Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Most states have an official State Apiarist

Bee Culture - The Magazine Of American Beekeeping

If you contact this state guy; he will have a list of all bee clubs in your state, and he may also have a list of commercial beekeeps in each county.

For example in NY is it:
Kevin King, Director
NY Dept. of Agr. & Markets
10B Airline Dr
Albany, NY 12235
Email Kevin.King@agmkt.state.ny.us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
How much can you forgive to crooked businesses? You can be a drone and discount everything as a conspiracy theory but really, I think in this case it is a systematic robbery - 70% of all honey tested was pollenless? Says nothing about it on the jar when you buy it.... I mean, is there not enough honey grown in the States and Canada? Why do we need the Chinese stuff? It's not like it sells any cheaper - go to your local grocery store, a small jar if honey is $7-$8!!! You think you are buying gold...

OD
In this case, they shouldn;t be forgiven at all. This wasn;t a case of simply laundering the honey to remove the true CoO, it was a true effort to launder the honey through additional countries to remove the true CoO because the honey was contaminated. I have seen product laundered through other countries so that the label no longer says a product of China but has a lable that says a product of another country. the item itself isn;t in question just they want to remove the negative associated with coming from china. But these folks had contaminated honey (food) that they were laundering through other countries so as to hide the contamination. That is pure criminal in my book.

It gets even more sinister because they were able to launder some of it in such a way that it now appeared to be organic, natural, and unprocessed honey from a country known for its natutral unprocessed organic honey. So not only are people potentially buying the contaminated honey, they are buying it under the assumption its even more pure than most others. Not only is that honey dangerious but it makes people question any honey now from that country.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:46 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
In this case, they shouldn;t be forgiven at all. This wasn;t a case of simply laundering the honey to remove the true CoO, it was a true effort to launder the honey through additional countries to remove the true CoO because the honey was contaminated. I have seen product laundered through other countries so that the label no longer says a product of China but has a lable that says a product of another country. the item itself isn;t in question just they want to remove the negative associated with coming from china. But these folks had contaminated honey (food) that they were laundering through other countries so as to hide the contamination. That is pure criminal in my book.

It gets even more sinister because they were able to launder some of it in such a way that it now appeared to be organic, natural, and unprocessed honey from a country known for its natutral unprocessed organic honey. So not only are people potentially buying the contaminated honey, they are buying it under the assumption its even more pure than most others. Not only is that honey dangerious but it makes people question any honey now from that country.
Agreed. When you buy honey in your local grocery store it says "grade A pure honey". What the heck does that even mean now that I know what I know?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Is there truly a shortage of local beekeepers?

Just find 'Fred' [your local beekeeper]; if your a babe then give Fred a big kiss, if your a dude a firm handshake will be just fine, and buy your honey from him.

Problem solved
Fred, I've heard that some beekeepers use high fructose corn syrup to feed their bees. Is that still true? I think it would be something that consumers of local honey would want to watch out for.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Fred, I've heard that some beekeepers use high fructose corn syrup to feed their bees. Is that still true? I think it would be something that consumers of local honey would want to watch out for.
Yes that is common; mostly to help build-up a colony strength and assist them to survive through the winter.

If your harvesting in the fall, then produced honey is gone before you begin feeding.

Others feed surplus honey, while others feed pure white crystaline refined sugar [I do].

In each case, ask your beekeep. Most are willing to talk to you, and most will gladly give you a tour of their beeyard.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
We also buy our honey from a local producer, whose operation we have visited several times. The stuff available at local farmers' markets, btw, also comes from this producer with different labels.

Because of our SoCal location, the producer offers honey made from the pollen of several specific plant varieties, such as orange, sage, etc. Each has a distinct flavor.

Nearly all of the honey in grocery stores is from clover.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
We also buy our honey from a local producer, whose operation we have visited several times. The stuff available at local farmers' markets, btw, also comes from this producer with different labels.

Because of our SoCal location, the producer offers honey made from the pollen of several specific plant varieties, such as orange, sage, etc. Each has a distinct flavor.

Nearly all of the honey in grocery stores is from clover.
We found that a lot in Australia--there were always at least 10 different kinds of honey in the grocery stores. I have to wonder whether the honey is always clover here though, or whether they just dump it all into one vat and don't bother to distinguish. I swear, everyone in the world eats better quality food than we do--at least in every country I've been to.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:43 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
We found that a lot in Australia--there were always at least 10 different kinds of honey in the grocery stores. I have to wonder whether the honey is always clover here though, or whether they just dump it all into one vat and don't bother to distinguish. I swear, everyone in the world eats better quality food than we do--at least in every country I've been to.
That's because our foundation was robbery and quick buck, others spent the time to do it right ...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
I swear, everyone in the world eats better quality food than we do--at least in every country I've been to.
True, and the reasons are:
1) Americans for the most part don't know from where their food comes - and don't care. They'll rant and rave about food prices, but have literally no idea that, due to a lot of subsidizing and deep agreements, they - unlike the rest of the world - don't pay 60% of their income for food. They'll pay double or triple prices at Whole Foods, or scream about wanting 'organic' but have no idea that each state varies on its definition of organic, and much of it is the same stuff you get from 'non-organic' feedlots and orchards and fields... Many won't eat an egg with chicken poop on its shell, no matter how fresh it is, and most don't know (or care) what it takes to get that neatly-wrapped, boneless, pink piece of meat laying on that foam plate and covered with cling-wrap, to their grocer's freezer.

2) Americans for the most part go for cheap and easy, and have no idea what all of that processing does - they want their microwaveable chicken nuggets and their fast-frozen everything. Most people think that honey is just something you can occasionally use on bread or waffles or pancakes, and don't understand the difference between corn syrup, maple syrup, and honey. After all, it's all sweet stuff, isn't it? What difference does it make if it is processed, combined with other things, or even merely a sweet decocted mass full of artificial flavorings and colors?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Op, I'm sending this story to everyone I know, thanks for posting. I'd never heard of any of these problems, and this week, I WILL find local honey! Maybe I've lived under a rock, but I wish this was more wildly known. And SCGranny, as always, you give great info, but it wouldnt let me rep you again. My sons gf, has severe allergies & is anemic, so I'm hoping she can benefit from this story. Thanks to all for the great info posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness