person 150 years ago, but is now as easy to cure as taking a pill for a couple of days. But, I have avoided even that for the most part for 25 years.

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:59 PM

4,180 posts, read 4,896,921 times
LOL My doc in my old town was my doc for 20 years. He called me a "medical nihilist". When I was diagnosed with lupus, he backed me in my refusal to take steroids - he knew I knew that they cause long-term damage.

My doc here laughed when I told her what my old doc said. She made up her mind to work with me, not against me, on treatments and care. She finally talked me into going for a complete workup when I was not having flares (I used to get them every 3-4 months before I moved here and changed my lifestyle). I haven't had a major flare since the third month we moved here three years ago, so this spring I went in for the workup. Aside from the lupus, everything was kewl - low BP, low cholesterol, good CBC and chems, all the 'lady parts' were normal. So now she has a base to work from if I have a flare. She won't give me any drugs unless I ask, and she trusts me enough to know what to ask for and when. With the lupus, we have to keep a close eye on kidney and bladder function, but we both know that, so all I have to do is make a call and I get in that day if I have trouble. I've only made that call 3 times in three years, and we solved it with a minimum of fuss and bother. Otherwise - no docs.

BTW, I am eligible for "Obamacare" but I will NOT sign up for it. My health care is my business and my responsibility. Not to mention that - back in the day when I HAD insurance (pre-lupus) the docs all ran every test they could, gave me every script they could write, because they HAD to follow the proscribed treatment criteria stated by the insurance companies (started with medicaid and medicare 'codes' - one of my rants, too.) Since I pay cash for my care now, and I have a doc who knows me and my conditions as well as I, there is no need for repetitive and costly tests to "prove" something to an outside payer - something that the doc and I know already.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:04 PM

9,126 posts, read 3,790,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's largely the lifestyle I've chosen. I'll be the first to admit that I've been very lucky over the years. I try to take care of my body and let it take care of itself when it needs to. I'm not absolutely militant about never seeking medical care, but very nearly so. I can count the number of times I've seen a doctor over the past 25 years on one hand (and those were because my (ex) wife forced me). Wives do have that kind of power.

The biggest question I get is "what if a life-threatening disease comes up?" Well, I guess it comes up and I "move on" and make room for someone who is healthier than I. But, I'm more likely to have a doctor stitch a gash up (I have a couple of times). If I had the skill to do that myself, I probably would.

I understand that "natural health maintenance" is not for everyone. As I said, I've been relatively lucky. Some of you may have read my furious rants about Obama's health care thing. I want no part of it. And I certainly will not be forced to participate. Truthfully, I want to stay as far away from "modern medicine" as I can. I understand the value of the basic antiseptics, antibiotics, and such in cases of an infection that would have killed a person 150 years ago, but is now as easy to cure as taking a pill for a couple of days. But, I have avoided even that for the most part for 25 years.
Completely agree with your last paragraph...every word. Especially being forced to partake in something I don't want to partake in.

I also understand about antiseptics and antibiotics but I'm not going to be pilled to death like so many in this day and age. Seems there's a pill for everything now. People take it and then years later they find out, 'Wow, that really screwed up my health' or it killed them. How many commercials have we seen, how many lawsuits have we heard about, and all those pill commercials themselves, the side affects sound worse than the actual problem the person is having.

Got a headache? Take a pill!
Can't focus? Take a pill!
Can't get it up? Take a pill!
Can't sleep? Take a pill!
Sneezing? Take a pill!
Don't like the color blue? Take a pill!
Not a morning person? Take a pill!
Your car got a flat tire? Take a pill!

Enough!

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:06 PM

46,559 posts, read 40,847,717 times
i have a lota dead friends that did not believe in doctors.
-----an okinawa expression. 1/2 shamen 1/2 doctor
go to doctor but also go to shamen.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:15 PM

12,890 posts, read 11,236,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have a lota dead friends that did not believe in doctors.
And I have a lot that did.

... bet mine is bigger.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM

5,693 posts, read 4,038,901 times
Mega-bucks flow from drug cos. to doctors

A dozen pharmaceutical companies have given doctors and other healthcare providers more than $760 million over the past two years - and those companies' sales comprise 40 percent of the U.S. market.

Mega-bucks flow from drug cos. to doctors - CBS News

They herd you in and out like cattle, and hand out prescriptions like candy. The family doctor doesn't exist today. And if you happen to be w/o insurance and short on cash, then you truly out SOL.

Unread 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM

3,520 posts, read 2,246,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And I have a lot that did.

... bet mine is bigger.
Sheesh, I wouldn't want to be your friend. Sounds like dangerous business.

It's an awfully colored statement to say that all the people you know who've died saw doctors since, you know, most people do see doctors especially as their health starts failing.

You just have to be in charge of your health. It's stupid (yes, stupid) to refuse to see a doctor because of some asinine conspiracy theory, just as it's stupid to run to a doctor for every ache, pain, or twinge that you feel.

The medical community is not out to get you and you're not a victim of the system if you take an aspirin when you have a headache. You know your body better than anyone else and you know when something is out of the ordinary. Take care of yourself and don't be too stubborn to seek help when you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness