Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times

Advertisements

Should a sling shot (Wrist Rocket) be part of our kit?
Thoughts?
I haven't shot one in decades, but it does seem like a viable tool for taking birds and other small game.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
No, the rubber slings lasts only a few years and its near impossible to kill anything with them. A simple bow and arrow would be far preferable.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I have a couple of them that are well over 10 years old. Still work just fine. They would come in really handy (along with a handful of rocks) if you were trying to ward off an intruder. You can really zing small projectiles at high speed with these things. Beats having to be close enough for hand to hand combat any day. I tend to agree that killing anything for food with one would be pure luck.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default There is a youtube of and old guy

Dates back to the depression. The old guy as a kid got to have a nice meal if he snagged a squirrel. Got good at it for the whole family liked to eat meat. He may have got some other critters too. Many decades later he was still really good. He even made the slingshots. He sells them now and you can watch him in action.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Try using them with 230-grain lead projectiles. They'll kill something then, particularly from a full draw...

The bands are (or used to be) surgical rubber tubing. With the proper care they'll last a very long time.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I use to sling rocks really far into the sky with them lol. They can kill a person if u hit them in the head. I would use one to kill a big bird if I was right up on it but still need practise. I think it's a cruel way to try and get food though. Maybe look at traps. Won't hurt to practise to use in self defense.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Try making an atlatal. Easy to make and you make the arrow or spear yourself. No rubber.

Precision Atlatl & Dart Systems - Atlatl.com - Atlatl Bob - Maker of Authentic Atlatl Systems

How to use an Atlatl - YouTube

Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I have a couple of them that are well over 10 years old. Still work just fine. They would come in really handy (along with a handful of rocks) if you were trying to ward off an intruder. You can really zing small projectiles at high speed with these things. Beats having to be close enough for hand to hand combat any day. I tend to agree that killing anything for food with one would be pure luck.
Ball bearings are the best ammunition for a powerful sling shot. They fly accurately; enough so that hitting something beyond five yards is a function of skill rather than luck.

I made a slingshot out of a crapemyrtle fork and surgical tubing more than fifteen years ago. The tubing shows some signs that it would probably fail with regular use now, but I can still hit a gatorade bottle from across the yard.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Expensive ($11-$12/100) ammunition for sling shots are the .44 or .45 caliber round lead balls for muzzle loaders. I would still rather put the balls in front of a little black powder.

By the way; sling shots are illegal in in eleven states. NY has a qualifier that the sling shots with wrist-braces are illegal: http://www.blowguns.net/legal.htm I think that everything is illegal in NJ - including pepper spray and mace. Hollow point ammunition is also illegal in NJ.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Try making an atlatal. Easy to make and you make the arrow or spear yourself. No rubber.

Precision Atlatl & Dart Systems - Atlatl.com - Atlatl Bob - Maker of Authentic Atlatl Systems

How to use an Atlatl - YouTube
The atlatl is a cool idea, but that's a relic from the days of persistence hunting when a group of males would chase hooved game to the point of exhaustion and then all of them would throw spears at once to open enough cuts for the animal to bleed out. It's not a very practical weapon system and the projectile probably doesn't have enough mass to reliably produce incapacitating wounds (or wounds that would be fatal in an acceptable time frame) on deer sized game. Unless you run all the fight out of a deer first, you'll never find its carcass if you try to kill it with an atlatl.

You're much better off purchasing a compound or recurve and becoming proficient with it.

EDIT: Someone just made a very good point via rep comment... Even though a powerful bow is capable of taking about any terrestrial species, it's quite simply at a technological disadvantage to the venerable .22 long rifle. For a similar gear weight you would really be even better off carrying a Nylon 66 with a full magazine.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 12-12-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness