Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

When I was in a 3rd world country for 6 weeks where no corn is grown and no food products have anything from corn.... I felt starved. Without corn syrup in so many of our foods American's will be a lot thinner, but in SHTF, we would be drooling for processed sugary corn ingredients and raw corn itself. My American blood was so sweet in India that I had 100s of mosquito bites while everyone else had none. CORN IS DAMN GOOD. Give me a torilla meal or fruit roll-up any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Something interesting and not completely off-topic - are you aware that you can tell the Monsanto corn quite easily from non-GMO corn?
Cows will not touch it. You can turn cattle loose in a field of cornstalks of Monsanto corn - and they will eat the grass and weeds around it, but not touch the Monsanto stalks. Part of the ranchers' methods around me to clear their fields naturally in the fall is to use or rent their cornfields to cattle ranchers for winter feed up. If they planted Monsanto GMO corn - the cattle will starve first. But the 'hybrid' corn, sweet or field, that has been merely crossed with other corn types, not the Monsanto GMO? They'll graze it flat in nothing flat.

You can't tell a rancher or his cattle that there's no difference.
I've read this before. However if the premise is correct, why do deer, raccoons, etc... eat the heck out of GMO corn in the field?

As far as food storage and dried grains/legumes on the cheap, I think I'll stick with a variety of beans, wheat, quinona and such. They can be ground for flour as well as used for sprouts or planting. I like the idea of multi-pupose. To date aside from some corn meal I don't have dried corn in my food preps at all.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I've read this before. However if the premise is correct, why do deer, raccoons, etc... eat the heck out of GMO corn in the field?

As far as food storage and dried grains/legumes on the cheap, I think I'll stick with a variety of beans, wheat, quinona and such. They can be ground for flour as well as used for sprouts or planting. I like the idea of multi-pupose. To date aside from some corn meal I don't have dried corn in my food preps at all.
Good question - although raccoons and deer eat a lot of things most 'civilized' animals won't, and most humans won't (or can't). Nevertheless, it is true - it is a topic of conversation every fall with the ranchers I live around. Who planted GMO corn, who is grazing what fields, and who can't.

Kinda boring topics I guess for those not involved. But I've seen it myself - last year, we got a bunch of GMO stalks given to us by a friend - the cows wouldn't touch them, they stomped them into the mud and snow. This year, we got some field corn stalks - they practically tore them out of my hands before I could get them off of the truck! And the Dexter breed we raise are pretty well known for eating a lot of things that the Angus and Charolais won't touch...

Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
When I was in a 3rd world country for 6 weeks where no corn is grown and no food products have anything from corn.... I felt starved. Without corn syrup in so many of our foods American's will be a lot thinner, but in SHTF, we would be drooling for processed sugary corn ingredients and raw corn itself. My American blood was so sweet in India that I had 100s of mosquito bites while everyone else had none. CORN IS DAMN GOOD. Give me a torilla meal or fruit roll-up any day.
I can't eat whole corn (forbidden, makes me ill) and the only corn I eat is corn meal. We use honey, not corn syrup (even in pecan pie!) and grow our own meats and vegetables, no processed corn syrup there. This spring when I take my beekeeping class I'll start to raise my own bees since honey is getting so expensive - plus I'll be planting 125 fruit and nut trees, I'll need more than the occasional bumble to pollinate them and my garden.

I do miss my grits, though. Have to order more from Amazon... they don't 'do' grits here.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
We get 50 lb sacks of "feed" corn all the time at substantial discount. There is no difference between feed corn for animals and dent corn for humans other than a few extra cleaning steps. I can live with dust and chafe if the price is nearly half!

Dried dent corn is great for grinding into meal for baking, cooking and porridge (grits & polenta). It's MUCH easier on your grinder than using popcorn for those purposes. Although any dried corn is going to beat up your hand mill, so get a good/heavy one if you're planning to do corn (or barley).

Sweet (table) corn is an entirely different variety from dent corn. Dent corn is rather bland for plain table eating as "corn" for a side dish vegetable. Nearly all sweet corns are hybrids, especially the super sweet ones. Open pollinated heirloom "sweet" variety aren't anywhere near as sweet as the grocery store hybrids are... but they are a bit sweeter than most feed/dent corns. In any case, we also get dried sweet corn to eat as a veg, not just dent corn for grinding... you can still save a bundle if you buy that in bulk from Walton Feed and the likes (but not as much as "feed" corn vs. "dent" corn).

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 12-18-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness