Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,568,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Yes, I agree that the poster is definitely showing his/her ignorance and bias, probably based on a police encounter that wasn't taken well. (Speeding, maybe?)

I'm old-school on respecting and liking my local cops.
Maybe the poster realizes that when the day comes that food is currency, cops will be pretty much useless ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,648,521 times
One of my dearest, closest, and most beloved friends is a cop. H is one of the very few people whom I would die fighting for - and whom I know would die fighting for me, if it ever came to that. He and his wife are permanently invited to be our guests, especially if the SHTF.

That said, he and I agree that most cops are a necessary evil; many get into LE simply to wear a badge and intimidate people with a legally-carried firearm. We knew one in particular who used to wear all black on his nights off, and drive around with his semi-autos lined up on his front seat, hoping something would happen... As DH says, some guys you wouldn't let carry your books when you were in high school are now carrying guns.

Cops are people, and have all of the honor and discipline and self-awareness, love and concern and caring, of 'normal' people. Like the rest of the population, though, there are lunatics, crazies, power freaks, frustrated, and just plain vicious cops in the mix as well. The problem is that you don't know which is which until you have to deal with them.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,086,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I can't think of any reason why I will ever need to rely on emergency food in my lifetime. However a few hundred bucks on the king of stored food being whole kernel grain seems like good insurance against the failure of my infallible insight.

Though its what's in your head. Anyone can stick a potato in a dirt bag.
Car breaking down
Fire
Flood
Hurricane
Tornado
Earthquake
Ice Storm
Job Loss.

Want me to keep going?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,861,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There is a thread on this somewhere on here.....A whole lot of things can be used as currency, whether it's needles and thread, bottles of cheap vodka, toilet paper, etc. If it is known you've got a general store to do trading with, you better have the means to protect what you have. If we are ever reduced to a barter economy, there aren't going to be any cops coming by to investigate your burglary complaint.
True and be cause the cops will be out stealing food.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton;21514783[B
]There is a thread on this somewhere on here.....A whole lot of things can be used as currency[/b], whether it's needles and thread, bottles of cheap vodka, toilet paper, etc. If it is known you've got a general store to do trading with, you better have the means to protect what you have. If we are ever reduced to a barter economy, there aren't going to be any cops coming by to investigate your burglary complaint.
I remember a really good one but not the title of the thread. I think it's somewhere in here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/

Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,767,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Maybe the poster realizes that when the day comes that food is currency, cops will be pretty much useless ...
Oh yes, my friends are saying that if/when the day comes that food is used for bartering, they will be their own police because the police officers should be at home with their families. Have no fear they have guns and ammo to protect their investment. The second ammendment is pretty important around these parts.

I think my friends may be a bit fanatical, and I think they are a bit hardcore, flavored with a bit of fear. However, I love the idea of having a stocked pantry. yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM

20,561 posts, read 19,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
"No Country for Old Men" . I 'd like to see that over a box of donuts next time around.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,568,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Oh yes, my friends are saying that if/when the day comes that food is used for bartering, they will be their own police because the police officers should be at home with their families. Have no fear they have guns and ammo to protect their investment. The second ammendment is pretty important around these parts.
That seems to be the consensus whenever the topic comes up.

Quote:
I think my friends may be a bit fanatical, and I think they are a bit hardcore, flavored with a bit of fear. However, I love the idea of having a stocked pantry. yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm.
Fanatical? Nah ... call them "differentially motivated".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1
"No Country for Old Men" . I 'd like to see that over a box of donuts next time around.
Hello, my friend!

Would you believe I've never seen that movie? I'm downloading it as I type this ... but no donuts.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,767,250 times
If you are not aware of it, the Mormons (LDS) "require" church members -- or at least really try to to be prepared with foods. If you seriously wanted to set aside for a "trade item", I would ask a Mormon. Here is some of what a Mormon friend sent me a while back:
Family Home Storage

the second is one she sent me on how to build up a supply
http://familysurvivors.com/lds-food-storage.htm

third is a place to buy foods.
http://www.thereadystore.com/catalog/category/view/id/230 (broken link)

I never have done it; I think some prep ( at least 2 weeks ) is highly sensible, after being stuck 6 miles from a store for almost that long.

However, there are other basics to have for emergencies (like ice storms) and they are "trade goods" -- esp. if you barter your skill with them.

What I know we have right now, because we either had them all along or decided we needed them the last time we had a nasty storm and only the neighbors to rely on: Hand tools for any and all things; make sure you have saws, not just rely on chain saws. I sew; I have an electric machine, but I also have an old treadle machine which takes needles from my electric one. It works, no elec. I keep fabric here - I quilt. Right now, I have muslin and denim by the bolt and fleece yardage and some yardage print material. I have lots of yarn and I knit [a friend spins -- trade goods there]. Lots of books, informational and for reading. Oil lamps and lamp oil for them. Matches or flints... Great advantage if you have no elec. (yep, we have had it out almost 2 weeks) Camping stove and propane for it and a charcoal grill which is also good for wood use ( yep, we have the propane and also the charcoal and wood ) Where we have an unused well for water, we could pump it -- but I should get a darn good filter -- you never really know what is in it.

As to the food thing: Common sense makes me stock, but not with any intent on making it a trade good. I mark canned goods (in black marker) the expiration date and use the oldest first. We can hunt where we live (we do and can butcher the deer -- you need a gun and the bullets for it and the gun is useless without them -- so, reloading and the supplies and skill for it is very useful; I can't, my husband can) and we do have a big garden summers and I can and dry veggies and make jerky. [Longkeeper is a great heirloom tomato if you want to keep seeds; plus you can harvest them green or just as they turn light salmon red and wrap in newspaper or tissue and store in the dark -- and we have eaten them on Christmas. A link to longkeeper: Long Keeper Tomato Seeds ]
We make wine; my neighbor makes beer--Safe to drink if water isn't.
Have a gas stove in your house [You can't light the oven; you can cook on top] Lots of layers for clothes and blankets. Crank radio (no batteries/dynamo). Antiseptic and bandages. Sterile gauze. Medication to be 2 weeks ahead for all who need it. **OLD COOKBOOKS** -- I have my grandmother's from about time of her marriage: 1902. Not a lot of fancy cooking then and simple ingredients on top of the stove make good meals. Have LOTS of SPICES!!! Baking soda and powder. LOTS of Salt (meat can be salted; I wouldn't want to, I could if I had to; the directions are in grandma's cookbooks). Coffee.... all are great when you are needing them.

We lived 12 or 13 days without electric [about 5 years back] and it was really snowy and cold -- and the county water was getting really odd looking at the end (they said their tanks were almost out afterward) -- I had a few gallons of water to drink set aside. It isn't the same as going camping and expecting it. You have an emergency, you have to see what you have and think how to use it with the least waste. I cooked thawing meat first, I think we ate chili for 5 days . Then, Any veggie or thing which would go bad was turned into the minestrone I made and it was kept with some on the stove, the big pot went in the fridge and portioned out to reheat. We do have a generator; but we ran it as little as needed -- just to keep the fridge cool and the heat on, like 30 min. X 4 times a day -- a luxury to have had. Working hard outside in the trees to take down broken branches made us all hungry and, believe me, you eat more and sleep more (I learned to understand why farmers hit the sack so early when it was cold and dark)

Any odd occurrence in nature -- blizzard, ice storm, flood (dear God, I hope to never have that) means you need to be prepared. I would have loved to have had more bread on hand ( if I had corn flour, I'd have made cornbread on top of the stove in my cast iron pan).

We are spoiled as a society. We expect light, heat, running water, a stove..we can run to the store. Not in an emergency. Camping, we think of as an adventure to not have them. If it isn't planned, you will be happy for food you put away, for things you have in the house you can use.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 11-03-2011 at 01:03 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,427,882 times
The reason that so many think the cops "will be pretty much useless" when TSHTF is...because they need to go home and protect their own families. Hmmm...does anybody think of that one? If you were a cop with a wife, mother, and 2 young kids at home, and all hell breaking out around you, where would you go? Home, or to some "cat up a tree" scenario?

So far as I know, LDS requires members to store wheat, powdered milk, and dried beans. Not much variety. If you want advice on what to store, maybe ask somebody else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness